jtrout19

Re: GPS only seeing 6 satellites?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 07:05:49 am »
OK So I am including a link to a video I took tonight with my phone of Position Hold, and velocity roam. I also turned on my pixpro and took a short video of quad in flight. Ive included fight log and settings. I have a naza GPS unit coming if I cannot this working. I will be honest I am getting frustrated. I have read through the Revo AuxMag and the AuxMag Calbration possible bug threads about 10 times a piece now. I can verify that when I hit start on mag calibration the value in UAVO Broswer reset to defaults. I have done calibration a more times than I care to count. I even did thermal calibration on it last night. So I really need some guidance here. I have even went back through and reassembled my quad. Made every wire as short as possible, twisted everything. Put every piece of hardware as low in the frame As I can get it. I have even unplugged everything that was not needed while doing the mag calibration and I cannot get any better than .889801  .859264  .960515.

In the first video the quad is pointing south. The final video and the longest it starts pointed south I gain some altitude then turn it to point north stay for a minute and then point south. Right after the yaw the quad descends rapidly because of mistake by the thumb you can kind of hear and see it in the video. The main reason for the last video was to listen for oscillations which I dont think I hear any. Also the third video is flown in stabilized mode with no GPS.

I got people telling me to give up and get something that works with APM. but I am determined to make these work. The revo without GPS works like a dream on my small 250. I have no gripes about it. The same people telling me to switch FC are using the FC's they are telling me to switch to and have GPS modes that work just fine on their quads.

Also I was playing with my extra revo tonight without anything attached to it expect for a power supply. Low current I did a mag calibration on the onboard mag and came up with the same numbers I have been? Why is that? Why the same exact numbers? Shouldn't the on board mag especially with nothing to influence that mag have better calibration results?

http://vid203.photobucket.com/albums/aa66/SickFoto/20161113_2317071.mp4
https://www.dropbox.com/s/relmviywlmpmktj/Quadflight1.avi?dl=0

jtrout19

Re: GPS and AuxMag Issues when doing everything right!
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 12:34:56 am »
I am honestly starting to draw the conclusion that the Revolution is not a good choice for anything with GPS flight modes. It should not be this difficult to get up and running. My naza GPS is supposed to arrive this week and I will see if that fixes my issue. If it does not then I am going to call it quits a purchase a Pixhawk 2 or a pixracer. I cant seem to get it figured out and the support team for librepilot can't seem to help me figure it out either. I appreciate you guys trying to help me. Hopefully it is my hardware that is defective and all is good. If not I am reserving revolution FC's strictly for non gps flight.

I will say that my little 250 is a rock solid little quad. Flies like its on rails and i couldnt ask for the revo to be any better in that situation.

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 05:54:10 pm »
Go back to Attitude mode and set it up with AltitudeVario throttle/thrust mode and get that working.  It sounds like you have Baro problems.  If so, this won't hold altitude correctly either.

Of course you still need to take off in Attitude with manual thrust mode while debugging this.

jtrout19

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 06:18:38 pm »
Ok i will try that tonight when i get home from work. If i have same issues in that mode then i have a bad barometer on my board?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 07:13:56 pm »
Is the baro sensor protected from the light ?

From the first video you posted, the altitude difference can be simply due to the sensor exposed to the light or not.

jtrout19

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 09:04:19 pm »
Its in the middle of my quad. So it should never get direct sunlight

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 09:17:07 pm »
I recall some tests using a closed box (opaque) with only a 3x3mm hole in one side and noticed changes when the hole was facing sun light (end of day) while yaw rotating...
You can do a simple test in night and apply or not the light and monitor the baro altitude.

Baro sensors are very sensible to light.

jtrout19

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 10:47:37 pm »
I will say this as well. The board was inside a mounting box that was dark grey. I took it out last night and changed my mounting to something that would absorb vibration. Another thing i have found as well is one of my props is a little messed up and is causing one motor to vibrate really bad. So i am going to swap my 12inch propr for my 10inch propa and see if that helps any as well. Would bad vibration cause the issues i am facing?

jtrout19

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2016, 03:10:14 am »
ok so the prop problem is fixed. I just reamed the hubs out till the prop would sit on the top of the motor. No more vibration at all from my motors. I need to redo my autotune now that that major source of vibration is gone. It was so bad that it made the spinner look like it was a rectangle. Im not sure how I missed that but it is fixed now. After I redo the auto tune I will redo the altitudevario flight.

