hamilc

Controlling flight modes
« on: February 16, 2017, 05:42:26 pm »
Using the LP GCS, I see tha there are many different flight modes, and ways to set waypoints. Am I supposed to be able to select these modes while in flight using my RC transmitter? If I have a say 8 channel transmitter with 4 channels used for copter control, am I supposed to be able to select flight modes in real time using the other 4 channels? Perhaps one channel is designated for "flight mode" and somehow this single channel will select the mode. A similar question, if there are say 3 waypoints entered, can I select which waypoint to go to using my transmitter?

Re: Controlling flight modes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:57:44 pm »
A Flight Mode Switch (FMS) is a main feature of the setup.  Typically you have a 3 position switch configured as FMS and that allows you to select any of 3 flight modes.  Fancier setups will configure the transmitter to use 2 switches, but make it appear on one channel so the FC (Flight Controller) sees what looks like one big switch.

Several flight modes are actually steering the GPS coordinates around in various ways and the aircraft goes to the steered GPS coordinates.

One flight mode (PathPlanner) is waypoint flight where it flies a plan that you have clicked up on the GCS "Google map", edited for altitude and speed, and uploaded to the FC.

There currently isn't a way to tell it which waypoint to fly to other than:
- having an error waypoint and generating an error (each leg has an error waypoint to go to)
- restarting the waypoint flight to go to the first waypoint
- Engaging RTB (Return To Base) when desired, either by an FMS position or transmitter failure (power off) with a correctly setup Failsafe and RTB.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:03:27 pm by TheOtherCliff »