Problem with INS13
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:50:28 pm »
Hello, I have  a problem with the INS13 GPS mode.

I am using this flight controller with this GPS module.

I did all the calibration, several times and very rigorously. But always when I turn on the INS13, the aircraft appears tilted and unstable. It goes crazy if I try to use any of the GPS modes in flight.

I've read a lot of post on this forum, still I have not a clear solution on how to fix it.

This is my first build, and I am regretting starting this hobby.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Problem with INS13
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:48:43 pm »
Hi, welcome.

Looking at your screenshot the Mag alarm is orange, maybe without motor started.
Using only the onboard Mag you cannot fly without mag alarm, all power parts (big wires, esc, motors) are too close and cause strong magnetic fields.
A simple Lipo alarm device can also disturb the mag.

You should use the "next" Gcs version and use a external mag, a Naza GPS is prefered because allows GPS and Mag data using the same wiring/connection.
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=449.msg15319#msg15319

https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=1910.0

chromvis

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:55:34 pm »
In the title of your GPS module it is Neo6M, in "included" section it is Neo8M. It only have 4 wires, so  it is either NAZA compatible (which I doubt), or magnetometer is not wired. Actually, in the discussion section of the same HK page it is mentioned that magnetometer is not wired.
Since mag sign in your screenshot is yellow - you have communication with magnetometer. There are just significant difference between on-board and external mag calibration.

In any way, all these GPS (NAZA, or PixHawk style) are working only with "next" version of LibrePilot which is not released yet. You should compile it on your own (risk!). Currently there is some sort of a bug, which requires specific calibration procedure (https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=2187.0).
If you follow TheOtherCliff recommendations you will be able calibrate both mags. I tested it with Revo and with Sparky2 FC and also with NAZA-type and Arducopter-type GPS units - all work fine.
You need to start calibration than in System tab press  "upright red arrow" (save to board) button and than proceed with calibration.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 12:41:17 am »

Looking at your screenshot the Mag alarm is orange, maybe without motor started.

In the title of your GPS module it is Neo6M, in "included" section it is Neo8M.
Since mag sign in your screenshot is yellow - you have communication with magnetometer. There are just significant difference between on-board and external mag calibration.

I am looking at the IC of the GPS and it says "Neo6M".

The MAG is always green, it just lit up yellow because i brought the quad inside when i took the screen shot.

Using only the onboard Mag you cannot fly without mag alarm, all power parts (big wires, esc, motors) are too close and cause strong magnetic fields.
A simple Lipo alarm device can also disturb the mag.

Well if the onboard MAG is not usefull and there is no support or aux MAG, the Revo board I bought is technically and incomplete product.

I've seen other ppl use smaller quads with GPS modes such as auto-takeoff and anto-land. But how is this just hanppening to me?

At the moment I kinda regret going for librepilot  :-\

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 12:55:28 am »
Well if the onboard MAG is not usefull and there is no support or aux MAG, the Revo board I bought is technically and incomplete product.
I've seen other ppl use smaller quads with GPS modes such as auto-takeoff and anto-land. But how is this just hanppening to me?

All working setups in small frames and mostly all big frames uses a external Mag.
OnBoard mag can be used on big frames if all wiring is perfectly done, twisted to avoid/minimize mag fields from strong currents.

If you are not happy with LibrePilot you can also try dRonin, Taulabs or older OpenPilot versions if something better for you and maybe reduce magically Mag fields due to external power components too close.

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 04:53:20 am »

All working setups in small frames and mostly all big frames uses a external Mag.
OnBoard mag can be used on big frames if all wiring is perfectly done, twisted to avoid/minimize mag fields from strong currents.

If you are not happy with LibrePilot you can also try dRonin, Taulabs or older OpenPilot versions if something better for you and maybe reduce magically Mag fields due to external power components too close.

The thing is that confuses me is how other people can use GPS modes and when I use gps mode the drone just goes crazy.

I see old videos, that  I assume that are before the extMAG was available, using those modes.

When I tried position hold, the drone just circled around like it had a region of interest in the middle.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 05:05:19 am »
Typical "toilet bowling", the quad try to correct position but his heading is wrong (disturbed Mag) and finally do a circle trajectory around the expected position.
Sometimes you can fly maintaining the correct heading only based on gyros, but generally a small heading drift comes and cause issues.

The only external mag supported was original OP GPSv9 starting from OpenPilot 14.10 release to LibrePilot 15.09
The current "next" version add additional support to I2C mag and Naza GPS with Mag.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 10:20:30 am »
I had the same "track to go" - but  finally the forum here is great to get help and solve everything.

1) The first important thing is that you get the latest "next" release on your FC revo in order to be able to use external mag. See here:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Windows+Building+and+Packaging

2) After that you need to check if your external GPS delivers mag data with the 4 wires. Often the external mag wires are not pre-instaled. You will see this on the magentometer screen for external/internal and see if data is rushing in. If not, you need to browse the forum and maybe need to solder 2 extra wires to get the mag data. Some external mags directly communicata via the 4 wires (like DJI/Naza clones) - some need additional two wires to be placed and connceted to main/flexi port in addition. My recommendation would be to get a DJI/Naza compatible GPS/mag which delivers the mag data directly over the 4 wires. So easy install.

