Revolution with Oplink wont connect to ground station
« on: October 25, 2016, 07:49:40 am »
Hi Guys i bought a Revolution and can not get the oplink ground to connect to it I've tried three different controllers still no luck all the firm ware is the same and the setting are the same except the coordinator is ticked on the ground and the ID number is in the air side
Can any one shed a little light on the subject I've spend weeks on this and getting no-ware fast

Mateusz

Re: Revolution with Oplink wont connect to ground station
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:18:27 am »
Maybe oplink is faulty ? Does it work with another oplink ?

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:22:01 am »
no ive tried two Revo and another oplink ground mini radio still nothing i

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:51:57 pm »
Is modem using updated firmware ? You power-off Revo (CC3D has no oplink) and then you click update&erase and connect oplink modem via usb.
In your screen there is no bind-ing between both, as they don't see eachother for some reason. Are the two oplink modems from the same source (seller) ? Did they ever work before ?
I haven't notice any OPLink problem with 15.09 LibrePilot which is 1 year old now release and used to work just fine.

Brian

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:55:54 pm »
Is the revo powered via USB?  I believe If USB is connected, telemetry will flow over USB.

Could you show a screenshot of the OPLink configuration panel when you have the revo side powered with a battery?

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 04:34:07 am »
I have the screen shot of the oplink usb plugged in and battery powered all the setting are the same only thing that's different is the on the Oplink the BL is version 4 and on the Revo its BL version 6 but you cant have version 6 BL on the ground side .

jtrout19

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 08:25:54 am »
So not to discourage you but, I had some similar problems a while back never could get it working. I ended up having to purchase a new Revo and that solved the issue for me. The general consensus around my house is that I caused the issue because I left the antenna off the FC. I tried even replacing the RF module on the REVO and that didnt even fix it.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 07:07:10 am »
Hi Guys thanks for all the help finally got it working with a new oplink mini ground

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 04:15:19 pm »
Been having nearly the same issue, I could set them up and would connect but only at very short ranges, had the vendor replace both the Revo and the OPlink but the same again! thought I was going mad!, tried reverting the firmware and updating, then I remembered I had an Immersion RC power meter so I hooked up the Revo and got 89mw output, then I hooked up the OPlink and got 0mw, so now waiting for a third OPlink!! mine would connect but only -60DB at best so there must be a batch with duff output amp stage!

Brian

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 04:50:50 pm »
So not to discourage you but, I had some similar problems a while back never could get it working. I ended up having to purchase a new Revo and that solved the issue for me. The general consensus around my house is that I caused the issue because I left the antenna off the FC. I tried even replacing the RF module on the REVO and that didnt even fix it.

I doubt it was due to leaving off the antenna.  I've done accidentally that many times in development and never had a problem.  Of course, it's recommended to always have an antenna on when the radio is transmitting, but the modules do seem pretty resilient to at least short usage without an antenna.

Brian

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 04:56:22 pm »
Been having nearly the same issue, I could set them up and would connect but only at very short ranges, had the vendor replace both the Revo and the OPlink but the same again! thought I was going mad!, tried reverting the firmware and updating, then I remembered I had an Immersion RC power meter so I hooked up the Revo and got 89mw output, then I hooked up the OPlink and got 0mw, so now waiting for a third OPlink!! mine would connect but only -60DB at best so there must be a batch with duff output amp stage!

I have a batch of 3-4 that all had shorts in the antenna connection, which either prevented them from working all together or the had very limited range.

The problem is in an internal layer of the board, where there is not enough clearance between the ground plane and the antenna pin.  This problem actually exists in the gerber files of the original OPLink, but apparently didn't cause a problem, probably due to different board manufacturers specs.  We've discussed this with at least one of the manufacturers, and he said he fix it, but I'm sure there are still plenty of bad ones out there.

We diagnosed and fixed the problem by removing the antenna connector, drilling out the center hole with a very small drill bit to remove the short, and then soldering a wire directly to the module.  Not an ideal solution, but it brought the modules back to life.

hwh

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 12:52:08 am »
The thread https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=312.msg17951#msg17951 discusses the shorted antenna pin and the fix.