Need Rookie help with power to CC3D?
« on: February 24, 2017, 07:10:16 am »
Pretty new to quadcopters..   First build had ESC with 3 wires to CC3D.  One ESC died, so I replaced all 4 together with an equivalent model, but these only have 2 wires to the Control.  Just a signal and ground..   I need to supply power to the controller, but how?  Ran a small wire from the PDB to an empty + pin, and 12V was too much.  Worked for a few minutes, but cooked it..   I have no experience with resistors or any of that.    Any advice how to power the controller?   Or should i just suck it up, and buy another set of ESCs with [s+-] like I'm used to?
thanks.

Re: Need Rookie help with power to CC3D?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:38:04 am »
If you still have your old ESC's you could just use one of those to power the FC.  Plug the ESC signal connector into an unused place on the FC and the power wires from the ESC to the PDB or battery.  Tape up the 3 motor wires so they don't touch each other or anything else.

Otherwise buy a 5V BEC and connect it the same way.

In either case, power for the ESC/BEC comes from the PDB/battery and gets regulated down to 5V and given to the FC through a "servo plug" connected to the FC.

That CC3D can probably be repaired if you are good at tiny tiny soldering, but the tiny 10 cent repair part (probably just a burned up voltage regulator) would cost $4 by the time you got it and full sized CC3D's are less than $8 shipped on eBay.