ggrif

OPLink Mini radio problems
« on: October 04, 2016, 11:46:17 pm »
Since the OP Revo was introduced I've enjoyed the functionality/convenience of using an OPLink Mini for monitoring/tuning etc.  I collected 5 over the past few years.  So, when one "died", no big deal, hook another up to the laptop and party on.  Bummer, now I've run out of OPLink mini's so I'm hoping I can fix one or two or all?

What happens is the mini will be working fine then it just quits receiving. I can Rescue and install FW, the status LED's on the mini board light up, I can configure them in the GCS but they no longer connect to Revo, Sparky2 or clone Revo.  Can't find a reset button, lol.

I'm not a radio guy, no o-scope or any of that other test equipment but if anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.  Don't really know where to start.

Brian

Re: OPLink Mini radio problems
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 12:05:35 am »
If they were working one day and not working the next, then it pretty much has to be a hardware problem, which seems odd, since I've never had a hardware failure on any of mine, and some have taken quite a bit of abuse during development.

ggrif

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 12:26:01 am »
I seem to be having my share of weird problems lately.

Anyway, do these screen shots tell you anything?

Brian

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 01:19:12 am »
Looking at those screen shots, the modem appears to be working.  It's not passing data when you just have the OPLink connected?  It must be a configuration problem, but I don't see any problem on those images.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 03:01:27 am »
I continue to have the same situation with my OPLink Mini.  It was one of the "Unexplained Changes" (admittedly not a good choice of title) on my post.  I've received lots of advice and suggestions, and tried them all without success as I described in my most recent reply on that thread.  It's particularly frustrating since the device had been working just fine for more than a month and seemed to spontaneously go south.
I'd like to find out more about the interaction between the hardware, firmware, and software.  I've read about a "boot loader" in addition to the firmware and would like clarification about whether these are similar to the action of other computers, where the BIOS initiates bootup, loads an operating system, which presides over the application software.
Is my theory that I have corrupted bootup instructions that prevent the firmware from loading totally off base, or would it be simpler to just order another Mini?
Thanks for any help.

ggrif

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 04:54:32 am »
Looking at those screen shots, the modem appears to be working.  It's not passing data when you just have the OPLink connected?  It must be a configuration problem, but I don't see any problem on those images.

Nothing has changed in configuration. It worked this morning. Then it didn't work.

Just like the other four.

What else can I provide to figure this out?

Thanks for the help.

ggrif

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 05:02:06 am »
I continue to have the same situation with my OPLink Mini.  It was one of the "Unexplained Changes" (admittedly not a good choice of title) on my post.  I've received lots of advice and suggestions, and tried them all without success as I described in my most recent reply on that thread.  It's particularly frustrating since the device had been working just fine for more than a month and seemed to spontaneously go south.
I'd like to find out more about the interaction between the hardware, firmware, and software.  I've read about a "boot loader" in addition to the firmware and would like clarification about whether these are similar to the action of other computers, where the BIOS initiates bootup, loads an operating system, which presides over the application software.
Is my theory that I have corrupted bootup instructions that prevent the firmware from loading totally off base, or would it be simpler to just order another Mini?
Thanks for any help.

FWIW, I don't believe you've corrupted anything. I just remembered I have one more OP Link in a wall hanger. I'm going to check with Brian, hook it up and see what happens.

Stay tuned

ggrif

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 05:06:14 am »

Brian, first, thanks for your help.

I have one more OPlink in a wall hanger. Would you mind advising me on troubleshooting? 

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 07:33:28 am »
Try reducing Tx power to minimum in both sides, like 1.25mW

Brian

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 05:15:49 pm »
@ggrif: Based on the screen shots that you showed, the OPLink is talking over USB, and the radios are communicating over the air, so I don't have any idea why it would not be working, especially if you didn't change any configuration.  I assume that in your tests you have the quad powered via battery, and the OPLink connected via USB, right?  If you connect both via USB, the telemetry might not go over the radio link.

ggrif

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 05:33:17 pm »
Thanks, I've tried that with 2 of the 5, no go.  Will try with the rest and see what happens.

Also, I pulled my last OPLink mini out of the wall hanger. Now it doesn't work either!  I've changed usb cables, computers, FC's, even reinstalled 16.09 RC1.  I can't count the number of times I've Rescued and updated the mini's.  This is just weird.

When the first mini failed a few months ago it happened gradually.  I was checking out a Revo clone and noticed that the link range was reduced to a meter or two. Worked fine on the bench but dropped off dramatically when I placed the FC outside. Two others failed in the same manner, the others just worked then quit working altogether.

This problem plus the issue with all my OP V9's throwing disconnect errors can mean only one thing, the BlueSmoke gremlins have taken residence in my hardware.  :'(

ggrif

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 06:58:53 pm »
@ggrif: Based on the screen shots that you showed, the OPLink is talking over USB, and the radios are communicating over the air, so I don't have any idea why it would not be working, especially if you didn't change any configuration.  I assume that in your tests you have the quad powered via battery, and the OPLink connected via USB, right?  If you connect both via USB, the telemetry might not go over the radio link.

Brian, you are absolutely right, no telemetry over radio if both connected via USB! I've got 3 of them working correctly again, the other two are apparently dead.  I've learned something new, appreciate your help. 

I still don't really understand what's going on though.  The FC/flight OPLink were battery powered when the ground link quit communicating at the beginning of this ordeal.  It was only in the last few days of pulling my hair out that I used only USB connections, FC to laptop and oplink to desktop.  Anyway, Im gonna go fly for a while!