karla

My first mishap with AutoTune
« on: January 25, 2017, 02:02:10 am »
Hi,

AutoTune did a great job tuning 2 of my quads as described before
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=2949.msg20579#msg20579
But last time I ran AutoTune on the smaller 180 size quad it shaked rather much and after some 5-10 seconds it rolled over and crashed before I could switch back to bank #1 PID settings. This time I was using the heavier configuration with a camera on it. While the first successful AutoTune was made in the light configuration. The PIDs on bank #1 was used to fly it. Could that be the cause of crash?
What is the work around?
I would like to get it tuned for the heavier configuration.
This actually happened 2 times so I have no hopes it will just work next time I try.

Thanks a lot.

Re: My first mishap with AutoTune
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 04:14:40 am »
One requirement for AutoTune is that the PIDs you are using during AutoTune do not oscillate (or even "ring" badly).

If you tune a quad, then add a camera, it is heavier and will oscillate.

You can do it the other way around just fine:  If you successfully tune it with a camera, then remove the camera, it does not oscillate, and you can use those PIDs to run AT again.

I know that recently I discussed using PID banks so you could have one tune for camera and one tune for no camera.  I should have made it more clear then...

karla

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:44:15 am »
Yes, it basically mean I will have to tune it manually first. Then run AutoTune.
Okay.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 04:09:18 am »
If you have an oscillation or ringing in normal Attitude mode flight, you can cut R/P/Y PIDs all in half should make it OK to fly AutoTune.

karla

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:55:52 am »
Thanks! thats exactly the advise I needed.