D shot esc using libre pilot
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:53:48 am »
Ok so I have a cc3d mini and I've flashed the libre pilot and it flys ok under heavy throttle Iam getting weird oscillations. So I did some research and I purchased the f40 esc combo and the esc are running d shot. So my question can I setup libre pilot for the esc to help correct the oscillations. Or what I'd like to do is switch to beta flight which has the option to run d shot. So I've tried to load the firmware to switch over but I cant get it to do it. Libre pilot is reading the cc3d and I can make changes to it but it won't go into bootloader mode to reflash beta flight. I've followed several how to and downloaded all the drivers and nothing. My lights on the cc3d green is solid and blue flashes quickly then changes to a steady flash. I got a feeling it has something to do with the drivers. In device manager under usb tab the cc3d is recognized as Copter Control. And the bottom of my windows home screen says drivers are installed and ready to use. I did the Vadig driver deal but I can't find stm32 to install driver. How do I get stm32 driver to show up in the Zadig so I can install the driver. In libre pilot when I try y flash it say no dfu. And in beta flight says no stm32 no response
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 02:00:03 am by Blake293 »

Re: D shot esc using libre pilot
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 03:16:09 am »
I doubt that you will notice a difference between Dshot and Oneshot.  Dshot isn't available in 16.09, although I think dshot support is planned for the next release.

The issue you describe is typically fixed by enabling and tuning TPS (other brands call it TPA) which you configure to tell it how much you want it to reduce your PIDs at higher throttle.  You configure it with a curve.

You can't flash any brand of firmware but LP/OP from the LP GCS.  You will have to research the other brand to determine how to flash their bootloader when the board has foreign bootloader/firmware on it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:19:43 am by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 05:09:50 am »
Well Hack I've been OP since I started the hobby so good deal I'll keep rocking it. So I'll adjust the pies and see what happenens. Any dates set for the new release.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:33:16 am »
When I guess about release dates, I'm usually wrong.  ;)

And this time I don't even have a guess.

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 07:54:19 am »
Oscillations are usually cause by either PIDs that are not optimal, or indirectly by vibrations (too high P-term will be amplifying your vibrations). At the bottom I am attaching movie about PIDs tuning.

Assuming you have low vibration build, tuned PIDs properly your optimal PIDs for your build are tuned to certain battery level and hover throttle. For some copters the range in which PIDs are optimal is very narrow so once you are outside of that range (very low or very high throttle) copter oscillates.
This could perhaps be fixed with some adaptive PID controller (don't know any firmware doing that), Betaflight has battery compensation, and LP has throttle PID scaling (TPS). You just need to enable TPS if you have problem of low and high throttle oscillations..

Changing ESCs most likely wouldn't solve your oscillation problem, unless you change something by chance additionally, it would (like happens to many people) lead you into thinking that ESCs actually fixed something, but that's independent and not directly related and would be wrong conclusion.

About Dshot. As much as I bet you will not notice difference between OneShot and Dshot (I am still flying OneShot on most older builds), I am sure you will notice the difference between older BLHeli and newer BLHeli_S firmware for ESCs. Newer ESCs that are Dshot capable also happen to run rewritten BLHeli_S! :) Nice thing is that most of these ESCs are based on EFM8BB2 chip (busy bee 2) and use hardware PWM (not bit banging like older ESCs) also PWM is synchronous to master clock this means motors run consideribly smoother and more quite. You will definitly notice that with BLHeli_S firmware, but this is underelated to DShot protocol itself :) P.S ESC protocol is auto-detected so DShot esc should work with OneShot.

Here movie
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:58:58 am by Mateusz »