xfce

Re: LP 16.09 frequently claims that GPS loses and regains fix
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 08:28:55 am »
GPS v9 firmware in the 15.xx releases had a bug that sent the FC a couple of corrupted packets each second.  The FC routines just ignored them.   In early 2016 when TheOtherCliff was working on adding support for the DJI Naza protocol into the FC he noticed the corrupted packets and told me. https://librepilot.atlassian.net/browse/LP-252  I fixed the firmware and it was merged into the next branch in March 2016.  The next actual release after that was 16.09.   Sometime in the last year the FC firmware was also changed to make it report those previously unreported errors.

The GPS v9 firmware changes didn't affect the EKF solutions, they just eliminated a bug that sent corrupted packets.

You mean the ublox give some corrupted packets to FC every seconds, firmware of 15.xx may use them and may give some position jump, and the new firmware just ignored these corrupted packets to cause error?

hwh

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 09:26:54 am »
No, the GPS v9 firmware sent corrupted packets to the FC, it had nothing to do with the ublox module.   It didn't actually affect anything because the FC was throwing away the bad packets.  The FC wasn't reporting that it had received and ignored the bad packets so no one noticed them.  Now the GPS v9 firmware has been changed to not send the corrupted packets and the FC firmware has been changed to report any bad packets.  If you run 16.09 on the FC and the old pre-16.09 firmware on the GPS you may see errors reported.

karla

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 10:02:39 am »
Hank, just a follow up question.
I have 4 of these 'old' GPS/Mag boards, does these changes to the GPS v9 firmware and the changes to the GCS of LP 16 also have effect on the Magnetometer?
Should I upgrade my GPS boards when using latest LP version?
K

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 10:44:09 am »
I recall that it can corrupt any packet, and that would mean it would corrupt some mag packets too, but then the checksum is bad so it ignores any bad packet.

You can use the new (fixed) GPS firmware with any FC firmware that can talk to a GPSv9; old OP or old LP or new LP.

karla

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 11:45:54 am »
Thanks Cliff, I think this spells out I need to upgrade the firmware on the GPSv9.

lucapif

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 10:14:51 pm »
Is there an easy way to update firmware GPS V9 with Win10?
It 'best gps naza clone or V9?
I have original Revolution.
thank you
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 12:51:06 am by lucapif »
Luca

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 10:40:20 am »
It looks like there is an issue with the Windows version of OpUploadTool.
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=2780.msg19383;topicseen#msg19383

I have used the Linux version 5 or 10 times though.
It looks like it requires that qt is installed.

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 06:21:59 pm »
They are both good GPS.  I have both and use both.  We can change firmware in the GPSv9 if we need to, but it is difficult to find and expensive when you find someone making them.  DJI is available now, and everywhere.

The DJI GPS that you linked is a clone.  They work, but just to let you know, you can buy authentic DJI Naza GPS for USD $37 (shipped) on eBay (and cheap DJI GPS clones too).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-DJI-Naza-M-Lite-GPS-Module-with-GPS-Bracket-for-RC-Multi-rotor-N7Q4-/291939192093

hwh

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 07:29:26 pm »
The authentic one is better but that auction doesn't ship to Italy or a lot of other places, mostly he ships only to the USA.

karla

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 04:05:46 am »
So reading below I understand you can update the firmware of GPS V9 using the OpUploadTool under Linux and maybe Windows, but how about using MacOS?
I am setting up a Windows PC but if there are issues I might better find another way...

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 05:01:09 am »
I need to boot a Live Linux DVD, install a few dependencies, write some instructions.  It should be fairly easy...

Of course it works fine from my Linux dev PC that already has the dependencies installed, but we need instructions that others (Windows and Mac) can use, till we get the Windows OpUploadTool.exe version fixed.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 09:14:59 am »
OSX version should work because initially used under OSX.
If you setup a minimal build environment you should be able to build the executable.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Mac+-+Building+and+Packaging
Or someone around with OSX, posting the executable.

but we need instructions that others (Windows and Mac)

Instructions are in second post of this thread.

karla

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 11:22:43 pm »
f5soh, not sure i understand. Do you mean that if the source code of the OpUploadTool.exe tool is build under OSX then it will result in an app that that can be used on a Mac to upgrade the OP GPSv9?
I have a build environment (xcode, home-brew, sdl) but not sure what code to use or how to get it.
Are these the instructions to be used from post 2?

Early test stage documentation
How to upload the firmware
the following operations are done using the gps firmware development branch that is located amorale/OP-1476_1477_1275_GPSV9_pios_firmware_bootloader
checkout the branch using the following command

git checkout origin/amorale/OP-1476_1477_1275_GPSV9_pios_firmware_bootloader

build the uploader and firmware using

make  stm32flash_install uploader ef_gpsplatinum fw_gpsplatinum -j4

you will find:
uploader under ./build/uploader_release/OPUploadTool
firmware under ./build/fw_gpsplatinum/fw_gpsplatinum.opfw
entire flash image under ./build/ef_gpsplatinum/ef_gpsplatinum.bin
stm32flash under ./tools/stm32flash/stm32flash

hwh

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 11:40:34 pm »
I don't have a mac, I'm on linux but when you do a "make all" of the code it automatically creates the upload tool in ./build/uploader_release.  Doesn't the mac version do that too?