Swapping CC3D FC from one drone to another
« on: June 14, 2016, 04:44:45 pm »
So I have another question. Drone is a Robocat 270, DYS 2205 2750kv motors, ubad angry beast 30a esc, flycat 270 power board, cc3d FC and frsky receiver. I directly swapped the FC and receiver from another robocat that has emax 2204 2300kv motors, wst 12A esc. The new robocat will not fly with the swapped parts, it immediately flips over. I checked motor rotation and prop direction, all correct. Now if I take the props off it will throttle up to full power, but if you lift the drone off the table and the gyro kicks in it oscillates violently, the harder you hold it, the harder it oscillates. If I put the FC and receiver back on the old robocat it'll fly fine, just not on the new setup. So does the flight controller need to be calibrated on the specific motors its running? It looks like the PID settings are too high, but it works fine on the original drone, just not the new one. So does the old FC need to be recalibrated to the new drone, or ill get another CC3D to put in it.

hwh

Re: Swapping CC3D FC from one drone to another
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:21:11 pm »
It really should be calibrated to each copter.  The motors and ESCs may respond or be calibrated a little differently.  Even on identical equipment.

You can save the current settings using file->export uav settings and load them back in using file->import uav settings.  Just save the current settings as copter1.uav, rerun the wizards in the new copter, get it working the way you want, and save them as copter2.uav.   When you want to switch frames just load the appropriate settings file into the cc3d.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 02:26:05 am »
Havent had a chance to program the controller yet, but Ill check it and see what happens. Thanks

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:57:28 pm »
By the looks of it the wst 12A esc are old ESC that might not even have oneshot and you moved the board from a machine running on oneshot ESCs. its a wonder you didn't burn the 12A ESCs if you had the wrong kind on the output configs.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 06:45:25 pm »
So another question. On the motor output page the minimum is set at 1000, neutral is 1040 and max is 2000. What if you change the max setting and how high can it go? 250 quadcopter.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 06:48:27 pm »
The esc says oneshot on them and I have it enabled on the FC, I have never hooked them up to a bootloader to see if its inabled, I assumed it was. Only time I burned them out was with a 6 inch prop and a 4s battery, too many amps for the little 12amp esc.

hwh

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 07:00:23 pm »
There's no purpose to changing it higher, it's not a speed it's a signal pulse width.  It you changed it to a higher number you'd have to recalibrate the ESCs and they'd take the higher number as full speed if they'd work at all.   Around 1000 and 2000 are what they were designed for.  I'm not sure what if any limit the GCS software imposes on what you can enter.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 07:04:54 pm »
Gui limit the high value to 2500. Range is 500 - 2500
Same as Hank, whats the purpose ?

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 07:28:13 pm »
Was just curious if different motors needed different settings. The issue is that I have 2 quads that have the same esc, FC, props, battery, and receiver. The differences are the brand of motors, one is a zmr250 with wst 2204 2300 motors, and the other is a robocat 270 with emax 2204 2300 motors. The zmr is blisteringly fast but the robocat is slow in comparison, the motors don't scream the same way as the zmr and all the settings are the same. it seems like full throttle isn't the same. Props are 5050 3 blade gemfans and they are the fastest ive flown. Is it just the motors or do I have a setting off somewhere. Both should be set up identical except for the stock pid's. I know the robo might be slightly heavier but enough to make that big of a difference?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 07:47:04 pm »
Motor settings Min/max just need to match the calibration you did.

Weight, motor quality can affect thrust.

Moved to original thread

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 08:40:39 pm »
Was just curious if different motors needed different settings. The issue is that I have 2 quads that have the same esc, FC, props, battery, and receiver. The differences are the brand of motors, one is a zmr250 with wst 2204 2300 motors, and the other is a robocat 270 with emax 2204 2300 motors. The zmr is blisteringly fast but the robocat is slow in comparison, the motors don't scream the same way as the zmr and all the settings are the same. it seems like full throttle isn't the same. Props are 5050 3 blade gemfans and they are the fastest ive flown. Is it just the motors or do I have a setting off somewhere. Both should be set up identical except for the stock pid's. I know the robo might be slightly heavier but enough to make that big of a difference?

If you are running the exact same settings in both quads then it sounds like the same size, different brand motors are not as powerful, but there are other possible reasons.  Battery, vibration, ESC brand/firmware, ESC calibration, one bad motor ... probably more.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 10:26:54 pm »
Yes everything is the same, the tuning may be different, the zmr has the tuning listed for the zmr250, the robocat has the generic xquad settings. Not sure if that could be it, everything else is the same excep for motors, I figured the emax would be faster

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 07:41:21 pm »
Try the good battery in the weak quad for a test.

There another thing that can cause motors to run slow.  I have started calling it "invisible oscillation".  It causes the throttle stick to go towards 50%.  That means that a small amount of throttle is closer to 50% so the motors basically get closer to 50% at low throttle.  Motors also don't get all the way to full power since at full power they get dragged down toward 50%.  GyroTau fixes the issue, but makes it slower to respond and requires lower PIDs.  You could set GyroTau (Stabilization->Expert->GyroNoiseFiltering) to max (0.020), and use PIDs that are say 75% of what you normally use for a test to see if the power comes back.

One way to test if you have this problem requires you to run it at full power in your hand with props on.  I'm not recommending that you do this unless you are comfortable with that.  Props must be on because this issue is caused by vibration.  First, test it with the transmitter (Rate mode is probably easier to man-handle than Attitude).  Feel how much lift it has.  Then disarm and connect GCS, go to motor output tab, link all your motors (right side column), run the sliders down to min, select test output check box.  Now while holding the quad firmly, slowly (for safety) run the linked sliders up to full power and back down.  If there was significantly more power with GCS than with transmitter, you probably have this issue.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 03:38:25 pm »
OK, back at it again. Swapped the cc3d and reciever out of a perfectly working robocat into a brand new robocat. Ran through the setup wizard, sbus, one shot, selected. Angry beast 30a ESC, dys 2205 2750kv motors. Generic xquad tuning. Still the same issue. If you spool it up on a flat surface it spins up fine, the instant it comes off the surface it violently oscilates, and flips over if I try to fly it. I lowered the pid by 100 points and the oscillations went down a little but still oscilates and flips over. The only difference is the esc's and motors. I've checked everything I can think of, any ideas? Pid still to high? P is at 200, I is 400 I think at the moment. Anything in the ESC settings, do I need to lower the pid more? I'll recheck motor direction but I'm pretty sure they are correct.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 04:20:59 pm »
Check the board orientation and what value you set in Attitude > Virtual Rotation

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/CC+Attitude+Configuration