mookie

Yaw Control
« on: August 07, 2016, 11:43:13 am »
Was out flying last night and testing waypoints which worked really well.

Was Playing with with yaw control in VTOLPATHFOLLOWER Yaw Control.

The problem i have is that its a good idea to have the vehicle turn to path or movemment direction when in Pathfollower but not in Positionhold.
The question is: Is there any way of adding this to bank switching?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:46:22 am by mookie »

Re: Yaw Control
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 08:38:06 pm »
That yaw control that makes it yaw in the direction of flight is a little hazardous unless you set it up correctly.  It works OK for some GPS flight modes if you have your yaw rate response set fairly low (90?).

My worse experience with it was a while back (before the automatic head room in the throttle curve) on a quad that was a bit out of balance and had yaw rate response set fairly high.  When just hovering in PositionHold it has to move around to correct for drift, and when it does, it yaws hard, which caused further drift due to imbalance, etc.  It got worse and worse.  I had to switch to Attitude mode, land, and change it to not use that GPS yaw mode.

To answer your question, it could be moved into the banks so it would be selectable from one GPS mode to another.  The issues are whether it is useful to others (I think it might be), and getting someone interested enough to code it.  Are you a programmer?  It sounds like a good first project.  :)  A good first project is one that you are interested in enough to actually do!

mookie

Re: Yaw Control
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 07:37:18 pm »
Thanks for the info cliff,
i lowered the clamp to 60 deg/s and also lowered the aileron and elevator down to around 100 but that caused a slow response. kinda of like a boat in an ocean swell. May be it would be better to turn to waypoint and then move to the next wp.

unfortunately i'm not a coder i wish i was. These are ĵust some of my ideas after testing.

malc