Intermittent Power Loss
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:01:15 pm »
I am experiencing intermittent power loss after upgrading to the Librepilot firmware/software. I took a year off RC but started flying the last two weeks, then I noticed the change from OP to LP so thought I'd load up the latest version. Ever since I did that, the last three flights have given me this power loss. When it happens at high altitude, it falls out of the sky but usually recovers in time for some quick lift and landing. But once I was flying low and the power shut off and it took a dust nap.

Perhaps it's not related to the upgrade, but I've never had this problem before. Just funny that it happened right after the upgrade. It's a definite power loss rather than signal because the blades stop running and it drops. The quad is a Drone Frames 250 mini-D running a CC3D Atom.

As another data point, I also upgraded my DJI 450 Flamewheel running a Revo board, and the first flight ran fine - no problems. I'll continue to test the 450. Just wondering if anyone can help me diagnose what's happening with my 250 because it's not safe to fly. It's seen a few hard wrecks but all the gear is properly attached, and the power issue happens with different batteries.

Cheers.

Mateusz

Re: Intermittent Power Loss
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:52:48 pm »
If in doubt just downgrade to whatever was there before and see if the problem is gone ?

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 08:29:01 pm »
True, I could do that.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 07:21:11 pm »
This is usually caused by an FC failsafe.  The default for FC failsafe is to turn all motors off.

For instance, I had a single PWM input wire that was intermittent and it caused the same for me.

I figured it out by logging with telemetry and seeing what caused the issue.  I could see that one of the PWM inputs went to 65534 when it happened.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 07:35:33 pm »
Thanks! Helpful data.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 04:30:56 pm »
Made sure all connections were secure and ran the Vehicle Setup wizard again and all is well.

Well, other than crashing and breaking the arm, but that's another story. 

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 09:54:18 pm »
I have absolutely no evidence but I had a bad cc3d clone that worked for a while then started dropping power to the RX and it went into failsafe every time. Turns out the clone board was thin and I either cracked the traces in the board or the solder joints at the port. Couldn't tell and didn't have equipment to test. Replaced the FC and everything was as it should be.
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS