Re: Warning: At least some sellers are selling Revos with bad baros
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2016, 08:53:47 am »
This is my first post on the forum, I used to use CC3D a year or two ago but got back into flying and liked the look of the Revolution. Purchased from Banggood and received two weeks ago. All seems to work and flies steady in complementary mode apart from Altitudehold / Vario which show some signs of oscillations and generally unsteady. I have attached two plots of my scopes, please could you tell me if this is cceptable or if I have one of the faulty (low res baro / bad regulators) please?

Also I have tried adjusting the Altitude Hold PID settings but it does not cancel out the changes in altitude it just slows the quads reaction times, please could you try and help me get my quad working again?

Thanks!

Mark

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2016, 07:49:38 pm »
Just for reference for other people, here is the barometer scope from my Revolution board clone from Hobbyking.

The minimum kPa value is 101.787 and the maximum is 101.803 over a 3 minute period. No major, sudden fluctuations. In the flight data window, the altitude has gradually increased from -0.9 to -1.6 over a few minutes but no sudden fluctuations.

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2016, 07:52:00 pm »
This is my first post on the forum, I used to use CC3D a year or two ago but got back into flying and liked the look of the Revolution. Purchased from Banggood and received two weeks ago. All seems to work and flies steady in complementary mode apart from Altitudehold / Vario which show some signs of oscillations and generally unsteady. I have attached two plots of my scopes, please could you tell me if this is cceptable or if I have one of the faulty (low res baro / bad regulators) please?

Also I have tried adjusting the Altitude Hold PID settings but it does not cancel out the changes in altitude it just slows the quads reaction times, please could you try and help me get my quad working again?

Thanks!

Mark

According to hwh in my thread, he said that "I usually think of it in terms of altitude variation where 1 to maybe 1.5 meters variation is reasonable."

https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=1364.15

« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2016, 08:28:06 pm »
Thanks for your help, I take it that it is down to my pid settings that my quad won't hold altitude.

I have tried a number of settings some seem to improve the flight but not correct it fully.

The problem is as follows, the quad flies very well in normal attitude mode with manual thrust (mode 1 on my controller) then I flick to mode two (identical to mode 1 except thrust is altitude vario) when stable, centre the throttle and the quad will sometimes slowly loose altitude, sometimes slowly gain altitude but once or twice it has gained altitude fast (3 or 4m over a second), the quad does react to increasing or decreasing throttle when gaining or loosing altitude slowly but hardy reacts when gaining altitude fast (causing me to flip back to mode 1 to bring the quad back down to a more suitable height).

I'm at a loss what to try next, my quad is a 250 with 2204 motors and 5x3 props running 3s battery with revo controller (I have GPS but have disabled until I get the altitude sorted, then I'll sort out mag and only when they are both solid will I attempt gps). I have foam over the baro and have looked under a scope and it's the correct baro, please can anyone in the community suggest anything or share there setup if it's a similar quad?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2016, 01:40:53 am »
Thanks for your help, I take it that it is down to my pid settings that my quad won't hold altitude.

I have tried a number of settings some seem to improve the flight but not correct it fully.

The problem is as follows, the quad flies very well in normal attitude mode with manual thrust (mode 1 on my controller) then I flick to mode two (identical to mode 1 except thrust is altitude vario) when stable, centre the throttle and the quad will sometimes slowly loose altitude, sometimes slowly gain altitude but once or twice it has gained altitude fast (3 or 4m over a second), the quad does react to increasing or decreasing throttle when gaining or loosing altitude slowly but hardy reacts when gaining altitude fast (causing me to flip back to mode 1 to bring the quad back down to a more suitable height).

I'm at a loss what to try next, my quad is a 250 with 2204 motors and 5x3 props running 3s battery with revo controller (I have GPS but have disabled until I get the altitude sorted, then I'll sort out mag and only when they are both solid will I attempt gps). I have foam over the baro and have looked under a scope and it's the correct baro, please can anyone in the community suggest anything or share there setup if it's a similar quad?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

If you are using the Librepilot GCS, note, while the quad is in mode two, how the altimeter's values change. If, for example, you set it to hold altitude but due to perhaps a barometer problem the barometer readings are changing to reflect increased a climb, then the quad will react to the non existent change by reacting with a descent in an attempt to get back to the altitude it should be holding.

One thing I might try would be to remove the propellers (so it won't change altitude), setting the quad down somewhere with the Openpilot board still wired in but also hooked up to your comp so you can see the GCS readings. Set the quad to any arbitrary RPM and set it to hold altitude. In the scopes, you should theoretically see a constant RPM because the quad should think its maintaining its current altitude with whatever RPM the motors are spinning with. If, however, the scope shows the altitude changing (though its not actually since the props are off and its on the ground), you should expect to see a RPM change in an attempt to go back to the altitude it thinks it should be at but already is at in actuality.

