LibrePilot Reverse motor direction?
« on: October 19, 2016, 05:13:25 am »
I'm putting together a 180 size quad. It as Hobbywing X-Rotor 30A controllers, Revolution Micro flight controller and OrangeRx R617XL cPPM reciever. I'm running GCS V15.09 Linux.

The question is: can the GCS individually reverse the motor direction? They are running BLHeli and OneShot125. The motors are hard wired to the speed controller. I can find in the GCS where to reverse all the motors together, but not individually.

It seems to have setup OK, I will swap two wires on the offending motors if needed.

Re: LibrePilot Reverse motor direction?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 05:57:33 am »
Someone correct me if im wrong here.

Speed controllers allow a variable amount of power through, but they cannot reverse the polarity of that power to spin the motor backwards.

To reverse motor direction, reverse the polarity of the wires from the ESC to the motor.

While not really better or worse, Some motors come in CC/CCW pairs and each are built to spin in opposite directions without needing to do this reversing ( along with the benefit of having reverse threaded shafts to better hold the props on those motors)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:13:12 am »
Also, when i made my quad, i soldered banana connectors on all wire connections between conponets, that way i could disconnect/reconnect wires or change parts much easier without needing to desolder/resolder things.

It was more work (two solders per connection plus heat shrink to protect the banana plug connections from shorts), but it makes life much easier when things go wrong.

chromvis

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:39:36 am »
Download BLHeliSuite1408.zip from here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dx6kfaasyo24l/BLHeliSuite
Unpack and run application. It allow you to flash latest firmware on your ESC (current is 14.8 ) and configure the way you want including reverse rotation.
You need to connect power to ESC and use either SiLabs USB/Com Bootloader (USB dongle) or ATMEL USB linker (Arduino), depending on the type of controller on your ESC hook it to control wires (cut out power from ESC BEC, or pull out middle (red) wire from plug.
Software allow full configuration. I even was able to use different ESCs on the same quad with the same amperage rating and same chip but from different manufacturers (not recommended though, but if one ESC busted this could be temporary measure)

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:31:26 am »
I was asking if Librepilot can reverse motor direction with software. I read some where it could. The controller may not be compatabe. Just a small thing to aid in setup.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 09:30:44 pm »
I wound up swapping the wires on two of the motors. Everything is turning in the correct direction. I have done a couple of low level hovers. It seems to be OK. Now I have discovered the CCW and CW motors are in the wrong direction. Everything is soldered together. Is there anyway to run the propellers in the opposite direction from how the wizzard sets it up.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 07:50:14 am »
Configuration -> Vehicle
has a "Reverse all motors" check box.