AeroR

Re: Open Pilot Revolution + GPS
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 01:16:30 pm »
Hi Mateusz and TheOtherCliff,
Thank you for the detailed explanation about the regulator.
I finally managed to find a YT video showing how to solder the 7805 Vreg to a quadcopter.
After soldering the 7805 to the PDB I keep getting the same reading of 5.02V all the time.Does this matter?
When I plugged in the 4S lipo   and connected the FC, I was so happy to see that the board was powered up by the voltage regulator.
Shortly after,  I decided to update the FC through the GCS(16.09) and calibrated the quad and ESCs and Tx.Everything went smoothly and loaded all default setting.
But When I took it outside in the garden  to see if it would fly, I was a bit disappointed that it flipped over on it's "head" and  turned upside down on the very first try.
Tried couple more times until I broke two props.Then decided to stop trying and get some advice from the forum.
All up weight is 556 g.
I have yet to set up the failsafe mode and mode 2 flying.
Can anyone  PLEASE advise me what could be wrong and I would like to have some basic settings to start very slowly instead of the default as it does not seem to be working as I was expecting it to work.
Many thanks again.
Regards,
Rohan

Mateusz

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 05:25:20 pm »
Voltage is fine. Usually people make the following mistakes that cause quad to flip, I will make a list and you can check them one by one
  • Flight controller mounted in wrong orientation, arrow must point forward motors
  • ESC (servo) cables connected to wrong channels so motor 1 is 2 or so on...
  • Motors not spinning in correct directions (inwards in front and back of copter)
  • Propellers that are marked R for reverse mounted on props that spin in other direction. You usually have R and without R marking props.
  • Adding too little throttle so quad is not lifting off but trying to stabilize and flipping.

I bet something with first points, check cables, motor directions, esc numbering. LP motor order is different than Cleanflight motor order. Check FC orientation as well.

P.S Before of anything of abovd, MUST do is to set failsafe.
Take off props for this, throttle up not to much as that is bad for motors when they run high speed without load(props) but you want it to be tested on ground. Turn off your radio, if failsafe works motors should stop. There are two failsafe usually, one on your receiver and it should be set to no-pulse and one on FC that detect no-pulse and does something. You should use default failsafe to cut motors completly. Thats safest and preferable. Dont set low throttle as depending on weight or props, battery that number might cause flying up. Safest is zero throttle on failsafe and drop on ground.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:31:29 pm by Mateusz »

AeroR

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 10:24:45 am »
Hi All,
I'm still struggling with CC3D set up.
I managed to clean up the wiring on my old bambucopter frame and all the ESCs and motors are still working fine.
Issues are the same after flashing and configuring the quad in the GCS.
Today decided to try again but this time it refuses to arm and I have noticed a slow blinking blue light only on the board.
This is getting a bit frustrating to say the least.I have spent countless hours just trying to make this work without any luck.
Not sure if it is a faulty board or not as I bought this board privately from RCgroups member from the US at the time.(Almost 5 years ago) To make matters worst,I can hardly identify any fault as it is recognised in the GCS and flashed correctly all the time I try.
I have this Revolution board showing  a slow blinking  red and blue light (steady green power light)after trying to flash version 16.09.My intent is to try the Revo board and try to identify if there are  any issues with the board /or the quad itself.
Please have a look at the pics and let me know if there is anything wrong with the REvo.
Thanks,
AeroR

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 03:27:49 pm »
I started to reply last night, but I couldn't figure out whether you have CC3D and Revo or one or the other and which problem you wanted to discuss.

Also, it is important to know whether it is a fast blink, a slow blink, or slow fade.  Probably a video would be best for this?

AeroR

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 04:22:22 pm »
Hi TheOtherCliff,
Thank you for the quick response.
I finally managed to get CC3D up in the air today for a 1 minute or so with my old trusty Bambucopter.I must say that it flew really well for that short time without any oscillation.Just need to adjust the trims a little bit as it seems to be drifting to the south all the time.
Will try a proper maiden on the weekend and see how it goes.
Spec of the Bambucopter mini quad are:
230mm frame size,
Motors: Turnigy T 1811 2000 Kv
Escs: Turnigy 12A
Lipo: 3S 1000 25C
AUW: 360g
FC: OP CC3D.

The OP Revo is the FC that I flashed with16.09 version and having these blinking lights.They are fast blinking blue and red light.
Not sure if this is a bad sign or what.This FC is the original Open Pilot production release.
Also, would you say that Sparky 2.0(Taulabs) is identical to OP Revo in terms of features(cpus, sensors etc)or is one better than the other?

