uBlox NEO-7M issues
« on: August 21, 2016, 11:34:46 pm »
I purchased a uBlox NEO-7M a while back and when I finally got to using it I was disappointed. The GPS only shows 2 satellites in view and even outside did not manage to connect to any. I remember reading somewhere that the NEO-7M can only use a 9600 baud rate but my REVO configured it at a 57600. Do I need to manually configure the GPS' baud rate or is there another solution to get it working. The GPS also claims to have an internal magnetometer but I do not think the REVO is using it. Here is my GPS: http://www.banggood.com/Mini-Ublox-7M-GPS-Module-for-CC3D-Naze32-Flip32-SP-F3-Flight-Controller-p-1042849.html.

Thanks

hwh

Re: uBlox NEO-7M issues
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 12:12:32 am »
Baud rate doesn't have anything to do with how many satellites it sees. 57600 is pretty much the standard rate, 9600 is too slow. Almost all the ublox GPS modules default to 9600 from the factory but are reset to 57600 by the firmware.  Any NEO-6/7/8 should work fine at 57600.

If it only sees 2 satellites after you've let is sit powered up outside for 20 minutes or so to download the satellite info from the gps satellites then it's probably a bad gps.  Only seeing a couple of sats for the first few minutes when it's first powered up for the day is normal.

That particular GPS only shows one cable with 4 wires in it for the GPS part.  The mag requires another cable on all but the GPS V9 and DJI Naza GPS units.  Your GPS isn't one of those.   It may or may not have a compass chip in it, some like that have the chip but it's not wired.  If it has the chip you may be able to use it by soldering on another cable.  I'm not sure why they sell them without the cable attached, I suspect that those are the ones that the mag chip failed quality control tests so they leave the cable off and sell it as just a GPS.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 01:42:46 am »
I did open it up to connect it to u-center and noticed 2 unused pins. The issue is that I need to plug an OSD in to the REVO as well and I will not have enough pins. Is there some way of getting more ports for the REVO or maybe connecting something through an output pin? If not I'll buy a DJI clone like this: http://www.banggood.com/Ublox-M8N-GPS-Compatible-with-DJI-NAZA-Lite-V1-V2-Flight-Controller-Phantom-1-2-Vision-p-991718.html.

hwh

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 02:12:33 am »
There's an issue open to allow the GPS to be hooked up to the flexi-io (receiver) port instead of the main or flexi port. https://librepilot.atlassian.net/browse/LP-239 but I don't know when it will be completed.

I've been recommending that people use either the genuine DJI Naza GPS or one of the clones you pointed out.  One of the developers has seen the clones lock up and stop sending data after running for a long time and he recommends the genuine ones.  Unfortunately they're between two and three times more expensive than the clones.  I've used both and haven't had any problems but I don't run long tests.

The ones like you have almost always have the two unused pins but some don't have the actual mag chip.  It's usually marked with L883 or A983.