Laz

• Down under
airframe customizing
« on: January 28, 2017, 07:34:17 am »
How do you customize a airframe (for airframe list in vehicle setup)
Quanum Venture Xcopter.
Size 430.   battery 330omAh 3 cell.  Mototrs 2213 935Kv Afro 20Amp ESC.  CC3D FC. 8x4.5 Props.
I have chosen nearest suitable airframe from list in vehicle set up. But would like to add above Quad to my list atleast if possible, or edit one on the list. Could someone please help?

Re: airframe customizing
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:36:56 am »
A note about the vehicle templates:  After you import a template, you should immediately (without rebooting/unplugging anything) File -> ExportUavSettings which saves all settings to a disk file of your choosing, then immediately do File -> ImportUavSettings, SaveToBoardFlash using the same file.  If you don't do this, then you will loose some or all of the settings when you power down the FC.

Setup wizard saves the settings into the FC, so you don't have to be so careful about loosing them like with vehicle templates, but it is always good to save a copy on disk using File -> ExportUavSettings if you have put more than a few minutes of work into it.

You can name this vehicle using VehicleName at the top of the Vehicle tab.  Press the Save in the lower right and the vehicle will remember it's name (stored in the FC) until it is Firmware -> Halt , EraseSettings'd.  The current name also is stored in the file on disk when you do File -> ExportUavSettings

After you have imported a vehicle template or you have run the setup wizard, you customize it with the rest of the settings.  :)  You may change your FMS (Flight Mode Switch), run AutoTune, set up a camera gimbal, etc.  Then your settings should again be saved onto a disk file with File -> ExportUavSettings so you can later restore with File -> ImportUavSettings if you need to.  This is what I use.

Some (not all?) of your settings, along with notes and facts and a picture, are saved in a Template file in "the standard place" on the disk if you do Tools -> ExportVehicleTemplate -> (fill in the fields) -> Export.  Templates you add this way will show up in your ImportTemplate list, but no one else's.  If you use SaveAs instead of Export, it lets you choose where to save the file and modify the file name instead of using "the standard place".

I don't know the official way of getting a template added to the global list.  That is probably locked down to keep there from being thousands in there.

I am not sure of the status of the template stuff.  I think there was an effort made to make sure the current set of templates had been converted for the 16.09 release.

I honestly don't use the template stuff although it's valuable for beginners with a match.  Different props or motors and the PIDs won't be as good as they were for the author, and you don't know how good the author was at tuning PIDs in the first place.  I always start from defaults.  16.09 has AutoTune (Revo class, not CC3D) in it to make tuning PIDs easier.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:42:22 am by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:51:38 am »
IMHO 8x4.5 props are a bit small for 935kv motors.  I would run 10x4.5 on those; or 10x4.5 cut down to 9x4.5 inch.

Laz

• Down under
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 12:41:26 am »
Thank you hwh for the link and TheOtherCliff for the info.
I'm just starting out in quads. The venture Quanum came as a kit props and all, I will use 9 x 4.5 props when I get them from Hobby King. I have got it flying, with H king DYS 320 Templet, it is'nt very stable in hover but it's flying and I will try twicking the PID's

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 03:44:19 am »
A beginner should run Stabilzed1 which is Attitude mode (self leveling).  It will drift just like a car will drift into the ditch if you don't constantly correct it.  Concentrate on altitude control (short hops knee to waist level over grass) first.

Don't run PWM 50Hz on your ESCs (Output tab).  Most modern ESCs will run at least PWMSync if you calibrate ESCs according to the wiki (or PWM490 if you didn;t calibrate it like the wiki), and I wouldn't go higher (OneShot) till I got it flying well with the aforementioned.

LP has 4 ways to tune PIDs (see wiki):
- manually adjust the PIDs by feel, well there is actually a simple page and a complete page
- The old OpTune method (is there a new name?) where you manually tune P to a light oscillation and then multiply the results by a factor.
- EasyTune / TxPID where you make a transmitter knob directly control some PIDs and adjust it in flight
- AutoTune where it shakes it in flight and calculates the PIDs from that (one flight) (does not currently run on CC3D)

Laz

• Down under
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 04:07:56 am »
Hi hwh,
             I ran the link, got into the page I could put in Name of Quad, My name ,User name, Size,  put in Weight and that's as far as I can get. Is there something I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions would be welcome.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 10:24:30 am »
Some entries are mandatory : Vehicle name, Owner, Forum Name, Size, Weight
Vehicle name, Forum name and Owner will need at least 3 characters.

Laz

• Down under
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 02:16:17 am »
I have filled in the vehicle extort templet, but I cannot save it. Find attached scrn print od form.
Can anyone please help?

hwh

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 05:34:38 am »
What error does it give when you hit save as?

I just typed in the same information and it worked fine.   I did export to send it to the gcs list and then save as to test saving it to a file.  Were you expecting it to do something?   Have you looked for venture in the list on the import tab?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 07:27:51 am »
Another thing needed is a board connected to the GCS.

Save as... and Export still disabled so there is something missing

Code: [Select]
bool enabled = m_autopilotConnected && ui->Name->text().length() > 3 && ui->Owner->text().length() > 2 &&
                   ui->ForumNick->text().length() > 2 && ui->Size->text().length() > 0 &&
                   ui->Weight->text().length() > 0;

Laz

• Down under
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 11:55:52 am »
Thanks for reply     f5soh I did have cc3d connected.

Thank you hwh     The "save to" option did not come up at all. Hit it and nothing happens.

I just find it annoying that I can't get the vehicle templet working.

Laz

• Down under
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 12:09:41 pm »
Thanks to every one that contributed to this post.

I just reloaded librepilot again, and the vehicle templet worked fine  :D
     Signing off for now Laz

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 11:36:13 pm »
Hi , i dont know if anyone is still reading this thread.

Im looking for a Quad H template for librepilot to work on a revo?

i am a bit of a noob at this even tho i have built 4 quads.

My pixhawk using apm flies a hell of a lot steadier using this frame type in settings than it does with same settings but using a Quad X type..... no matter how i adjust this and that.
Even with stock settings after a firmware change it is still rock steady on H rather than X ( this is on apm so may be different on libre)

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 04:39:17 am »
An X is usually the same width and length (M2M at least).  An H is often longer that it is wide.

Templates make people think that it should fly perfectly and that just isn't the case.  Different props, motors, weight will make it need different tuning.  I suggest that you start out with default settings and then tune it (try AutoTune, but be careful with the first tuned flight).

Most people that hand tune will just tune their PIDs differently for roll vs. for pitch, but there is another way.  You can also adjust the Vehicle -> MixLevel to handle the ratio between roll and pitch lengths, and then tune roll and pitch PIDs with the same number.  AutoTune handles it either way you set it up.