bgpate

Flight/power issues
« on: January 17, 2016, 06:01:29 am »
ok so I recently purchased an eachine racer 250 the full $300 package.  well of course ive had a few crashes and it seems after my last crash when I power up at approximately %30 power the quad starts to seem to loose power mid air but when I land it allows me to take off even the lights dim when im giving it this power it acts as if the batteries are extremely low but they are all full charged 6 different battery's to be exact. the are all fully charged when its doing this. does anybody know what the problem is or how to go about fixing it?

Re: Flight/power issues
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 06:57:31 am »
Does anything (ESC or motor) get really hot?  You could have damaged a motor or ESC if you are lucky (better than 6 lipos).  If it doesn't get hot, it is your batteries.  By the way, if it is hot enough to burn you it is way too hot to run that way.  ESC's should only get warm, and only from the BEC that powers your FC.  I actually like to make sure my motors can be held firmly after a normal flight.

Check for cracks or other weak places.  Rebalance props.  Check for vibration without props.

Lipos are like living things.  If you let them go dead even once they are not the same.  Twice and you may as well throw them away.  You can almost get away with it one time if you immediately recharge.  No you can't wait till you get home.  :(

Buy some of these and use them every time.  They watch individual cell voltages which is much better than just watching total voltage.  Adjustable alarm.  Set it on 3.6v and land immediately when the alarm goes off; or 3.7v and you have 15 seconds more or so.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-Lipo-Li-ion-Fe-Battery-Voltage-2IN1-TR-Tester-Low-Voltage-Buzzer-Alarm-CALA-/281835551727

You can find more sellers by searching:
8s lipo alarm
on eBay.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:02:36 am by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:49:17 pm »
I'm new to multirotors but been flying helis for a while, I echo with Cliff said!!

Have any of your lipo's puffed up or swollen? This is a sure indication thats its not happy. If they have I would strongly consider not using that battery any longer and safely disposing of it.
F450 Clone
EMax 2313 with generic 10x4.5 carbon fiber prop
DYS XM20A BLHeli mini 20A ESC
Revo with OPLink mini
3S 3300 nano-tech
Taranis XD9 Plus TX with X4R-SB RX

hwh

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:12:46 pm »
Looking at pictures of your quad on the web it looks as if the entire bottom plate is the power distribution board (PDB) and that the battery plugs into it. It seems unlikely to me that you have 6 bad batteries so I'd suspect a bad connection on the PDB or a small crack. Maybe the battery connector to PDB connection.  Or the wires between the PDB and other components. The high resistance that would cause would drop more and more voltage as current usage goes up.  Right after a failure the bad point would probably feel warm or hot.

bgpate

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 05:41:43 am »
Looking at pictures of your quad on the web it looks as if the entire bottom plate is the power distribution board (PDB) and that the battery plugs into it. It seems unlikely to me that you have 6 bad batteries so I'd suspect a bad connection on the PDB or a small crack. Maybe the battery connector to PDB connection.  Or the wires between the PDB and other components. The high resistance that would cause would drop more and more voltage as current usage goes up.  Right after a failure the bad point would probably feel warm or hot.
   ok so It seems to start running like this once it runs below 11.0v so I was a little curious so I overcharged an older battery to 12.1v (I know not a good idea) it gave me 6 mins run time any ideas??

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 07:02:37 am »
12.6v is full charge on a 3s lipo.(4.2v/cell) 11.0v still has some juice left and shouldn't cause any problems. 10.5v is starting to get close to land immediately. And 10.0 9.9v is falling from the sky and ruining a battery.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:07:35 am by NicholasDavid »
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

bgpate

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 10:07:11 am »
wow kinda feel like an idiot but relived at the same time. thank you much. I've  always had nitro cars and planes just got into quads. the batteries it came with are a bit small they are 1.5 could I possible run a 2.2 and what would be too much trying to get a handle understanding these batteries.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 02:08:15 pm »
1.5 or a 1500 mah battery usually gives around 4-6 min of flight time for most 250mm size quads. A 2.2 is just heavy. It may give longer flight times. Like say 7-8 min but you sacrifice performance and agility. A lot of guys run a 1300(1.3) to 1500(1.5) with an HD camera an a 1800(1.8) to 2200(2.2) without an HD camera to keep the weight the same weather they use an HD cam or not.
The cell count and the "C" rating are the most important.  Anything 3s (3 cells) is usually a good starting point for beginner flyers1.3(1300) - 2.2(2200) with a 35c discharge rating or higher should be adequate. There are a ton of LIPO battery videos on you tube that should give more information in a better, easier to understand format(video)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:14:55 pm by NicholasDavid »
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 03:58:21 am »
You really need a balancing LiPo charger too.  You shouldn't use a non-LiPo charger to charge LiPos.

RedSun

• fpv, UAV, RC car lipo battery
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 08:32:33 am »
You can choose a new fpv battery, 1.5 or a 1500 mah battery usually gives around 4-6 min of flight time for most 250mm size quads. A 2.2 is just heavy. on another way,You really need a balancing LiPo charger too.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:19:58 am by f5soh »