Ennio

beginner setting question
« on: November 16, 2016, 02:35:18 pm »
I'm setting up my first quad and I would like to know how can I setup LibrePilot to have a beginner mode, so the quad is not running full speed and also have auto level enabled.

I have a CC3D board on the quad right now with a 6 channel radio.

Re: beginner setting question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 05:12:14 pm »
Use the default values for everything.  :)

Spend some time and go through each screen in the configuration section of the GCS to see the kinds of things that can be set, but don't change anything until you have flown it and can control it.

The default value for the first FMS (Flight Mode Switch) position is "Stabilized 1" which should be "Attitude Attitude AxisLock Manual" if you look at the bottom of the page to see how Stabilized 1 is currently configured.

This means that roll and pitch are in Attitude mode so they automatically level out if you release the stick.

The first thing you need to learn is to control the thrust well enough to keep it "knee to chest high".  If you can keep it just knee high and fly over grass, then just chop the throttle to zero if you are no longer in control.

Ennio

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 05:50:10 pm »
Thanks for the tips.

ajdavis402

• Just starting this thing.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:33:14 am »
Hey Ennio -

I just set my first quad up as well, and I was able to find a few posts on some ways to make it a little easier to move into it.

Within GSC, click on the "Stabilization" tab. Once there, there are 3 tabs for each of the 3 flight control setting banks. To help, I started by moving the 3 main sliders (Attitude, rate, and yaw) back by about 50% in the first bank. You can pick whatever amount. I then moved all 3 sliders in the "Expo" windows (to the right of your screen) to a higher number, like 30%. This means that you have to push more stick to get it to move in the direction you want it to go. On the next bank, I just made the adjustments smaller. On the third, I moved them forward just a bit. This should give you a really gentle setting to start out on, and you can move it forward as it gets more managable.

Also, on the altitude tab, I did the same things. On the chart with the 5 circles, I put the 3 center circles closer together. This means taht, as you move your throttle up and your quad rises, the middle section of the throttle stick starts to affect the height less. I set my circles to 0-30-40-50-90. This means that at 25% stick, you get 30% throttle, at 50% stick you get only 40% throttle, and so on. So it gives you more forgiveness on your height adjustments.

There may be better, more complex settings to make this stuff easier, but these were the first few things that I found worked for me, also being newer on my first quad.

Ennio

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 03:03:44 pm »
ajdavis402 thanks for the tips. I will play around later today with it. Last night I was able to get the quad setup and I was able to get it hoover and slow move it around.

Still have to get adjusted to the throttle, when I move the quad forward it started to go down and as I increased the throttle to compensate it would go very high and I had to push it back so it was not very smooth :) 

Ennio

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:14:22 pm »
One more question, I notice that the quad does not hover in place unless I keep adjusting the throttle, is this normal or do I need to adjust any other settings?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:20:19 pm by Ennio »

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 12:00:05 pm »
Hi
I am a beginner as well and have a 250 quad on 3s.

I have set-up 3 different throttle curves in my transmitter
Low, Linear up-to ~50%, then to max ATV of ~55% at full stick
Med, Linear up to ~50%, then to max ATV of ~60% at full stick
High, Linear up to 100% at full stick

It means in LOW it is docile enough to get off the ground and practice flying indoors with a low ceiling, as batt drops switch to MED
For outside HIGH.
I find it incredible how quickly they can gain altitude.
Also, for me, I have set the motors to run when armed with a 3s time-out, so pull the right stick over to arm...motors start and you have just long enough to get going and get your bearings, also when you drop it or crash it doesn't take to long to stop the props spinning
I haven't tried running in RATE mode yet, am finding it challenging enough in stabilised so far.

All the best
Phil

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 12:10:39 am »
For a beginner, I wouldn't recommend changing motor default operating modes (like enabling AlwaysSpinWhenArmed or AlwaysStabilizeWhenArmed).  You can, but there are things to consider if you do.

I still use the defaults.  I like it that the motors stop immediately when I move the throttle stick to the bottom.  Because of this, for me, automatic disarming isn't important.  Setting these differently becomes important at the time you are ready to do things (stunts) that require the throttle stick all the way down while flying.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 12:17:20 am »
One more question, I notice that the quad does not hover in place unless I keep adjusting the throttle, is this normal or do I need to adjust any other settings?

That is absolutely normal.  I actually like my throttle to have an airplane style ratchet.  There will be exactly one click where it is closest to hovering without much climb or descend.  It will climb or descend a little and when it does, just one click in the other direction.  You never move it too far, just one click up if it is descending and one click down if it is climbing.

While on that subject, be aware that you should never change the transmitter trims from where they were when you did the wizard.  (In Attitude mode) If it drifts left-right forward-backward you adjust Attitude->Settings->RotateVirtual to stop the drift.
  if it is drifting forward you subtract from pitch
  if it is drifting left you subtract from roll

Ennio

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 12:59:38 pm »
Thanks all for all the tips.

I got the quad flying yesterday (with the basic default settings) and it was flying really good. I think once I can fly it really good I will look at all the other settings.