Level calibration- on/off
« on: December 19, 2015, 03:54:28 pm »
Hello...
I have started using LibrePilot... sincear thanks to the developers

I have discovered that my quad (Eachine 250) needs a few seconds to calibrate the level when I power it up... EVEN though I have disabled this flag in LP.
If I move the quad during power up... then it flys like a man posessed and flips on take-off.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue?

Thanks
Ray

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Level calibration- on/off
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:47:41 pm »
Looks normal, if you move your quad when Gyro are in init state they act like a drunk sailor.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 05:54:58 pm »
Looks normal, if you move your quad when Gyro are in init state they act like a drunk sailor.

Even if I disable the option.. "perform level calibration on startup".

I thought that would stop any level calibration...

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 06:55:29 pm »
If you are using Basic and not INS13 (Configuration -> Attitude -> Settings -> Algorithm) then it WILL do a calibration sometime before flying, and the lights will blink fast then and you must not move it then.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:04:19 pm by TheOtherCliff »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 07:35:24 pm »
Board is a CC3D so algo used is complementary.

Even if I disable the option.. "perform level calibration on startup".
I thought that would stop any level calibration...

Level is stored onboard, no need to redo level at startup. This "level data" comes from Accelerometers.
Where do you see "perform level calibration on startup" ?
Are you talking about the "Zero gyros while arming aircraft" option ?
this option allow Gyros initialization while arming, the exact same procedure is done at power up when led are blinking fast.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 11:51:12 am »
Ah, ok understood....
My misunderstanding.

I thought "Arming" and "power up" were the same step, but when I think about it... they can't be.
So it always performs a gyro level on power up -> rapid blinking Blue Led.
But I have the option to also perform the gyro level at "Arming" (e.g. right yaw) with the "Zero gyros while arming aircraft" option.

Thanks for explaining this guys... I was being totally thick.

Ray

ArthurB

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 02:40:48 pm »
Hi,

I was looking for a conversation related to my problem in order to not make a clone topic, and I think I found it here, but still I'm not sure about the solution to my problem.
Like Raymo99 I uncheked the "zero gyros while arming the aircraft" box. And indeed it does the calibration at power-up anyway, because power-up and arming is not the same.

But then is there a solution to my problem? : in the Attitude tab in LP software, I did the calibration using a table that I adjusted to be perfectly horizontal using 2 spirit levels. But when I power-up the quad on a non-perfect surface (a forest for exemple), then it undoes every calibration that I made on the table...and it goes flying like a drunk sailor ^^
How can I "forbid" LP to redo the calibration at each power-up? Because right now it means I have to way no fly with well-calibrated gyros since I won't bring this table every time I want to fly...

Help?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:57:22 pm by ArthurB »

hwh

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 08:06:18 pm »
It won't fly right without the gyros being zeroed.  You're confusing calibrate and zero, calibrate you do inside on a level surface, zero is done outside just before flight.

Unless there's some reason you have to take off as soon as you arm and can't give it a few seconds to zero there's no reason not to have zero on arm checked.   With it off you need to keep the quad perfectly still as and after you connect the battery and that's difficult.

Drunken flying sounds like the quad is being moved while the gyro zero is occurring.

ArthurB

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 12:45:46 pm »
Ok maybe I moved without noticing...
I will plug the battery while the quad is on a tilted surface, but keeping it still, and I'll tell you if it flyes ok after.
Thanks!

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 05:30:23 am »
Both my CC3D's that have a DSM sattelite installed want to zero the gyro as soon as I plug the battery in. I've tried to uncheck the box several times. Tried different combinations of saving and rebooting. Have not been able to fix it. My other CC3D that have PWM in do not have this problem. Is this a know bug? Any work around? The way I fly my quad is to level it as I plug the battery, but this is a pain I the ass. I fly in self horizon mode, so when the level is off on the quad, flying it is difficult.

hwh

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 05:53:31 am »
Both my CC3D's that have a DSM sattelite installed want to zero the gyro as soon as I plug the battery in. ...
That's normal operation, ALL CC3Ds do that. It has nothing to do with what receiver is hooked up.

...I've tried to uncheck the box several times. Tried different combinations of saving and rebooting. Have not been able to fix it. My other CC3D that have PWM in do not have this problem. Is this a know bug? Any work around? The way I fly my quad is to level it as I plug the battery, but this is a pain I the ass. I fly in self horizon mode, so when the level is off on the quad, flying it is difficult.
There is no check box controlling zeroing on power up.  The only checkbox is the one that controls zeroing on arming and that one should be checked.

There's no need for a "work around" since there's no bug.  Your choice is to keep it level and still on battery connection or use zero on arm.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:34:18 pm by hwh »

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 02:48:34 pm »
On all my other CC3D I can connect the battery with the quad upside down. I can put it on the grass side-ways. Arm the quad in whatever position I want. I throttle up and the quad self levels perfectly. I recently changed from PWM receiver to a DSM satellite on the flexi-port and I've got to hold the quad level while installing the battery. I then have to continue to hold the quad level when I arm the quad. That's the only way I can get the quad to fly level. Help me understand how this is not a software bug.

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 03:02:24 pm »
It won't fly right without the gyros being zeroed.  You're confusing calibrate and zero, calibrate you do inside on a level surface, zero is done outside just before flight.

Unless there's some reason you have to take off as soon as you arm and can't give it a few seconds to zero there's no reason not to have zero on arm checked.   With it off you need to keep the quad perfectly still as and after you connect the battery and that's difficult.

Drunken flying sounds like the quad is being moved while the gyro zero is occurring.

Wow - thanks so much for this explanation!  I incorrectly thought that checkbox meant it was calibrating on arm and that it had to be perfectly level.  I often don't arm on level ground so I unchecked it - whoops! :)

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 03:42:00 pm »
Sweet baby Jesus!!! Thanks for the explanation. I finally get it. I had it all backwards in my head.