3) There is currently an issue with the external mag calibration in the next release. So you need to start the calibration, go back to the system/settings tab and save the data via the red arrow. After that go back to the calibration and continue mag calibration.

These 3 steps helped me getting my external mag setup in order to get the GPS modes working.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 06:34:55 pm »
I had the same "track to go" - but  finally the forum here is great to get help and solve everything.

1) The first important thing is that you get the latest "next" release on your FC revo in order to be able to use external mag. See here:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Windows+Building+and+Packaging

2) After that you need to check if your external GPS delivers mag data with the 4 wires. Often the external mag wires are not pre-instaled. You will see this on the magentometer screen for external/internal and see if data is rushing in. If not, you need to browse the forum and maybe need to solder 2 extra wires to get the mag data. Some external mags directly communicata via the 4 wires (like DJI/Naza clones) - some need additional two wires to be placed and connceted to main/flexi port in addition. My recommendation would be to get a DJI/Naza compatible GPS/mag which delivers the mag data directly over the 4 wires. So easy install.

3) There is currently an issue with the external mag calibration in the next release. So you need to start the calibration, go back to the system/settings tab and save the data via the red arrow. After that go back to the calibration and continue mag calibration.

These 3 steps helped me getting my external mag setup in order to get the GPS modes working.

Thanks for the clear response datapool!!

The GPS module i got is kinda BS, because you cannot use the MAG, it has to be connected via I2C and the connection is not there.

I will try to solder it or get a new GPS module.

BTW the new GCS is much better then the old one.

Thanks again !

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 05:10:12 am »
One thing to ask,

Will the this naza clone perform the same as this GPS module?

The PCB quality is obviously different, but both "engines" are NEO-M8N so they should perform the same, right?

hwh

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 05:30:00 am »
The first is a naza clone that has a mag in it as well as the gps.  With the next branch of the firmware it gives both a gps and an external mag over one four pin cable.  It won't work with the 15.09 release.  It requires the connector to be replaced to hook it up to a cc3d or revo.  These are the ones we currently recommend.

The second one is only a gps, it doesn't have a cable for a mag but does seem to have the correct connector to hook up.   It would work as a gps only under any OP or LP version.  Without a separate external mag board to go with it GPS modes probably wouldn't work.

GPS performance is probably similar but it really depends on what (if any) external lna, saw filter, and antenna they used.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 03:31:08 am »
The first is a naza clone that has a mag in it as well as the gps.  With the next branch of the firmware it gives both a gps and an external mag over one four pin cable.  It won't work with the 15.09 release.  It requires the connector to be replaced to hook it up to a cc3d or revo.  These are the ones we currently recommend.

The second one is only a gps, it doesn't have a cable for a mag but does seem to have the correct connector to hook up.   It would work as a gps only under any OP or LP version.  Without a separate external mag board to go with it GPS modes probably wouldn't work.

GPS performance is probably similar but it really depends on what (if any) external lna, saw filter, and antenna they used.

Hello,

You didn't recommend any. I will solder some wires to mine and try to use it over I2C.

As for the Naza clone, TheOtherCliff used it in the next version. So i think i will be getting one.

Thanks!

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 10:21:16 pm »
The INS13 saga continues!

f5soh and chromvis, you were right! (ofc) The inernal MAG was working on the groud, with some thrust it wen't bad.

The GPS module does not have the auxMAG wired, so i soldered the I2C wires, connected over Flexi Port and it started working.

All calibrations (exceptthermo) have ben done. The aux mag is working fine even with the magnetic fields of the thrust, but again when i turn on the INS13 witht he drone on the ground it apears that is flying arround. Even when I try "positionHold" mode with "Complementary+MAG+GPSoutdoor" it drifts arround, but not in a toilet bowl way.

Here is a video of it showing thrust effect on the MAG's and the INS13: https://www.dropbox.com/s/edmzebvwiiknopk/20160901_173903.mp4?dl=0

So now i don't really know where to turn, any ideas?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:01:09 am by VectorJones »

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 08:59:38 pm »
to me it looks like the auxmag calibration is not correct. Do you have used the "workaraound" during calibration? Meaning you start calibration (1 click), go back to systems/settings and save the settings via red arrow and go back to calibration screen to complete the calibration routine? Thats important with current next release.

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 09:29:33 pm »
to me it looks like the auxmag calibration is not correct. Do you have used the "workaraound" during calibration? Meaning you start calibration (1 click), go back to systems/settings and save the settings via red arrow and go back to calibration screen to complete the calibration routine? Thats important with current next release.

No, I didn't do the workaraound. I also read that I probably have to change the pitch 180ยบ.

Didn't try it today because of the hurricane, will try tomorrow if the weather is good.