trust

MinOPOSD issues
« on: October 01, 2020, 07:00:56 am »
I've been able to get this mostly working, but am seeing some odd problems.
- My call sign does not appear at all in the output video (blank area)- but it does in the setup tool.
- The yaw orientation jumps around wildly, but when system is connected by USB to GCS, it is very stable on the GCS display. I am using the external mag exclusively.
Quad seems to fly properly once enough satellites locked.
I've tried different firmware version, other than the battery voltage/current changing, these other problems are not affected. Also reloaded charset.
Mini Revo FC
Telemetry on main
UAV file enclosed

Re: MinOPOSD issues
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 08:29:04 am »
I am not an OSD expert but here are some guesses.

My call sign does not appear at all in the output video (blank area)- but it does in the setup tool.
Maybe the setup tool version does not match the OSD firmware version closely enough.
Maybe the firmware hasn't been compiled with call sign support enabled ? ? ?

The yaw orientation jumps around wildly, but when system is connected by USB to GCS, it is very stable on the GCS display. I am using the external mag exclusively.
I am guessing that when you say USB, you mean the USB on the Revo, not an FTDI (or similar) USB to serial converter (connected somehow to MainPort).
I'm not sure how the code works there, but I can imagine that MainPort data is getting backed up.  You could try reducing the amount of data sent (turn unneeded UAVOs off on System page DataObjects <ObjectName> MetaData Modes set to zero).  You could try increasing the baud rate if that is possible.  I forget whether we now allow 2 UAV data streams, if so, try turning the USB stream off.  This may cause problems that it won't connect to USB any more.  If so, you can "boot in safe mode on the firmware page" (disconnect Revo power, press Rescue, plug in USB, press SafeBoot) to be able to make changes (be aware that you will see all default settings) ... OR use an FTDI to connect USB to MainPort to make settings changes.

Quad seems to fly properly once enough satellites locked.
If yaw is jumping around, then I imagine you are NOT using any GPS flight modes.  I suspect that they would jump around.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:47:08 am by TheOtherCliff »

trust

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 08:15:17 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.
Is there a known working firmware set that does show call signs? if so I could try that.
Yes, I was referring to the USB port on the mini connected to my laptop GCS.
I did try reducing the number of objects displayed, thinking there may be an issue with the miniOPOSD not having enough bandwidth to process the entire stream. It didn't make any difference.
I am using a GPS flight mode - all of them are. I can also see the modes change on the OPOSD display when I move the mode switch.
I'm wondering if somehow it is using the onboard (on the mini REVO) mag data instead of the external mag - as the internal one seems to move around a lot - I was never able to make the system fly with it enabled.
But the GCS display shows mag quite stable.
As for two data streams, I assume if I disconnect the USB, then there is no stream happening - which I've tested as well - and it makes no difference in the OPOSD display.

trust

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 08:21:11 pm »
Also I did change the Flight telemetry update rate to 250ms along with the GPSPositionSensor and GPSVelocitySensor update rate to 250ms per the instructions. Did not seem to make any difference in the OPOSD display, have not tested in flight yet.
I did note both the GPSPos & Vel values were originally set to 1000ms - I wonder if that affected the flight quality as that seems very long. Proof will be in the testing.
Flight telemetry update rate was originally set to 0

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 04:51:56 am »
Is there a known working firmware set that does show call signs? if so I could try that.
The one aircraft I have this on has VTx issues and I haven't used it more than just in testing.  I never set up a call sign, but showing in the setup but not on the real OSD sounds like the sort of thing a code version difference (and other things) could cause.  I don't expect it would help, but you could try different chars, like numbers and other non-alphabetic chars.  You could try a different char set.

I am using a GPS flight mode - all of them are. I can also see the modes change on the OPOSD display when I move the mode switch.
Is the "yaw jumping around" just a long delay in the OSD then?  That would match with the buffer being full and dropping data or not receiving acknowledgements for packets.  Are you sure the wiring from the Revo port to the OSD is all connected?  Including Tx and Rx wires?

I'm wondering if somehow it is using the onboard (on the mini REVO) mag data instead of the external mag - as the internal one seems to move around a lot - I was never able to make the system fly with it enabled.
The issue with onboard mag is when you are actually flying an electric motor aircraft.  The high current draw (only during flight level power draw) creates a mag field that throws the compass off and varies with throttle level.  The external mag is placed far enough away from these power wires to (hopefully, if power wire pairs are twisted together) not be a problem.  There is a setting in Attitude -> Magnetometer that says onboard, external or both (or similar words).  Should be set to external.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:15:15 am by TheOtherCliff »