KK-260 Black Widow - Rockets straight up!
« on: August 07, 2016, 05:18:59 pm »
I got a Hobby King KK-260 Black Widow and the esc's were pretty out of sync out of the box so I upgraded the cc3d to the latest LibrePilot and ran through the wizards. Using the vehicle wizard went smoothly but when I was done the motor's wouldn't all spin so I followed a tutorial I saw on manually calibrating the esc's. I seem to be having issues with that process because the first two times I did it only 1 motor would spin even though I had them all linked. On the third try they finally all started up at the same time but one odd thing is that the neutral point seemed much higher than it was when I went through the wizard. After saving my settings I unplugged everything and tested the motors without the props on and they seemed to spool up smoothly although they hit max throttle at only half stick. That seems too quick to me?

Anyway, I put the props on and went outside. I slowly spooled up and it seemed great but when it finally got enough speed to lift off instead of climbing smoothly it shot up like a rocket! I backed off the throttle just a hair and instead of slowing down it dropped like a stone. I brought it inside and took the props off and tried some testing and sure enough it seems like it slowly spools up then right before half stick it goes full throttle.

What am I doing wrong?

Second question, when setting up the quad what esc type do I choose? There is almost no information I can find on that quads esc's.

Re: KK-260 Black Widow - Rockets straight up!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:37:17 am »
There is a wiki article about calibrating ESCs.  I would do it the wiki way.  Set min to 1000 and max to 1900 and use PwmSync.  Make sure you set all the banks that are being used to PwmSync.  (output page)

One other thing that can cause rocketing up is excess vibration.  Replace or straighten bent shafts.  Balance and track your props.