Elvis

Neutral setting on Output Tab
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:11:11 pm »
When setting up my airplane with CC3D, I'm a little confused as to what the NEUTRAL setting does on the Output Tab. I have servos for AIL, RUD, ELE, and CH4 going to electric motor ESC.

1. What does the neutral setting do? Does it command my sticks to this position when I center them?
2. I'm guessing I should be setting them to the point where my AIL, ELE, and RUD are straight, so it acts like a subtrim?
3. On my Motor MIN, NEU, MAX, should I set the Neutral to where my motor spins or just leave it at the same setting as my MIN?
4. I thought I set all of this up in the Vehicle setup wizard for Inputs? Whey don't those same settings transfer over (or do they)?

Thanks

Re: Neutral setting on Output Tab
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 04:31:03 pm »
For fixed wing where you want the servo in the middle when the stick is in the middle you generally want the output min, neutral, max to be 1000, 1500, 2000, but there are many ways to set this up.  If your airplane was already flying and you are going to use PPM or PWM to talk to the FC, then you may want to copy the output settings from the input.  Lastly, you may want to tweak the neutrals a little if you want it half way between two of the servo splines.

What happens is that the input min neutral max get translated into a number -1.0, 0.0, +1.0 (and everything in between) and the outputs translated the -1.0, 0.0, +1.0 into whatever min, neutral, max it has

For Sbus for instance the inputs may typically be 172, 991, 1811 and that needs to get translated into 1000, 1500, 2000 for the servos to work right.

Elvis

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 04:23:21 pm »
Thanks for the answer Cliff. So, I can use the neutral setting similar to a subtrim in the radio TX to center the servos.
One more related question:

If I go to manual mode, will the CC3D ignore these OUTPUT values and go with my RC Transmitter's INPUT values?

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:57:23 pm »
No, then SBus would not work, etc.  :)

It always translates input to [-1; 1] using input settings, then output from [-1; 1] using output settings.

With Manual, it just never does anything else but this simple in/out mapping.

With Stab1/Attitude mode, it e.g. modifies your sudden holding of left aileron to mean left aileron (until it gets to correct bank angle) then neutral aileron (or close) to stay there at that bank angle.