Re: Revolution software bricked?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 05:38:47 pm »
//Update

Revo has two flash chips:
- STM32F405 is the main micro-controller 1Mb flash
- SPI flash for storing logs and configuration 2Mb flash

Revo has two bootloaders

[ STM32 Bootloader ] [ LP or TL bootloadr] [ LP or TL Firmware]

STM32 Bootloader you have access to when you short SBL pads and that can brick board if you flash wrong firmware.
Second bootloader is safe and can only boot firmware that matches it (LP boots LP, TL boots TL).

You have also different images of firmware
EF = Entire flash (LP bootloader + LP firmware)
BU = Bootloader updater (LP program that goes in place of firmware and flashes LP bootloader if it boots).
BF = Bootloader firmware (actuall LP bootloader alone)
FW = Firmware (actuall firmware alone)

1) Make sure your STM32 flash has correct images loaded up by using SBL method to flash ef*.bin image.
This makes sure both firmware and bootloader are right and compatible (less complicated way).
I am saying this because I don't know if TL bootloader will actually boot LP bu image. So just easiest is to use EF and done.

2) Revo has watchdog that reboots board if something fails or times-out on initialization. This can be flash or sensor.
Sensor you checked that all work and return values (mag, baro, accel, gyro). So what's left is SPI flash.
SPI flash may have different format for LP and TL. If TL have written to it, or when you were connecting battery you could have touched flash and cause electrostatic discharge (guessing) which could corrupt flash (potentially bad block).
In that case you need to flash ressurection image https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=208.0 to fix the potential problem.

There is a reason why Revo cycles, it cant initialize due to something failing. I hope providing this level of detail is helpful for you in figuring out what's wrong.
Everything you've mentioned I'm sure I've done except to do the ef flash from LibrePilot. Trying to flash the ef from the all_fw1509 zip but it's corrupt. Is there anywhere to download the ef file for the Revolution?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Mateusz

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 05:53:49 pm »
Everything you've mentioned I'm sure I've done except to do the ef flash from LibrePilot. Trying to flash the ef from the all_fw1509 zip but it's corrupt. Is there anywhere to download the ef file for the Revolution?

You started by saying "was working .... with several hundred flights using a Next release".
That means you have actually compiled next branch of LibrePilot yourself. Since GCS must match firmware, that is to talk the same UAV objects as firmware does, it is normally compiled with GCS and is located in path
Code: [Select]
librepilot.git/build/firmware/ef_revolution/ef_revolution.bin

Then you provide path for dfu-util and using SBL flash it
dfu-util  -d  0483:df11  -c  1  -i  0  -a  0  -D  librepilot.git/build/firmware/ef_revolution/ef_revolution.bin -s  0x08000000

This assures your firmware (fw) and bootloader (bf) are matching together and correct. This step may not help with your particular problem, it is just to ensure you have the correct bootloader and firmware that should work under normal circumstances, when everything else is right.
To actually fix potential corruption in SPI flash, you need to flash with GCS resurrect image for Revo, but to be even able to do that, you must be sure you have the right bootloader that will boot it, hence step above is a way of ensuring it.

Hope it helps...

DOm007

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 05:06:22 pm »

You started by saying "was working .... with several hundred flights using a Next release".
That means you have actually compiled next branch of LibrePilot yourself. Since GCS must match firmware, that is to talk the same UAV objects as firmware does, it is normally compiled with GCS and is located in path
librepilot.git/build/firmware/ef_revolution/ef_revolution.bin

Then you provide path for dfu-util and using SBL flash it
dfu-util  -d  0483:df11  -c  1  -i  0  -a  0  -D  librepilot.git/build/firmware/ef_revolution/ef_revolution.bin -s  0x08000000

This assures your firmware (fw) and bootloader (bf) are matching together and correct. This step may not help with your particular problem, it is just to ensure you have the correct bootloader and firmware that should work under normal circumstances, when everything else is right.
To actually fix potential corruption in SPI flash, you need to flash with GCS resurrect image for Revo, but to be even able to do that, you must be sure you have the right bootloader that will boot it, hence step above is a way of ensuring it.

Hope it helps...
I scowling don't know how to compile LP. I used a next version another member had compiled. I have read and researched about compiling LP, but in all honesty I couldn't understand it. Though it is detailed and informative that I'm sure most people with some computer knowledge could do it I'm just not one of those people unfortunately when it comes to programming.

hwh

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 05:22:44 pm »
Have you tried the batch file recovery procedure in the wiki? https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Recover+board+using+DFU  it includes not only the software but the firmware images all in one zip file.  It eliminates having to type long command and parameters (I always mistype something the first time) and insures you have all compatible firmwares.

DOm007

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 05:56:47 pm »
Have you tried the batch file recovery procedure in the wiki? https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Recover+board+using+DFU  it includes not only the software but the firmware images all in one zip file.  It eliminates having to type long command and parameters (I always mistype something the first time) and insures you have all compatible firmwares.
Yes, I have tried shorting the SBL pad and flashing the files trying both 1 and 2 and then trying the resurrection file.

hwh

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 06:30:57 pm »
Reading back through the thread it looks like everything that would recover a board that just has bad firmware has been suggested by someone or you've posted that you've already done it.  If none of them worked the board is probably bad.  It's rare but boards do just die occasionally.

I'd suggest just getting another board.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 09:01:10 pm »
Then I flash the 1509 resurrection and boot. It then goes through the bootloader cycle. And the same if I try and do the erase it just cycles.

When you say that it just cycles what do you mean?  The blue LED is on solid for about 7 seconds goes dark (repeat)?
That is a sign that it needs to run resurrection firmware.  Maybe the one you tried doesn't fix it.  I suggest that you try other Revo resurrection firmwares from that bricking thread.

If you find that one of the firmwares works and the other one doesn't, please post (here and there) so we can all learn.

QC102

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 03:24:58 am »
Hi All.....hope  you can excuse me going a bit OT - but... I somehow pulled the black wire out of the  plastic connector - Revolution Mini - if anybody as a totally dead one -  any chance I  can  buy the cables??   
If this is OT and out of order - pleae mods- delete and I will create a new post.