DETAI

Twitchy gyro
« on: November 10, 2016, 06:25:25 pm »
HI, I updated to 16 rc 2 and well, reset everything back up.  Went to test and twitch twitch hello ground.  2-3ft so relatively fine, more blades tuning etc... this time same thing except it sped off in the direction of house and well brick vs drone.  So anyone can help, should i go back to 15 or am i missing something silly.   :)

jtrout19

Re: Twitchy gyro
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 03:16:32 am »
Well I am going to say that the guru's are going to ask for more information. What quad are you using, the specs on it, possibly to post your UAV settings. which would be FILE>Export UAV Settings.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 06:23:00 pm »
It sounds like you are flying Attitude mode and it is not level.

Vibration or incorrectly set "rotate virtual" (for your FC mount angles) can do that.  Even aux mag "BoardRotation" or cold start GPS can do that if you are using GPS/mag and INS13.  Loose motor, cracked frame, loose FC.

Start by balancing your props, and when you test fly (knee high only :) ), and it does anything unexpected, immediately chop the throttle to zero.  :)

DETAI

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 03:11:46 pm »
TY for replies, ill give them a shot when it stops hammering it down with rain, no fly season  :( think will get some shin pads though ;).

sk450 openpilot revo with oplink in board, ntm 28 26 1000kv motors, 9/4.5 props, qbrain 25 amp, 3s 40c 2200mAh and for long camera journeys 5000mAh 4s, turnigy 9x tx and rx.  think thats all the bits.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 11:36:46 pm »
That sounds like a reasonable setup.  You might want to use smaller props when you use 4s.  ;)

DETAI

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 07:11:44 pm »
Might give that a shot, reloaded all firmware, escs etc... even calibrated barometer, got it flying briefly, it went well until went above knees the self destruct again, renaming quad profile to lucky ;).  Roll on summer, more flyinh time.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 09:21:31 pm »
I didn't hear whether you balanced your props again...  :)

Gyros can only handle a certain amount of vibration.  A little more and they go crazy and you flip and crash.  Higher RPM from a climb causes more vibration and can change a decent hover into a climbing flip and crash.

This actually is a fairly common problem.

I used to always use an anti-vibration FC mount.  Then I determined that my biggest problem was when I hit the RPM where the mount resonated...  Now I say, if you have an anti-vibration mount, try flying without it.

DETAI

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 11:18:19 pm »
Hi, I've rebalanced relocated pretty much everything except ESC brain, gets to about 6 ft then decides to go buz aldrin lol. So going to order new different type props and try those as would make sense as when gets to hover \ 30-40 % then I'm guessing the Revolution gets confused as not got receiver for PC yet.    Will update as soon as props appear 😀.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 01:26:56 am »
So it works fine, but then what does it do?

Are you sure it isn't a bad battery, bad connection, or short RC range issue?

Non flashed ESCs <<MUST>> be set to nicad or set to "disable low voltage cutoff".

Bad battery would climb and then stop climbing and slowly descend.
Bad connection would probably drop at random times.
Short RC range could be easily tested.

DETAI

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 12:20:32 pm »
Reset esc's again lol.  Set it as ni-xx couldn't set low power to off only to low, set a very strange throttle curve 0%,37%,57%,75%,100%.  But it flies and generally responds to what i tell it to do, but it has stability of a butterfly in a typhoon. Also it really cannot cope with 4s on 9 x 5 props, IE thinks is the space shuttle Atlantis. (Love the angry hornet noise though).

Odd thing is totally different to how was set before, throttle curve totally different, solid as a rock even in strong wind, was set to lipo before and could handle 4s.  But will endeavor to re complete this as summer is coming and need it for photo's lol.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 05:53:09 pm »
Setting to Nixx only stops it from dropping out of the sky randomly.

If set to LiPo and the battery is not so good, the battery voltage will drop under the heavy load of 4 motors.  That makes one or more ESCs turn off their motors.  Stabilization then says "Whoa I must stop the other motors to keep it from flipping" and it drops.

Make sure your props are balanced, and if you increase the number of LiPo cells, you really should decrease the prop size, assuming the initial prop size was correct.

DETAI

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 03:58:44 pm »
Hi, I've rechecked the props they seem ok.  The blades recommend were 9 x 6 but a big but lol. This company also stated that "some of the q brain esc are flashed" so in short I guess they don't know.  I added more weight(whilst using the 3s I taped on the 4s) was a lot more cooperative and less rocket like 👍.

However was very twitchy in the sense that couldn't hold position kept twitching on x axis around 30 degrees then I had to move it as wasn't staying in position.

Batteries are 5 flights each max. And no damage, I checked all cells with multimeter and the charger also confirms voltages with my readings.

Ps defiantly agree props are giving way too much power.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 05:39:13 pm »
PIDs are tuned for a particular thrust to weight ratio.  If you change either one (you changed both ;) ) you should retune for best flight.

Vibration can cause twitchy gyro.  Always balance your props!!!