whats the latest and greatest esc
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:34:52 am »
Hey guys, Ive been out of this for a little while. well im back at it :) I have a BO hex with a revo. My question is, what are the new esc's today. I was running hug escs and had bad luck with them. my motors are t motor 1806-2300. I think oneshot was just coming out when I stopped flying. I have been poking around the forum for a couple days but havent found a solid answer.

thanks
Nate( yes the water still sucks)

Mateusz

Re: whats the latest and greatest esc
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 07:57:32 am »
Hi Nate,

A couple of things changed since OneShot.

• Digital shot (D-Shot) came out, which is robust against noise and does not need to be fast to average jitter
  • BLHeli_S came out which works smoother perhaps thanks to hardware PWM
  • Another attempt for ARM ESCs also...

When it comes to D-Shot all ESCs on the market with BusyBee (BB/BB2) chips support it. Basically everything that you can flash with BLHeli_S should be fine. BLHeli_s sounds smoother when motor runs, you can really hear that.

There is some attempt from BLHeli team to go commercial and license BLHeli32 for new line of ESCs which would likely be locked so they can be flashed only with computer that has internet access and with BLHeli32 firmware. DON'T BUY THESE. My personal opinion on this, this is shameful activity, trying to milk money from people and protection to prevent open-source firmware (potentially better competition) being installed on these ESCs. There has been multiple attempts before on F0 ARM ESCs not only KISS32 but they all never got so popular, basically because of price these MCU cost. Furthermore, writing a code for STM32F0 mcu to control ESC is trivial and hence they would need protection to milk money from customers, so no one else can write/flash software. So big warning, don't buy these unless you are sure it will be possible to flash open-source firmware on them in future.

I buy BB2 mcu with BLHeli_S ESCs for all my recent micro builds.

/Mateusz
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:58:49 am by Mateusz »

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 09:53:48 pm »
thank you for the info. greatly appreciated

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:15:58 pm »
I build 330 to 500 sized quads and I buy USD $3.50 (shipped) 30A ESCs on eBay and flash / update SimonK (COMP_PWM) or BLHeli (light damping) on them and use PWMSync (500Hz, so max=1900).

Maybe I am missing something :) , but I haven't felt a need to try anything better than this least expensive option on the 5 or 6 quads I have built in the last few years.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 04:06:52 am »
TheOtherCliff, im truly in the market for new esc's the last batch of hug esc's I got I burnt up somehow. They were from Readytoflyquads.com. i was just checking to see what is new since its been about 3 years since I have flown. 

Mateusz

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:44:45 am »
last batch of hug esc's I got I burnt up somehow.

Mhm, I thought this

• Make sure you buy ESCs without regulator ("opto") there is no need of extra heat on each ESC
  • ESC became smaller, make sure you buy ones above your Amperage needs, especially if you fly aggressive you might need higher Amp ESC
  • If you enable active barking, they gonna work more
  • Don't install ESCs in one place, no 4in1, install them on arms where you have more airflow
  • Carbon fiber is conductive so put some isolation on the arms (capton tape) and don't shrinktube them completly to still allow some airflow

But mostly you might need higher Amp ESCs, good thing is they good so much smaller now you can easily fit 30A in small racer ;)

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 03:11:21 am »
so i think that im going to go with the spedix 20a lite from what I gathered this meets what everyone suggests.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 02:33:21 pm »
is there an official site to buy a revo or revo nano? if not what is the best place to buy 1? I need a FC 

thanks

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 06:15:49 pm »
Revos are available from many places.  I haven't bought one recently.  I would search the forum and/or start a thread about sites for good FCs at good prices rather than hijack this thread.

The issue is that some are good and some are bad.  There are also 5 different board sizes / feature sets:
- full sized but missing RF section
- full sized with vertical servo pins
- full sized with horizontal servo pins
- mini full featured
- mini with RF put in a separate box at additional price

The only place (that I am aware of) that sells the overstock of OP Nanos is this.  I have bought two and both were perfect.  $30 shipped.  Be careful because the shipping can jump to a very high price by adding things.
https://sasquatchlabs.org/product/genuine-nano-flight-controller-w-case/ (sasquatchlabs.org web store has closed)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:07:37 pm by TheOtherCliff »