karla

Re: My LibrePilot VTOL TiltRotor FixedWing
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2017, 05:54:45 am »
Will not be flying and testing it this time in Europe, time too short this trip  :'(
Next shot in mid feb in Hainan  :P

RcV

« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2018, 11:33:15 am »
I have now got all the servos and motors set up correctly so they move respectively spin in the correct directions as well as make corrections correctly when I tilt the flight controller around while in stabilization flight modes.
Very Good!
Hi. Sounds like you have done a great job. Did you have to modify the code to get the results you were after or were you able to do it all using the "Custom" tab in the configuration user interface?

I checked the Wiki but couldn't really tell what is possible with the "custom" tab. Can we turn on the accel during hovering and turn it off when we are at 45 degrees tilt or in forward flight modes?

« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2018, 05:32:17 am »
The simplest way to turn the accels on and off would be to use Attitude mode (accels on) and Rate mode (accels off)

Attitude mode for hovering, and Rate mode for forward flight (aircraft probably rotated 90 degrees).

RcV

« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2018, 12:27:26 pm »
@ TheOtherCliff- Thanks for the accel switching advice. Much appreciated.

@karla- Would like to see a video or screen shots of the configurator program of how you set you bird up if you get a chance.

karla

« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2018, 12:29:37 pm »
Hello RcV,
Not sure I did a good job at all, still waiting for an opportunity to flip the switch to forward flight, and then we will see.
But, I have done no change of any code, its all inside the configuration of LP
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:08:03 am by karla »

karla

« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2018, 02:11:54 am »
@karla- Would like to see a video or screen shots of the configurator program of how you set you bird up if you get a chance.

Here is the configuration file attached. Its on LP ver 16.09.
I only use two flight modes, only difference is that yaw is stabilized in hover and its not in forward flight.
Later I see if I can explain it better, maybe after a successful test flight :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:07:38 am by karla »

RcV

« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2018, 06:51:35 am »
Thanks karla for the info.

Took a closer look at the configurator program from some old youtube videos. Looks like there might not be enough mixing capabilities for what I was thinking of. I would like to adjust the transmitter influence and sensor influence separately for each axis. Also would want a minimum of 7 modes.

Hover, 45, and Forward Flight. Hover to 45 and 45 to Hover, along with 45 to Forward Flight and Forward Flight to 45 mode, so I can trim all aspects.

Would also need to the ability to trim each axis for each mode.

Will keep an eye on this project though.

karla

« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2018, 09:56:40 am »
Not sure what you want to do but there are 6 flight modes and each of them can have separate trim/stabilisation for each axis. How about simplifying your set up and just do one trim for hover and another for forward?
After several tests I put the transition from Hover to Forward on a transmitter nob that can be turned from 90 to 180 degrees seamlessly to have less abrupt motions on my tilt servos.

RcV

« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2018, 09:01:09 am »
...How about simplifying your set up and just do one trim for hover and another for forward?...
Thanks again for the help karla. Much appreciated.

I have done several tilt rotor VTOL airplanes using modified MultiWii but I never got good results when using the accel for auto-level so I'm looking for a new FC to play with. My new little T-28 from E-flite with SAFE-Mode, in other words it has an accelerometer for auto-level, is so easy to fly in very gusty winds that it's sold me on how helpful an accel can be if implemented well. I've tried to fly it will safe mode off and it just becomes uncontrollable, which really shows me how much work the accel is doing for me.

I have seven modes that get triggered automatically based on the tilt servos position. I found that when switching from one mode to the other, the aircraft wants to pitch quickly either up or down. The 7 modes appear to cover most situations so far.

Hmmm. Perhaps if the accel is good enough, I don't need so many modes to trim out a level transition?

Control swapping is a must for me though. My brain can't do the mixing of hover roll turning into forward flight yaw and such. I think I recall you posting that this FC doesn't do that yet?

karla

« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2018, 09:40:58 am »
Oh, good to know you and that you already did several VTOLs!

Is the fixed wing frame you use this one:

How do you fly it (like hovering?) and what do you wish the FC to do for you?
Really not familiar with this :)

Best

RcV

« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2018, 08:21:41 am »
Sorry for the confusion. I only use the T-28 as a regular airplane, but it uses an accelerometer that makes it super stable is all I meant. Not sure if the one you posted is the micro version with "Safe" technology or not. Mine is all yellow in color.

This is one I built-

It only uses gyros though and only the P parameter of the PID is active. I disabled I and D since they didn't appear to do anything useful.

So I'm interested in trying similar builds with a better FC. Is additional VTOL code functionality being actively worked on or has it remained the same for a while? Glad to help with configuration and feature suggestions if helpful. Can't help on the code side though I'm afraid.

« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2018, 09:12:48 am »
If a car cruise control (often a PID controller) only had P term then when you set it to 60 it would do maybe 55 on flat ground, 50 climbing a mild hill and 65 coming down the hill.

For quads, if you don't have enough "I" term the most obvious symptom is that the quad won't hold correct pitch angle when flying forward fast.

D term is mainly used so you can run slightly higher P.  That one you can actually live without.

karla

« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2018, 05:19:02 am »
Is additional VTOL code functionality being actively worked on or has it remained the same for a while? Glad to help with configuration and feature suggestions if helpful. Can't help on the code side though I'm afraid.

To my knowledge there is no code developed specifically to be used in any VTOL situation.
However, the LibrePilot code as is, has plenty possibilities to be configured for a multitude of VTOL uses though.
Once you get the hang of the GSC, Configuration, Vehicle, Custom screen, then you can really experiment with different setups (and not only VTOLs).

« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2018, 06:12:55 am »
One of the main things that VTOL needs is a smooth transition from nose up mode to nose forward mode and all that entails such as mixing in some changes to Rotate Virtual (say add 90 degrees to pitch) and mixing two "mixing tables" (say basically aileron/elevator/rudder controlling the rudder/elevator/aileron when in hover mode and controlling aileron/elevator/rudder when in forward flight).

It's been discussed, but needs a developer who wants to work on it.

RcV

« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2018, 07:07:31 am »
...For quads, if you don't have enough "I" term the most obvious symptom is that the quad won't hold correct pitch angle when flying forward fast...
Thanks for the info. I thought it was strange that it worked with no I and D also. As soon as I put in some I it would just drift all over the place. Don't really care to mess with that old code after experiencing what can be achieved these days.