Thank you.
Regards,
AeroR

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 04:32:20 pm »
On Revo, very fast blinking alternating orange and blue (so fast you can't really count it) happens for several seconds just after power up and again for a shorter time at arming (but not with INS13).  It is calibrating the gyros and if you are going to fly it, it must be motionless during these calibrations.  The calibration won't complete if you have it in your hand and are thus moving it.

Medium alternating blue orange is something else, and the length of the color means something.

AeroR

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2017, 12:01:07 pm »
Hi All,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped me with my CC3D set up and answer all my questions.
Unfortunately I haven't been so lucky to make the most out of the CC3D FC for various reasons. Now I have decided to move on with a new FC that I have been reading about lately and it seems it has a lot of following and support on the RCgroups.
Yes, I have decided to get myself the Flyduino KISS FC and ESCs and will be mounting those on the Alien 5'' FPV quad.Have already ordered the parts, just waiting for them to arrive in the mail.The reason for choosing this particular flight controller is: 1.It is an F3 board with minimal fuss to set up for newbies. 2. Strong support on the RCgroups forum.
Again, I would like to thank you all for your generous time in answering all my questions.
I wish Librepilot team all the best and hopefully if there are any new FC realease with F4 or better and GPS in the future, I might be back again.

Thank you.
Regards,
AeroR

Mateusz

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2017, 12:43:36 pm »
Hi AeroR,

I am glad if we could help! Pity you couldn't solve your problems. Having said that, I am pretty sure that you know, but to clarify if needed, KISS FC is indeed a really nice flight-controller, but as far as I know it's not an autopilot. It is a racing board as it does have neither of hardware of firmware to perform autonomous flight. Depending on chip but average F3 is has the same Cortex-M4 core as F4, but a bit less SRAM and additional programmable inverter which F4 does not. It's something meant to fill the gap between F1 and F4 and mostly used on racing flight-controllers. Also KISS FC firmware is closed source. It's more like changing from GNU/Linux to Apple's MacOS. It should be possible to install BetaFight firmware on KISS FC, but again it's an another racing oriented firmware. If you look for racing board probably any F3 board with BetaFlight would do as good as KISS FC I think. Also LibrePilot runs fine on SPRacingF3Evo and derivative boards and PicoBLX using next, with more F3 targets to come, supporting built-in OSD and SDcard logging.

I don't find anything difficult with LP to setup racing board, wizard, autotune, 3 banks which can be switched in flight, telemetry but maybe other firmware is easier for you and suits you better, try it and enjoy flying ! :)

AeroR

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 04:57:09 am »
Hi Mateusz,
Thank you for your response.
Advice taken on board. Have decided to give a final shot at CC3D. Waiting on couple of frames and parts to try the board.
Have ordered a micro 130 mm(3")Japalura FPV frame to see if this can work.
Will keep you posted of my progress.
Just to let you know that I have no technical background which makes things a little bit challenging at first. But with the help of members like you and others, hopefully I can get this thing flying again soon.
I'm very happy with the support here.
Many thanks again.
Regards,
AeroR

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 07:35:01 am »
I know it sounds strange, but never adjust your transmitter trims.  They must remain where they were when you ran the transmitter wizard.  If you really don't remember where they were, you can either hover in Rate mode and adjust trims with Rate to re-center the trims using Rate, or set trims to factory default and run just the transmitter wizard again.

The reason for this is that the trims (Attitude mode) don't really stay trimmed.  You wind up needing more and more trim, and then the next flight you suddenly have too much trim.

Hovering (simple hover only) in Rate mode is not that hard.  If you can hover a whole battery in Attitude, you can hover in Rate.

Once you have the transmitter trims matching what they were when you ran the wizard, if it drifts during hover in Attitude mode (Stabilized1), then you must use Attitude -> Settings -> RotateVirtual to fix the drift.
 - if it is drifting forward you subtract from pitch
 - if it is drifting left you subtract from roll

Once you get all this correct, you might want to adjust the PIDs and if you are flying long distances in Attitude, like for FPV, eventually move to using Rate mode.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:38:22 am by TheOtherCliff »

Mateusz

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 07:56:04 am »
For the LEDs status. If you want more detailed info these youtube movies might help, but yeah video like Cliff said, would help us to tell.
  • CC3D LED
  • Revolution LED

Also someone made a table like this http://opwiki.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user_manual/revo/leds.html
So as you can see, the problem is when there is only red led on. Otherwise it's just a notification of something happening, like "zeroing gyros aka dont touch me now".

P.S If you are referring to CC3D that's racing board, the board you show on pictures is not CC3D, it is Revolution board see https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Supported+Hardware

CC3D = CopterControl 3D it is a different hardware than Revolution.

Unfortunately, Chinese started putting on market Revolution chained up with other names, to get more google hits, so you might end up with name Revolution Sparky2 etc.. when they really mean Revolution.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:05:49 am by Mateusz »