Solved: Help, broke small strip off bottom of CC3D
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:35:26 pm »
I accidently broke a small strip-like component off of my CC3D board.  It has been running LibrePilot firmware fine up to this point.  However, now only the power LED comes on when I plug it into my computer (via usb).  The blue status LED does not turn on and windows says the device has malfunctioned.  Attached is a picture of the back of my board and a close up of where the strip was (I lost it because it is so small).  It appears to be labelled 'x'.  The strip spanned between the two metal connectors on either side.

Amazon link to the specific board: https://www.amazon.com/YKS-OpenPilot-Controller-Quadcopter-Multicopter/dp/B019F4A8FI/ref=sr_1_2

Thanks in advance!
Josh
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:16:10 am by Joshua Jurgensmeier »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Help, broke small strip off bottom of CC3D
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 11:56:41 pm »
You broke the Xtal - 8Mhz

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 12:14:15 am »
Thank you for the reply.  Do you have any suggestions as far as fixing/replacing it goes?  Theoretically I could find it, but otherwise I could buy a replacement.  Assuming one of those panned out, would I simply need to solder it back on? (I say simply...)

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 12:41:23 am »
If you broke the top off the crystal and now the CC3D doesn't work, the chances of fixing it are probably not worth the time you will spend on it.  If I had a junk CC3D that had a good crystal, a soldering reflow station, and the experience to solder really tiny stuff, I would try to fix it.

CC3D's are cheap.  Get one coming in the post.  A standard model is about USD $10 shipped on eBay if you can wait a few weeks to get it, else pay a bit more for quicker/local shipping

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:17:22 am »
I have none of those things  ;D.  Ordering a new one now.
Thanks,
Josh

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 06:02:38 am »
I knew there was something I forgot to mention.  You generally shouldn't use metal mounting hardware for the FC.  No metal screws or nuts.  Don't let it touch metal or carbon fibre.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 06:08:27 am »
Nice catch, thanks a lot!  This is my first build, and it has been quite the experience.  I'm more into the software side of things, so if I could just hot glue everything I would.  As far as an fc goes, I think I'll get an Atom board this time (and with a case so I don't make the same mistakes).

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 06:40:56 am »
Atom's don't have mounting holes, so they are a little more of a pain to mount.  Same with RevoNano FC.  I just use 2 sided tape on the case for 'Nanos.

Also, you might begin to think about when you would be interested in GPS, RTB (RTH), waypoint flight, GPS flight modes, telemetry, AutoTune, and new feature in general...  CC3D memory is full and generally doesn't get new features, but it also only costs 1/4 as much as a Revo/Sparky2.  1/3 as much as a 'Nano.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 07:13:38 am »
I like tape.  In regards to a more expensive FC, I am actually only using the FC for auto-stabilization.  I am making an autonomous quad with a Raspberry Pi.  Essentially, the RPi is generating PPM and sending it to the FC to control the motors (which I had working until I broke my board...).  So, I have plenty of computational power for barometer, compass, and GPS.  :D  I'll make a post about it sometime on here.

Josh