ggrif

I ordered this " Revo GPS" a few weeks ago after seeing the link in a post by Theothercliff, sorry, don't have the link atm.

I recently setup a clone Revo from BangGood with an OP V9. Works fine, on the bench anyway.

So, I disconnected the V9, plugged the "Revo GPS" into the Revo clone and, in 3 minutes had a 7 sat lock in my garage. Same results with OP Revo. Obviously no flight tests yet but it looks like we may have an alternative to the hard to get OP V9.

Stay tuned.

Edit:
My experience with the V9 when it's fired up indoors has been that the UAV image in the GCS Flight Data screen drifts quite a bit in random directions. That is definitely not the case with the Neo8, its been plugged in some 18 minutes now and has not moved. At all.
Gotta get this in a frame.
Edit 2:
Duh, have to enable INS13 to see what's happening with GPS. Image drift is there, same as V9.
Also have a Black Mag, gotta figure that out. All sensors calibrated ok.
Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:15:10 am by ggrif »

Re: plug-n-play "Revo GPS" Neo M8N, works with Revo and Revo clone
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 01:05:45 am »
FYI:  You are not using the mag that it (very probably) has inside.

I asked an eBay seller and he said that it has a mag, but it does not talk like the V9 talks.

To use the mag, you must use the extra wires and an extra FC port (soon in LP code).  If it does not have an extra set of wires. You have to connect some to the inside yourself.

Briefly:  OP GPS V9 has GPS and mag on one FC port.  Everything else requires a separate port for the mag (soon).

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 01:11:48 am »
"UAV image in the GCS Flight Data screen drifts quite a bit in random directions"

If you are talking about the 3D model that rotates, etc.  It moving around is normal, and only starts with INS13 and after ATTI and STAB go green.  I'm guessing that is why it isn't moving at all.

ggrif

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 01:14:26 am »
FYI:  You are not using the mag that it (very probably) has inside.

I asked an eBay seller and he said that it has a mag, but it does not talk like the V9 talks.

To use the mag, you must use the extra wires and an extra FC port (soon in LP code).  If it does not have an extra set of wires. You have to connect some to the inside yourself.

Briefly:  OP GPS V9 has GPS and mag on one FC port.  Everything else requires a separate port for the mag (soon).

Thanks Cliff. I have the extra wires.

I was hoping this one would handle mag same as V9. I recall the V9 used a completely different protocol or some such, superior to what's out there now.

Oh well. Will wait for the update.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:17:33 am by ggrif »

Re: ALMOST plug-n-play "Revo GPS" Neo M8N, works with Revo and Revo clone
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 07:31:37 am »
The great thing about the V9 is that it puts GPS and mag on one set of wires and so it only uses one port, which leaves an additional port open for stuff like OSD or telemetry.  This need for an extra port is one reason we decided to port the Tau Labs Sparky 2.0 to run on LibrePilot.