I did take it outside and try it though and in altitudevario it still went up and down. never hit the ground though. I tried positionhold and velocityroam again as well. Its ability to hold its position is majorly improved I barely get any roll drift but I still get up and down drift not as much as before though.

So if it does turn out that I have a baro, what would exactly be wrong with it? Would I just need to purchase one and replace it? If so, I have never worked with baro's are they heat sensitive is there a special way you got to solder them to the board?

Charging batteries now will try to take a video of results tonight and post.

jtrout19

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2016, 04:04:11 am »
OK so I did some research on barometers and wow. I didnt realize how sensitive these things were. So i copied off this guy and made a home for my baro

Batteries almost charged

jtrout19

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2016, 04:54:52 am »
Alrighty I got some hope back now!! Things are looking much much better. I included some videos again of VelocityRoam and PositionHold. Compared to how it was its amazing. It is still no where I want it. I would like a more solid hold. I really dont want to see movement at all in PositionHold. The other thing is VelocityRoam supposed to keep the quad at a certain altitude in flight? If that is the purpose of it I would like it to be more precise as well. It holds altitude alright if I barely push the stick forward but if I go much past half stick it wants to loose altitude. Oh and f5soh I've include my most recent mag calibration numbers. I change GPS mast. to something alot better. With 4 screw holes and more rigid mast. Anyway tell me what you think and how I can continue to improve this.

Code: [Select]
.917266 , .888816 , .989901 Alot better than before yeah!

Now for videos!!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgfmee3ot5zhl4m/20161115_222539%5B1%5D.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k868lobwzr7tbb8/20161115_222617%5B1%5D.mp4?dl=0

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2016, 04:58:42 pm »
Wind from one or more props is a major concern too (not just light).  Even after trying to keep the wind off, on one quad I have, it would climb at full power if I yawed left hard (and not stop if I neutralized the yaw), but not if I yawed right.

You need just the right thickness of "open cell" foam.  The right thickness is like the right sized tiny hole, and it slows down the changes from prop blast, but not from actual altitude change.

Both VelocityRoam flight mode and AltitudeVario thrust mode have a dead band at center throttle stick.  If the stick is within +-10% (IIRC) of the center it acts exactly like it is in the center and is not supposed to vary in altitude.  Some users report they have to tune the Altitude PIDs to get it to work better.  I don't really recommend that.

Loosing altitude if going past half pitch stick when in these modes is usually a sign of motors not strong enough to do this.  As you approach a 90 degree bank the power required to avoid loosing altitude goes to infinity so all quads fail sooner or later.

Did you start from a cloud config or someone else's config (UAV file)?  That sometimes causes confusion where the original quad was tweaked in some strange way...

jtrout19

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2016, 05:23:41 pm »
I started from the basic quad config. Did autotune. Set things up that way. I built that little box for it and put that around it. I did try autoland last night as well and it works fairly well. It drops real quick for the first couple feet then slows down and continues to descend slowly till it hits the ground. No air or light can get to the barometer at this point. The little box that covers it is filled with cotton as well. The quad can yaw left and right with the same behavior as when at center stick. I know you do not recommend it but where do I find the altitude PID's? Would love to get it totally stable!

Thanks for your help.

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2016, 06:58:54 pm »
Air needs to be able to "leak" in to the box as if through a pin hole, but not much bigger a hole than that.  If the box is tightly built and glued down to seal then the baro can't work.  If AltitudeVario still works, then there is enough of a leak to work.

jtrout19

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2016, 07:10:29 pm »
Yes i put a very very small hole in the top of the box. But i am still having small issues with it not holding its altitude. What causes this and how do i go about fixing it?