jtrout19

Genuine Revoltion
« on: November 26, 2016, 05:57:06 pm »
Hey guys so I just order the board from OSHpark. I am going to be building a genuine revolution well 3 of them because that is the minimum quantity to order board wise. So I will be selling one or maybe two of them. I will let everyone know when I get them done if anyone is interested.

Re: Genuine Revoltion
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 05:05:25 pm »
Just my thoughts...

Some of the clone boards have the same layout as the original if that is what you are after, and as far as I know, even the other boards work as well.  One clone board design has a component mounted too close to a mounting hole and needs a modified nylon mount.

Once in a while there is a problem with a new clone.  I fixed a solder blob issue for a friend.  The baro issue is well documented and easily (compared to building a whole board from parts) fixed.

If you enjoy building the electronics, then that is enough reason :) , but buying one clone and verifying it is OK, then buying more from the same seller would be quicker, cheaper, less work?  Even if you get a bad board from a bad seller that won't address the issue (and that is why I use PayPal).

jtrout19

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 07:22:51 pm »
The 3 boards I have all have the same layout but not the layout that the real revolution has. Building one is going to be my last ditch effort. And yes I really do enjoy making and building electronics. Ive even etched my own boards before.

hwh

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:25:34 pm »
The only change they seem to make that affects flying only affects the barometer.  They switched to a different regulator chip and forgot to change the noise filter cap to match.  The other changes don't affect flying.

They sometimes remove the ESD protection chips from the inputs, they were left off by the original designers in the later OP revo nano and aren't on most other boards. The part that's too close to the screw hole that Cliff mentioned isn't really a big problem, just something to watch out for.   The rest of the changes that come to mind were changes to make them easier to machine assemble.  The original designers liked to use tiny 0402 size parts even when they had plenty of room for the bigger, easier to assemble and solder 0603 ones.  And one person reported in the forums that they got a board with the wrong baro chip on it but he's the only one I've heard of.

It can be fun to build things yourself but you shouldn't expect the ones you build to fly any better than the Chinese ones.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:34:20 pm »
Hey i also got a revo with non original barometer...so count is two now :-)
Hardware: F450 Frame--Revolution Board--EMax 2213-935kv--BullTec 30A Opto--5000mAh 3S 30C LiPo--NEO M8N GPS+MAG--Fr Sky Taranis Plus + OPLink Mini
Addon: sj5000x + two axis gimbal + minimosd + eachine VT + easycap
Software: Black Rhino, LP2GO

jtrout19

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 09:47:26 pm »
Just out of curiosity is there a way to make mag 2d instead of 3d? Or is that all embedded in the code?

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 04:36:57 am »
That's actually being considered, but I think it does cause issues when the yaw suddenly flips 180 degrees and reverses direction when in a bank (imagine what happens to yaw between 89 and 91 degrees in a pitch flip).  IIRC, with a 3D compass, there is no sudden flip; the mag vector just points at a slightly different place.  With a 2D compass, the heading flips suddenly, and the heading is all the compass gives the flight code?