Que

reliable 5.8 transmitter setup that won't break the bank
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:11:48 am »
I entered my first Multi GP race yesterday with disastrous results.
 During practice with other pilots everything went fine, but as soon as I tried to race I would loose my transmitter signal within less than 30 seconds. I was in 3 heats and it happened every time.
The frequencies were given out by the race officials so as to be sure there was enough distance between each pilots frequencies to assure no signals were too close; and there were 3 other pilots using the same frequency I was using, but they were in separate heats and not plugged in during my heat. none of the others using this signal had a problem.
 So instead of blaming it on another pilot that was there whom I have had problems with and may have had an axe to grind, I am going to assume it is my equipment.
I have been using inexpensive transmitters that I have been purchasing from the usual places...(off brand products from China) without any problems at my local flying areas.
 I use Skyzone goggles that I purchased used, but again I have had no problems with this setup at my local flying area and at the park that I was at yesterday and I also flew there on Saturday.
I am now in search of better fpv equipment that won't break the bank.
 If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate your help.
Thanks

mr_w

• LibrePilot
Re: reliable 5.8 transmitter setup that won't break the bank
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:57:39 pm »
My group consists of 4 active pilots, and we could never ever figure out the right frequencies so we could all fly at the same time. We spent numerous hours testing, checking, tuning, swapping antennas, using all sorts of tables, recommendations, whatnot. Nothing helps. I also blame it on bad equipment, most of it is from aliexpress, but some are recognizable brands also.

Anyway, the transmitters - we have tested (and used) TS586, TS832, TS832S and TS5828 (don't really know what is the brand). With  first in list being the most reliable so far, with most stable power output (checked with immersionrc rf power meter), and last one being the worst, with couple of them failing completely within hours, and some of them having very poor output level.
Now, when you look at all those models, you can quickly figure out that best one has nice metal enclosure which probably dissipates heat nicely, second one being huge with sort of "rf shield" that acts as heat sink, and last one that is nice & tiny, but you could literally burn your finger on it. I have even noticed that just blowing some air (with your mouth, not fan!) over heated up TS5828 increases output power by ~50mW.

On the other hand, we also have mixed RX equipment - 2x Fatshark HD2 - one with nexwave RX, and another one with cheaper Realacc RX5807 (which btw failed - it is now stuck on channel #1, goggles are fine), one Skyzone 2 (I presume like yours) and couple of FR632 diversity receivers to use with Quanum v2 boxes.

In theory, up to 8 pilots should be able to use 5.8G band without too much trouble. But.. I don't believe it :)

ernstock

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 10:07:47 pm »
Hi
Presume you referring to fpv tx.
Immersionrc were considered good quality , but I have found the cheap eachine or foxeer type tx just as good.
I do think sometimes it's just down to chance/ luck with those random loss of signal events.
If someone else can also watch your feed (when it drops out) then you can rule out ( or not) the reception side of things.
It has been reported that a vtx will lose significant power when 'hot' so making sure it's in airflow in flight ,and not left too long powered up but not flying is good.
Also been reported that some vtx work much better on certain channels than others.
Also poss worth considering the position you take up when competing .
Then of course there's the old catch-all of the vtx antenna- most of the relevant discussion on this seems to be aimed at long distance qualities.
I regularly fly proximity/ woodland/ farmyard with not much more than a bent coat hanger as antenna :

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:46:55 am »
If you get good range normally, but not when flying with others, the chances are that the issue is that you need a better receiver, not a better transmitter.

One thing you could try is to use opposite handed CP antennas from the fliers on either side of your frequency.  Most people use right handed CP antennas if I recall correctly.  Try left handed CP antennas.

Que

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 10:03:07 am »
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate the feedback.