Neighbor

• Pretty new to libre pilot and quadcopters, trying
First quad, loses control on a hard pitch
« on: August 26, 2016, 08:50:59 am »
Just got my hands on an rjx caos 330 frame with red bottom motors, afro 30a esc, and a mini cc3d controller. I'm completely new to PID tuning, and I think I'm close. I've been trying some more harsh stick movements though, and I'm noticing a few things I need help with.

First, in rate mode with a brief foreward pitch, it adds a bunch of power, and climbs. The throttle is set to manual mode, so I'm pretty sure the cruise control settings in stabilization doesn't affect it... how do I fix this?

Second, and more concerning, in rate mode with a quick moment of full foreward pitch, and then back to centre, it flips to the side and loses control. I read a few other forums that had similar problems, which concluded with bad esc connections, and gyros that failed; I checked all my connections were solid, and every time I takeoff again after a crash it controls just fine until another hard pitch...

My internets really slow so I'll post a video later

Any input would be appreciated...
-Bowen

Re: First quad, loses control on a hard pitch
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 06:42:44 am »
One question you could ask yourself is whether it does it with stock PIDs.

If it's not  PID related...

If it climbs when you wiggle pitch back and forth you need to enable "Light Damping" or similar.

A better test that rules out Cruise Control is If it climbs similarly when you simply yaw back and forth a few times.  If it climbs you need "Light Damping".

If it climbs when you slowly (not a quick flick) pitch forward and hold it there, you do probably have Cruise Control enabled on that switch position.  (or ALtitude Hold/Vario and you have uncovered baro problems).

Your loss of control issue sounds like one of:
- ESC calibration needed
- mismatched ESCs or ESC firmware or motors or props.
- bad connection in some battery/PDB/ESC/motor (usually an ESC-motor bullet connector solder problem)

I think I would start with ESC calibration in the wiki.