Re: Oplink radio and taranis telemetry
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 03:12:30 am »
ok after much more thinking... (hold on everyone I've been drone nerding and drinking mountain dew for days now)

I am using a taranis x9D with an internal oplink radio to control my drone... can I output telemetry to the taranis (directly or through some kind of converter) from the oplink, then display the data on the taranis with a custom Lua script?

it would be nice even if we just got the little box with the auto, sensr, io, pwr, sys and some gps data.

xfce

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 05:15:14 pm »
The OPLink and the GPS flight modes are what sold me on Librepilot. The OPLink needs to support full s.bus, and Smart port natively. But instead of trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole, why not build a new OPLink module specifically to cater to FrSky community?

Are you talking about a Taranis module?  I might actually do that for myself.  It's really not hard to do, and I've made several other iterations of OPLink-like devices, but getting it manufactured is more difficult.

There has also been discussions about replacing the F1 MCU on the existing OPLink with an F3, which supports inverted UART natively.  That would likely be an easier route because the F3 is pretty much a drop-in replacement for the F1, and we might be able to nudge the manufacturers to replace the F1 with an F3.
if you want to manufacture,i would like to help

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 02:03:59 am »
the taranis has 5 pins in the back, from top to bottom:
-PPM
-6V
-+Batt
-Ground
-Ant

When connected to the OPlink for control you connect to the PPM port, is the antenna port free for telemetry output from the OPlink. A LUA script should be able to be written to do the telemetry on the Taranis, or use a teensey like the PixHawk's can to translate the telemetry for the taranis...

the module can be printed from thingiverse and we are off to the races!

Also can we get these in 915mhz? or am I on my own swapping the radio modules myself?

hwh

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 06:09:01 am »
...Also can we get these in 915mhz? or am I on my own swapping the radio modules myself? 
Swapping the modules won't do any good unless you also rewrite the firmware, it's coded for 430MHz.

I picked up a couple of 915 MHz RFM-22b modules but I don't expect to get around to doing anything with them for a few months.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 11:08:50 pm »
well crap

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 12:43:00 am »
ok so new question,

can I just use an s.bus inverter (http://www.dx.com/p/signal-inverter-for-naze32-flight-control-sbus-receiver-black-429018#.V74QcY-cHb1) an output the telemetry to the sensor port on a D4R-ii or X4R just like it was frsky telemetry module?

hwh

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 02:45:45 am »
No, the it's not just the inverter, the telemetry output is in uavtalk format not frsky.

Supporting frsky telemetry is being worked on under issue https://librepilot.atlassian.net/browse/LP-117 but it's not currently supported.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 03:00:02 am »
I wish I would have stuck with programming way back in the day so I could be of some help.

I feel like a nag some times. I hope the frsky telemetry comes soon.

Mateusz

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 02:22:11 pm »
I wish I would have stuck with programming way back in the day so I could be of some help.
I feel like a nag some times. I hope the frsky telemetry comes soon.

To be honest I am not so much worried about FrSky telemetry. Of course it is a nice gadget to have, but I am not sure where I would use it.
If you fly LOS then you are definitely not flying that far that you don't hear battery alarm. If you fly FPV then you do have your battery voltage and sensor on OSD almost for sure.
When it comes to loggin stuff, there is either GCS, on-board logging or Android app. I see really no issue here :) And FrSky telemetry just don't record all what you can record in OPL files.

I think I am good with what I have and fine without FrSky. When it comes I will probably play with it, but disable later, as I prefer my battery status on OSD :)

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 04:06:53 am »
I still think it would be nice to have.