utoedter

• Frickeln und mehr
Mag on GPS Ublox M8N
« on: April 01, 2017, 11:55:17 pm »
Because im not very happy with the internal magnetometer of the revolution because its too near to disturbing magnetic fields (250 quad) i tried to activate the internal mag of the ublox GPS which is mounted on a 20cm mast. Fortunally, the wires were already soldered but cut off at the end of the cable and hidden under shrinking tube. Soldering a plug for the flexi port was simple, the configuration as I2C bus was done, but the bus threw errors in the status display. ""I2C port is working but there are acknowledgement errors." is the status message. So ive googled around and read about the pull up resitors between VCC and both I2C (SLC,SDA) wires. Checking the resistance on the board shows more than 400k Ohm. So will soldering a 4.7K or 10K resistor between VCC and SDA and VCC and SLC solve my problem? In not that electronics expert.

Udo

utoedter

• Frickeln und mehr
Re: Mag on GPS Ublox M8N
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 12:01:59 am »
Hmm, after reading in neighbor thread about missing mags on ublox GPS, ive disassembled mine and found out that mine is also a "economic" variant of the ublox. Damned!

Udo

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 03:20:21 am »
So no mag chip installed?  :(  Yes the pullup resistors do help if there is a mag chip installed...

utoedter

• Frickeln und mehr
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:45:51 pm »
So no mag chip installed?  :(  Yes the pullup resistors do help if there is a mag chip installed...

Yes ive contacted the dealer, he confirmed that there is no mag on it, and the company uses the same case for devices with and without mag.

crazy.

Udo

vk4tec

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:52 pm »
Yes be carefull they mark it as "compass enabled " it is not

Also please help me, I have a uBlox N8M do I need to make it ublox protocol or nmea ?

Andrew

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 07:29:39 pm »
Revo will automatically set GPS to ublox data and set the correct baud rate.

If you are using CC3D, you must make these same GPS configurations manually and store them permanently.  Use Ublox u-center.exe

Some small or inexpensive GPSs do not have permanent storage for configuration.  Revo can configure these automatically each power up, but CC3D does not have GPS auto-configuration so or CC3D, these are so painful to configure each time that you can say they can't be used with CC3D.

Mateusz

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 07:36:28 pm »
Also please help me, I have a uBlox N8M do I need to make it ublox protocol or nmea ?

No, don't use NEMA, in wizard select UBX if you have uBlox N8M GPS. Revo firmware will configure GPS for you. You don't need to set anything else.