Mayftw

Problem with Throttle stick
« on: June 14, 2016, 10:41:59 pm »
Hello there LibrePilot community. I have a problem with configuration of my quadcopter. Whenever I move up the throttle stick on my remote and keep it in the same place, the drone just keeps gaining power. I mean, I could be wrong, but I believe this is not a normal behaviour? Is there any way I can make it so the throttle level stays constant if I don't move the stick? I tried to look for the answer but I can't put it in words. I also searched through the different settings in librepilot and my esc settings.

Components I am using:
CC3D Evo Flight Controller
Flysky FS-i6S 2.4G Remote
ABC-Power Air 15A ESC

These are settings I am using:
http://puu.sh/psOqU/28ee23c082.png
http://puu.sh/psOz3/e9c7463bbf.png
I have intentionally reduced the maximum throttle on the curve.

hwh

Re: Problem with Throttle stick
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:06:12 pm »
Are you saying it keeps speeding up in the air or on the ground?

On the ground armed with the throttle above zero but too low to fly it will continue speeding up the motors until it takes off.  Minor variations in the sensor outputs make it want to try to respond and it keeps speeding up the motors because the copter isn't moving.

Mayftw

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:17:41 pm »
Yes this is the answer to my question. The drone is indeed on the ground. I noticed this behaviour and was afraid to launch my quad because of that - I didn't want to break anything. Thanks for help, is there any place I could get similar information from? I would love to get into optimizing my PID.

hwh

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 11:39:01 pm »
I don't think the speeding up on the ground is mentioned anywhere but here in the forums but most information and tutorials are in the wiki at https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/User+Manual

Some of it takes you through all the screens and "howto", "advanced features", and "advanced tuning" have a lot of information in them about hooking things up and tuning.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 06:00:23 pm »
When on the ground it is not perfectly level.  It tries to make it level, but there is not enough power to lift the low arm.
The PID I term says try harder and harder until it is level.
It doesn't do this in the air because a small amount of change does change the leveling.

One last important thing, if you let it wind up a long time, then when it is in the air it will take a long time to unwind and so it will flip over when you take off.  The rule you should use is "take off as soon as (like within a second or two) your motors start to turn".  Generally speaking that also means make it jump up off the ground instead of slowly adding power.  "Jump up to knee high" is a good take off strategy.

Leave your expensive camera and gimbal and FPV (including antennas) off of the copter if you are unsure of your abilities.  Don't let it get higher than your waist.  Cut the throttle and let if fall before it gets into a bad situation.  A cut throttle fall from waist high onto grass usually won't hurt anything if you removed the expensive, fragile components.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 08:04:54 am »
Is there an idle mode?  Arm the motors get them running, but at low speed, and just sit until you are ready?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 12:09:05 pm »
Config > Output tab > check "Motor spin at neutral while armed"

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 04:06:15 pm »
Thank you!