kennyevo

Inflated (faulty?) lipo battery question!
« on: July 15, 2016, 10:57:19 am »
Hi!

I have a 3S 1500mah lpo battery which is inflated a little, is it safe to use, or I should buy a new one as soon as I can? (I'll attach photos soon)

Re: Inflated (faulty?) lipo battery question!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 11:10:30 am »
If it's just a little, it should still be ok to fly, but keep an eye on it, if it gets worse, maybe you're overloading it.
Storing it in a safe place is a good idea as is for any LiPO.

I have a pack that is starting to look like a baloon, which I use for testing, but for flying it lasts about a minute than it craps out, not being able to provide enough current.

12many

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 08:04:08 am »
This is referred to as 'Lipo Puff'.  Some batteries are notorious for getting a little puff with no abuse (Example:  Turnigy nano-tech), but other times it's a sign of improper use.  Like many, I learned the hard way that Lipos can be temperamental and last a lot longer when carefully cared for.  Some general suggestions:

1. Get a lipo alarm and use it when flying.  For 3S set to beep at 11.1V and don't discharge your batteries past that.
2. Don't store lipo batteries charged or discharged but in-between - use your charger's storage-voltage setting if storing for more than a few days.  (In a lipo bag or similar of course) 
3. Don't overload your batteries.  Understand 'C' ratings and how they apply to your battery/load situation.  If your batteries are more than a little warm after flight something might be wrong.

Following these basic rules your batteries should last for many, many flights.  My first battery was dead in a month before I learned the basics.  Nowadays my batteries seem to last virtually forever.

kennyevo

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 02:42:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions!

I have an imax b6 from aliexpress, but it seems faulty.... When I start balance charge it turns off and on. And this is already a replacement :D
Do you guys know a good source and a not too expensive charger with balance and storage function which is capable of charging a 5000mah lipo?

al

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 03:32:15 pm »
Just an idea...
The B6 requires 12V DC input, correct? Could you be overloading your DC source?
BR Andre

startrek66

• F330+Revo
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:22:12 am »
Mounting on quad a lipo monitor with buzzer and set it for 3.6v.

Inviato dal mio SM-G800F utilizzando Tapatalk

kennyevo

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 11:00:51 pm »
Just an idea...
The B6 requires 12V DC input, correct? Could you be overloading your DC source?
BR Andre

I'm using the power adapter that was packaged with the charger:
imax ac power adaptor
model: IF-E1510
input: 100-240V~1.6A 50/60Hz
Output: 12V 5A

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 11:54:08 pm »
My guess would also be the power adapters protection circuits kicking in and shutting it down due to high current and/or temperature.

I had it happen to one of my old laptop power supplies, that it shut down due to me asking a bit much of it, while charging a big ass LiPO of course.

The good news is, that you seem to have a decent quality power supply, which shuts it self down instead burning it self to the innermost circle of hell :D

You can also try to power the charger from a car battery, see if it turns off on a power supply that can provide about 500A of current if asked nicely ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:57:43 pm by nitromethane »

12many

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 03:47:45 am »
If your battery is in an over-discharged condition your charger may refuse to charge it.

If this is the situation, some folks do ugly tricks to fool the charger into charging and you might be able to nurse your battery back to health that way, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Battery failure is a major cause of crashes.  Better to invest a bit more on a decent battery & charger than learn that lesson the hard way.  Take good care of new equipment and it will take care of you (and last a long time).

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 07:42:10 pm »
Search ebay for
8s lipo alarm
sort by price+shipping lowest first
about $1.50
adjustable
loud

Set them about 3.6v (per cell) and land immediately when the alarm sounds.

kennyevo

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 09:43:05 pm »
Search ebay for
8s lipo alarm
sort by price+shipping lowest first
about $1.50
adjustable
loud

Set them about 3.6v (per cell) and land immediately when the alarm sounds.

kennyevo

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 04:15:01 pm »
Small update:
1 cell has 0.0V and the other two has 4.4V, I know they should be only 4.2V.
Is it possible that the 0V cell is damaged and not "just" discharged?

Also, could you show me some good (but not 100$) chargers? My biggest battery is a 3s 5000mah one.
Thanks!

Mateusz

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 04:41:04 pm »
Small update:
1 cell has 0.0V and the other two has 4.4V, I know they should be only 4.2V.
Is it possible that the 0V cell is damaged and not "just" discharged?

Also, could you show me some good (but not 100$) chargers? My biggest battery is a 3s 5000mah one.
Thanks!

If your battery is 3S (3 cells). One cell is dead and damaged, you can't recover from 0V. Maybe you could from 2-3V with some luck, but not from 0. It's completely dead, dont even try.
Other being 4.4V seems like overcharged or typing error ? I didn't know this is even possible, but for sure overcharging is dangerous and cells my explode due to building up pressure.
Have you been trying to recover 0V dead cell and charged your battery without limiting voltages (i.e NiH.. mode) ? Anyhow, take battery to disposal place, don't use it. You may also set your charger first to discharge, to make disposing it a bit safer.

I use Accucel chargers, which have modes: storage, discharge, resistance tester, balancer, fast charge, normal charge and support multiple type of batteries.

kennyevo

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 09:18:47 pm »
No typing error, it's 4.4V :D
Accucel-8 costs 75€ from hobbyking with shipping, is that a good price?

Mateusz

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 09:41:47 pm »
Nope, I use two of those

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__64345__Turnigy_Accucel_6_80W_10A_Balancer_Charger_LiHV_Capable.html
with this PSU
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25283__HobbyKing_105w_7A_Compact_Power_Supply_100v_240v_.html

There are also other interesting options (I can't recommend since I didn't try) and because of price at this moment personally I would rather buy few more Accucel
Some time ago I was looking at SkyRC
http://www.banggood.com/SkyRC-Q200-QUATTRO-ACDC-2X100W-2X50W-Lipo-Battery-Balance-Charger-Discharger-p-1059167.html

Though, too expensive for me :)