Is ESC calibration really necessary ?
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:16:01 pm »
SimonK firmware has for example pre-calibrated endpoints between 1060 and 1860us.
If you manually tweak the sliders and values in output tab isn't that sufficient ?
Since Firmware is already aware of the min and max pulse widths it gets from the
receiver (through receiver setup wizard) , won't that be automatically mapped to
min and max settings in the output tab ?

12many

Re: Is ESC calibration really necessary ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 07:38:36 am »
I'm no expert, but in my opinion although in a strict sense I think you're correct, you're making unnecessary assumptions that may not be 100% correct.  Example, you're assuming FC and ESCs have closely matching clocks.  They're probably close enough to not matter much but on the other hand it only takes a few minutes to run through the ESC calibration procedure, so I'd suggest you do it.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:23:51 pm »
Agreed, super quick and easy to do. Why wouldn't you do it real quick
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 12:23:17 pm »
OK, point taken  ;) , thank you for the feedback  8)

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 02:21:44 pm »
There is a lot of confusion on this topic.

Here is a quote from SIMONK on RC Groups forum on this subject:

"Hmm, I'm not sure what software they are actually using there, but I think in general, it's perhaps easier to just set the min/max on the flight controller than to try to go through and calibrate all of the ESCs. Calibration is fine, though, and it should work if you do them all the same -- but calibration in itself is not a precise process, since it has to inject margins to deal with what normally calibration was used for: deviations in oscillator speeds with temperature, stickiness in the sticks or trim, etc.

If it is using my stock endpoints, I usually just use something like this (naze32):
set minthrottle=1064
set maxthrottle=1864"

If you look at the SimonK firmware flowchart it doesn't even support calibration unless it detects PWM input mode. If you use Oneshot125 it uses the stock endpoints.
Q450
Revolution

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:23:42 am »
If it is using my stock endpoints, I usually just use something like this (naze32):
set minthrottle=1064
set maxthrottle=1864"
That's why I asked at the first place. I thought it would be sufficient
to set output tab limits between 1060 and 1860 and live with that.
(I've tried it anyway, all motors spin stable at around 1110)

If you look at the SimonK firmware flowchart it doesn't even support calibration unless it detects PWM input mode. If you use Oneshot125 it uses the stock endpoints.
Does this apply to PWMSync ? (I guess it should since PWMsyns is...PWM  8) )