mpjf01

Arducopter Port to Revo
« on: October 18, 2016, 04:56:07 am »
In the old Open Pilot forum there was a thread (by Stefan IIRC) regarding a port of a version of the Arducopter firmware to the Revo. I have been running the port on a camera hex using an early original Revo for some years and have always been impressed with it's performance, particularly when compared with an APM running the same firmware.

I recently purchased another Revo, from Hobby King this time as the original supplier seems to have vanished. I have spent the last two days trying to set it up in a quad using Librepilot, firstly RC2 then tried RC1. I cannot get the ACC, Gyro and mag to go green even though the GCS tells me that they have calibrated successfully. I have repeated the process a number of times with the Revo in and out of the frame, with USB power, with battery power and with both. I'm starting to conclude that the board is faulty but before I start the RMA process I would like to install Arducopter on it and see what results I get.

I have not been able to find the instructions and links to the firmware that used to be on the OpenPilot forum on this forum. Does anyone have an idea where they might be please?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Arducopter Port to Revo
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 08:07:59 am »
Hi, welcome.

There is a option that prevent from gyro init if the board is not steady while running Complementary.
Maybe your sensor is too noisy ?
Search for AttitudeSettings > BoardSteadyMaxVariance in UAVOBrowser and increase the value.

For APM32 on Revo, take a look here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20140531084718/http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/ArduPilot32+on+OpenPilot+Revo

mpjf01

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 11:27:32 am »
I'm not sure what all that means except that it appears that you are suggesting that the board is not still when the calibration is happening. If so that's not the issue, the board is not moving between the various calibration steps.

Thanks for the link to the Git repo. Now all I have to do is remember how the cabling to the Rx is set up, as I recall it's only PPM that's available, no SBUS.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 06:50:06 pm »
The board can be perfectly still but sensor noisy.
This prevent the gyro init, thinking the board is moving.

Simply try changing the threshold.

If you are using INS13GPS you need a GPS fix and > 7 sats, a green mag for INS initialization.

mpjf01

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 03:46:36 am »
I put the quad in a cupboard for a month or so as I was getting nowhere and had other projects to do. I returned to it today and have spent the last hour or so trying to figure out where to access the thing referred to a few posts above - UAVOBrowser -. I can't see it referred to in the GCS or the help file/Wiki. Can someone please help?

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 04:13:14 am »
UAVOBrowser = System page

There are settings which you can change and data objects which are things like sensor data that the FC changes.

mpjf01

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 04:28:17 am »
Thanks, easy when you know. Now to figure out how to use it.

mpjf01

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:24 am »
The current value (presumably the default) for BoardSteadyMaxVariance is 5. Any suggestions as to what would be a good value to increase it to?

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 04:40:46 pm »
You probably know, but just to say it, you can't hold the board still enough in your hand.  It needs to sit on a good surface.  Once in a while, grass even allows it to slip a little for the first little while.  Not usually.  I start from mown grass most of the time.

I would start by doubling the value.  If that doesn't work, you may have a bad sensor that you want to research more (maybe look at scopes and compare to other boards).

If it were me, after doubling I would find the smallest value that works, and then multiply it by 1.25 to give it a little margin so it always works and in any temperature.