umar14

2.4 GHz Wireless Modules for RC Control
« on: September 26, 2016, 09:43:02 pm »
Hello,

Can I use Wireless Modules like nrf24L01 or esp8266 to send RC data to CC3D Board? If yes, How would I interface them?

Thanks

Brian

Re: 2.4 GHz Wireless Modules for RC Control
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 12:22:09 am »
This would be one way: https://github.com/davidbuzz/esp8266_wifi_tx

In general, it depends on what you're using for a transmitter.  Pretty much all transmitters support PPM, but if you want to get into telemetry and such, it get's much more complex.

I think it would be good for the industry if someone defined a vendor neutral, industry standard serial protocol for both control and basic telemetry that could be simply sent over a raw RF serial link, but I suspect that a different topic...

There are some protocols that you the nrf24l01, and some of those are supported by the OpenTx and Deviation firmwares, but I don't know the details.  The Crazyflie (1 and 2) quadcopters use the nrf24l01 and nrf51822 modules for instance.

umar14

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:36:22 am »
Thanks Brian, Your link was really helpful.

Can I interface the Transmitter (esp8266 module) with the GCS and use it to send RC Commands to Receiver? instead of the OPLink Board.

Thanks,

Brian

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:08:51 pm »
I believe the GCS can connect to a UDP port, so you could create firmware for the ESP8266 that opens a UDP port and forwards it to it's UART, which could be connected to the FC uart.  That would give you a wireless connection to the GCS and wouldn't even require any hardware on the GCS side (it would use your computers WiFi), but that's going to take a bit of coding on the ESP8266.