Daxo

Hi guyz,

I was wondering if there's someone in here, sufficiently technically inclined to mod the power and ground through hole placement on the CC3D Atom.

I'm negotiating with a fab in regards to that, trying to see what would be the cost of that, also I will take the design mod full project files and opensource them back.

The point of my post is, if there is a person that could do it, I would rather hire that person to do this simple design mod.

As far I'm able to read the circuity in the pcb software, the ground and power are the 2 inner layers, it's blunt simple to do this yet I don't dare to do it my self in fear I might mess up the rest of circuitry.

Why would I want to do this,

very simple, by this mod the CC3D atom would be very applicable as go to fc for any frame and it's integrated pdb/accessory circuitry.

As simple as soldering two wires together.

In my humble opinion, this would kick arse for the users and designers and let's face it, CC3D Atom with Libre Pilot software is all one really needs to fully enjoy his flying.

Best,
D.

Innovation Matters

Brian

Re: CC3D Atom - simple signal-ground-power through hole placement mod
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:20:45 pm »
Can you explain more exactly what you are wanting to change?  I don't understand the change that you're suggesting.  Also, are you talking to the existing fab that makes the CC3D Atom (clones)?

Daxo

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:29:57 pm »
No, the fab I've been working with on several PDB designs lately is legit. doesn't do that cloning crap.

Regarding the mod.

I'll try to share my idea about the layout.

Currently, there's 3 columns of pins for motor/servos.

The one closest to the edge is  ground, followed by positive in the middle and last one, closest to the fc circuitry are individual signal through holes.

If the outer two, power + - are removed the signal column remains, now instead of through hole the signal pad would be castellated holes.

The power would go at the other opposite side, made of two larger castellated holes.

now, it would possible to solder fix the FC piece to any sort of external circuitry plate, be it power distribution for fpv rig or any other research or diy electronic project.

The Fc should be a lot smaller and roughly of 3 grams of weight.

another thought is to make the castellated holes for the USB port traces as well, at much smaller inner diameter.

With this, the fc would pretty much be an Ic alike, sorta.. plus you could place usb more conveniently for your design application.

so instead going to extremes, build in 5v bec or the ability to read battery voltage or osd or what not, the fc part would be cheap enough on its own while all it takes to implement it on another circuitry is a 5 minute soldering job and there's no limit what features you can add later and in what frame you could implement it in.

If it makes a sense at all, perhaps, I could make an image or two of the idea.

Anyway, sorry for all the talk, it's late at my end so hope it made sense haha

Best,
D.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:36:55 pm by Daxo »
Innovation Matters

Brian

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 12:02:36 am »
What you're looking for (I think) is something similar to the Inemo M1, but cheaper and based on CC3D sensors: http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/mems-and-sensors/inemo-inertial-modules/inemo-m1.html

I've had that idea as well, and even started designing something with the Inemo M1.

I think it's a good idea, and it probably wouldn't be too hard to do if one has access to Altuim, but if I was going to make those changes and produce a new board, I would be tempted to replace the F1 with an F3 and maybe update the sensors as well, and why not put on a pressure sensor, since it doesn't take much space.

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:03:42 pm »
For  Inemo M1, only Gyro and MCU are on SPI bus, everything else is I2C. Not sure if that is good.

Daxo

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 04:40:39 pm »
Brian,

That would really be something if we could update the cpu and sensors, tho, the cost is of concern.

Maybe for start it would be sufficient to update the cpu and modify it's motor/servo connection, I'm sure if interest would rise for such a practical fc design approach then the sky is the limit.

From just my point of view,

I really can't imagine that anyone bringing a new frame to the market would not consider to step up the game and offer integrated pdb with replaceable powerful enough 'integrated' FC. Plus, all the new possibilities in frame designing.

Not to mention all sort of cool projects one could do with it, kinda, arduino alike. Education and hobby.

Anyhow, will try not to bug you with all what could be done with it, but rather say, If you would consider doing this I would try to help in every way I can.

I cant and I wouldn't just ask of you to spend your time if you don't see the point in such end result, so I just hope you find the idea appealing enough.  ;)

Btw, F3 is supported by LP right? just making sure..

Best,
D.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 04:46:46 pm by Daxo »
Innovation Matters

hwh

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 06:33:25 pm »
...Btw, F3 is supported by LP right? just making sure.. ...
No, the F3 isn't currently supported in release or next.  It's planned to begin work on supporting it after the next release comes out.  The initial target will probably be a cc3d with the STM32F103 replaced by a STM32F303.

Daxo

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 08:03:01 am »
Hwh, thanks for the tip, will keep that in mind..

Been reading schematics and as an end user I see a lot of stuff I don't use such as ports which use few resistors as well.

Since I've been through this road before with no success, and not liking I don't know to do this stuff I've decided, next year time, I'm learning this stuff.

If the idea is worth something, it can serve as an inspiration to others more technically inclined that can take over from there. :)

Best,
D.
Innovation Matters