Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 06:28:02 am »
The 4A is probably just better power.  It certainly doesn't even need 1A to run.  The fact that it isn't hot says it's not using even 1A.

burtlo

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 10:47:54 pm »
Someone wondered if this git issue was related. I've asked: https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/issues/2036#issuecomment-272294020

hwh

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 02:35:18 am »
I'm lost.   Does the board have LibrePilot or BetaFlight on it?  That thread seems to be talking about a problem with the OPBL version of BF.  I didn't know they even supported flashing through OP/LP any more.  I thought they discontinued that a few releases ago.

I downloaded the BF 3.1 release from their github a few days ago and flashed it's cc3d target onto one of my spare cc3ds.   It works fine.   I flashed it with a STLinkV2 instead of one of the serial things.  Considering the clones of them are less than $10 I don't know why more people don't flash with them.  No jumpering, no problems with timing, it just works.  :)

# version
# Betaflight / CC3D 3.1.0 Jan  6 2017 / 00:15:02 (f0fc42b)

burtlo

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 03:38:52 pm »
My board had LibrePilot on it before it stopped responding properly. Someone else suggested that github issue, but you're right... if that's simply a Betaflight issue, then it's not involved.

Btw, I bought another CC3D from a different vendor, and it set itself up quite nicely. I've still gotta connect the receiver and complete the setup, but I think I'm cookin' with gas now.

burtlo

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 03:02:33 pm »
On it goes... stuck with an oddity, here's where I'm at:

CC3D using LibrePilot 16.09. I've run through the Vehicle Setup Wizard, and flashed the latest.

I have a Spektrum-compatible S603 receiver, and I've set that up with PWM through the Main Receiver Port.

I'm trying to run through the Transmitter Wizard, but I'm having inconsistent results. I _have_ gotten to this point, though, which illustrates my singular problem at the moment.

I'm unable to get a signal from my right stick horizontal movement. This works on another quad, but almost every instance, I get "No activity" from the Receiver Activity section of the Input console. Thus, it seems my transmitter is configured, all except for my Roll control.

Any suggestions?

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 04:40:41 pm »
Assuming the transmitter isn't set up strangely (roll stick not sending), since you are using PWM and each channel has it's own wire, it seems likely that the #1 channel wire is not working.

You could try to just configure it manually.  Just set roll to channel #1, give it min, neutral, max and click Save.  You may have to set the Reverse if it is backwards.

Oh, it looks like you are trying to set up a one rotor heli with both collective and throttle channels.  If you are trying to fly a multicopter (e.g. quad), the transmitter should be configured as if you were flying an airplane (no collective channel).

If you actually intend to fly a one rotor heli, make sure your transmitter is actually sending both throttle and collective channels (must be configured as heli) and you don't have something stopping throttle from working (heli transmitters have a throttle hold switch).  Plug a servo into throttle and collective on the receiver and make sure that both are changing when you move the throttle stick.  Test the roll channel this way too.

burtlo

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 01:09:54 pm »
Thanks for sticking with me, TheOtherCliff.

I'm still mystified. To be clear, I'm configuring a quad, not a one rotor heli.

I confirmed on a different quad in CleanFlight that my transmitter's right-horizontal stick movement works in that it distinctly responds in the CleanFlight Receiver configuration. This was to rule out transmitter hardware failure.

Yet, in LibrePilot, still no go. I tried a second cable from the ReceiverPort, with the same PWM pin arrangements, no change. In PWM, that right-horizontal stick movement translates to Channel 3.

I tried PPM_NoOneShot with the same cable, from ReceiverPort with first three pins connected to the PPM pins on my receiver. All channels respond, but no response on Channel 3.

Then, I tried something different by selecting PPM_PIN8+OneShot. I moved pin 8 to the signal of pin 1, and inserted the plug onto my receiver's PPM pins. Still no go for Roll, on Channel 3.

So, as far as I can tell, I've tried PWM and PPM. Of note to me is that with PWM, the channel arrangements seem to be xETR (with "x" being the missing Aileron), but with PPM, the channel arrangements seem to be ETxR.

Any other ideas?

Attached is a screenshot of how far I got with the PPM config.

burtlo

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 01:45:16 pm »
I intend on trying the other ports, besides the ReceiverPort, as well as trying to use a Satellite Rx instead of my current receiver.

Also, I just realized that I have a "Reworked" CC3D, per https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33136714. I came to realize this when I saw a plug that matched my Lemon Rx Satellite on the bottom of the CC3D, underneath the ReceiverPort.

Lastly, I might try CleanFlight since things _are_ working on my other quad there.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 03:11:27 pm »
Power it up, connect it to GCS.  Go to the input page.

Does the transmitter roll stick perhaps move the collective slider?  Try to reconfigure it there in the way that you know it needs to work.

burtlo

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 04:12:19 pm »
I tried as you suggested with PPM, but I'm not getting any response from other channels besides 1, 2, 4, 5, 6.

I tried as you suggested with PPM, but I'm not getting any response from other channels besides 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

I've attached the Input configuration for PPM, and then for PWM along with my wire connections.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 07:35:11 pm »
try to narrow it down.  plug a servo into each receiver PWM output, and make sure it does what it is supposed to.  then test the channel 1 wire for continuity.  then try plugging that wire into a different Revo PWM input to see if you can get that working.

burtlo

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 12:08:41 pm »
My receiver issues were due a hardware problem in the receiver. I tried a Lemon Rx that I just received, and everything went smoothly.

Thanks for all your support! My CC3D quad now has all working parts assembled!

burtlo

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 10:39:16 pm »
I successfully maidened my quad, and no crashes! I've got some adjustments to do, but it performed pretty much as I expected. I'm very satisfied!

This was my first brushless ever, and a DIY on top of that! Thanks for all the help in making this happen.