In reality, these barometers are not flawless and perhaps may not have the resolution to stay steady within a meter for example. So I'd say the main problem is how big are the fluctuations are. Secondly, you report that sometimes the quad's altitude suddenly changes while in flight. Well, when just the board is plugged into the computer so you can see the scope for the barometer, are there ever sudden fluctuations in the barometric readings?

I'm not familiar with Librepilot or quadcopters but these are really just my thoughts on the matter.

darkdave

« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2016, 02:53:28 pm »
Quad will not arm in EKF unless Home is set.

Also Home and Base are two different things used for different purposes.

Home is used for GPS coordinates.  When using EKF, the coordinates are relative to Home.

Base is just where it returns to when you do RTB.  The default for Base is that it is set each time you arm a new battery (once GPS gets a good fix).

Home should be set "close to where you fly" but doesn't generally hurt anything if not.  Example:  If my Home is set to flying field (50km away) and I fly EKF at my house (50km away from where Home is set), my coordinates on the GCS map are off by several hundred meters, but it is all relative so it just doesn't matter.

It doesn't fly away if Home is a long way away, it just means that it thinks it is here when it is there.  For me it was 300m wrong when Home was 50k away.  It really only hurts if you are using waypoint flight, like trying to fly between trees on the map.  The map will be wrong (by e.g. 300m) and thus the trees will be hard to avoid.

PH flyaway (really this exact thing happens in any GPS mode) would usually be caused by bad mags or by GPS failure after takeoff.  One time it happened to me and I had a log, I researched it and found that the mags were bad at high power in the air.  Another time it happened to me because I couldn't get it to arm with my FPV switched on, so I switched FPV off, armed, then switched FPV back on, then flew (with a GPS signal that had gone bad).  I learned... :)

Your high current (motor) wiring MUST be twisted correctly and it is a good idea to test the mags at high motor power.  Make a log in a high power test flight that does not use EKF or GPS and make sure the mags stay green no matter what direction you fly.  Better yet, strap it down to your back porch, and watch the mag scope while you run the motors up to high power.  It should change very little (like 10% or less at full power).  This must be done with props on so there is a lot of current flow.  Be careful.

One way that might make it easier to "hold down" is to swap props so it pushes down instead of trying to lift off.  Take all props off and put them on (upside down if you like) the motor to the immediate CW (or CCW).

I wrote this quickly.  I hope it helps.

What is "PH" in "PH fly away"?

This is by far the most useful forum thread I have read. I like to suggest the information and photos here be added to the librepilot wiki. Shall I do some copy pasting to it tonight?

Btw, why is your shirt always off in your picture? I always "feel strangely naked" when I read your posts.

Regards, David
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:27:07 pm by darkdave »

darkdave

« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2016, 06:05:48 pm »
Ok, will try this evening and report back.
Cut/Remove  C9, as in this pic.  ???

Please have a look at attached photo of my board. Is it the same board? Because to me it looks kinda different. Can you identify for me which is the "c9" that I need to heat up with a soldering iron and pull out like a dentist?

David

darkdave

« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2016, 06:28:36 pm »
Here's another close up with higher magnification.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2016, 07:05:09 pm »
Not the same board, that a redesigned Chinese clone

darkdave

« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2016, 04:03:08 am »
Can you guys find out what I must do to the redesigned version to get the same results?

The barometers are still too oscillating. Even after reducing altitude PIDs. I can mail one to you if you need.

David

Jhinta

« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2016, 06:12:43 pm »

Is there eny info about that if they are good or not , also any alli link for 100% clone or any
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:19:08 pm by Jhinta »

darkdave

« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2016, 06:48:04 pm »
Is there eny info about that if they are good or not , also any alli link for 100% clone or any

I found an electronic  supplier who understands the open pilot range of hardware and fault history. He can manufacture for my ebay account open pilot devices without the barometer and radio telemetry stability flaws. However there is still one flaw we don't know how to track down:

This is the flaw of a drone in fail safe mode being taken control by a remote again as its turned back on. In a propeller off test I set the fail safe channel to set all the axis to manual instead of stabalize so I can confirm on my table that the drone is indeed in failsafe mode by tilting it and checking if the engines stay at the same speed or try and stabalize by speeding up and slowing down. I then forced the drone into failsafe by turning off my remote controller and indeed the drone went into failsafe properly, the problem is what happens when I turn the controller back on: regardless of which channel im in the drone cuts all the engines for 2 seconds as the controller takes back control of the drone before the drone responds to my commands. This is 2 seconds of potential free fall time.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I need your help to confirm if it's a prevelant problem or if it only happens to certain boards.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2016, 07:21:02 pm »
The failsafe lag you see has nothing related with the board you use.

I think that simply the lag from your RCTransmitter / transmitter module at power up.
Try disconnecting only the signal wire from the receiver instead.

darkdave

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2016, 08:16:29 pm »
OK I will... will keep you posted.

hugges

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2016, 11:41:06 am »
Hi im having problem with a revo and need to locate C9 cap thats near the regulator but where