OPLink compatibility with Win10/Surface Pro
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:20:56 am »
After several weeks of uneventful use of my OPLink Mini equipped ground station displaying PFD data on my Surface Pro, it quit working.  There may have been a Windows Update at the time, but I'm not sure of the timing of the update in relationship to the malfunction.
I've spent several days trying to figure out why, including downloading and installing bootloader and firmware on the OPLink and going through the configuration process several times. Finally, I got it working with my old Sony laptop running Win XP but not with my Surface Pro running Win 10.  Both display PFD data when connected to the Revo boards via a USB cable, but only the Sony displays live data vial the OPLink. 
I've used three different cables and two different Revo boards on my two vehicles with consistent results.
Device Manager says the "device is working properly" on both computers.
There are probably some clues in the TX and RX indicators lower left on the PFD screen, but I'm not sure how to interpret them. 
I have  vague recollection of a post that there are problems with Windows 10 and OPLinks, but can't remember the details.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

chromvis

Re: OPLink compatibility with Win10/Surface Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:48:27 pm »
Sounds like driver issue. I had similar long ago. It is tricky to fix because Win 10 has strong protection from unsigned drivers. If you uninstall and reinstall Librepilot it should ask your permission to install drivers, click OK and see if it went through. Most probably it will show error. Your GSC still will be able to connect to your board, but OpLink may not. You will need to search on how to show all drivers in Windows and erase manually unwanted drivers and reinstall Librepilot. May be developers can tell you more.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:47:11 pm »
16.09-RC2 do not have driver install by default while running installer.

Driver should not be needed for Windows10.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 08:53:09 pm »
Still trying......
Still no joy on getting my OPLink to work with either of my two Windows 10 machines.  I've tried it with both my desktop and tablet with the same results
I've tried Rescue and Upgrade and Erase.  Rescue's message says bu_oplinkmini.opfw successfully uploaded when Opened and Flashed, but Upgrade and Erase loads the firmware but freezes and times out when Rebooting and Erasing the board.
Device Manager still says the device is working properly with other parameters listed as:
General: OPLink Mini virtual COM port (COM4), Manufacturer Open Pilot, Location 0000.0014.0000.008.000.000.000.000.000
Port Settings are: 9600,8,none, 1, none
Driver: Provider - Open Pilot, Date - 11/21/2014, Version - 3.0.0.0, Signer - OpenPilot software
Details: too many to list
Events: Device install requested, Device service added, Device installed.
There are lots of other details available in the Details and Events tabs if they might help figure this out. 
Any other ideas?
Thanx

hwh

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 11:26:33 pm »
Unless you're using the oplink as a usb-serial adapter or reading telemetry with something other than GCS the COM4 device isn't being used.  That's one of the reasons we no longer install the driver by default.

The device that's being used is a composite device that doesn't require a driver other than the HID driver built into Windows.  It should be the one with a VID of 20A0 and a PID of 415C.  While it's written talking about a cc3d the wiki article https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Troubleshooting may help.

This isn't a Windows 10 problem per se, my Win 10 works fine.  It's just windows in general sometimes messes up what driver it's using for a device.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 04:33:35 pm »
I'm not sure what or which actions or sequence thereof worked, but, after MULTIPLE attempts at uninstalling and reinstalling composite USB device drivers, rescuing, upgrading and erasing firmware, reloading boot loaders, upgrading to 16.09 RC-2, bench testing with two different Revo and OPLink Mini board, using two different Win 10 computers, and 3 different USB cables, telemetry is FINALLY working again with two of my quads and my Surface tablet installed in my ground station.
Thanks for all the help and advice.  Hopefully things will keep working and I can move on to the next enhancements - adapting my Mobius/docking station and Micro MiniOPOSD for flight parameter display and enabling GPS assisted flight.

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 12:36:11 am »
Rather than remain mystified about my Windows 10/OPLink/telemetry SNAFU, I've done some more testing, and uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the specific composite USB device used by the OPLink Mini Ground Station seems to have consistently fixed the problem.
I hope this finding helps somebody else who may have the same situation.   

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 05:29:57 pm »
After MANY hours of testing with 4 different Revo Boards, two different computers, 3 different OPLink mini ground stations, 3 different USB cables, reflashing boot loaders and updating/erasing firmware on both boards and going through board and transmitter wizards numerous times, I think (hope) I've finally figured out why telemetry wouldn't work consistently on one of my quads.  The process involved swapping components one at a time, and the last change was the antenna connected to the Revo board.  Since I replaced the antenna on the vehicle, it seems that I now have a consistently solid telemetry link. 
So - if all else fails, and your telemetry isn't working, consider trying a different antenna.