Jhinta

Universal telemetry converter
« on: June 01, 2016, 07:39:06 pm »
So we are using uavtalk for telemetry.
But when you have a other type of tx you cant get telemetry on your unit (TX).
So i started looking for what has been done and what's available.
To my surprise no one is making a module that simply does a conversion and directly send it to tx-telemetry.
They all are telemetry modules with the option to add sensors (but the mainboard already supplies that info)

So started to look deeper ( for rev, having a DX18+revo)
1 revo talks uavtalk
2 DX18 talks dsm
3 needed rfchip CYRF6936 (or one that works)
4 needs soc, arduino type soc
5 source code - > dsm already known, uavtalk also known

So what you get is:
uavtalk (or any) out-> soc ->internal conversion to needed protocal -> output to rf -> tx-telemetry recever

So it's really possible, wish i had coding skills i could have build that (well i can build it, just not code it :P)

So can some one build somthing like this -> which also add support for all other (just simple app where we can choose in and out protocol, even optional rf module to add support for other TX's)
or even a already done hardware just, rewright of code.

What do you think, and for the coders,  ;D start coding  :P
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:19:45 pm by Jhinta »

hwh

Re: Universal telemetry converter
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 10:53:20 pm »
Probably not likely to get done for several reasons.  The first is cost, if you build a transmitter based on a chip like that it has to be tested by a lab and certified to be legal to operate in the EU or US.  And probably most of the rest of the world.  And there's really no need to do it since DSM telemetry transmitters (aircraft side receivers that send telemetry back to the transmitter on the ground) are commercially available.

A better solution would be to just create a LP module that sends whatever format telemetry the receivers the DX18 normally uses require or if necessary a tiny conversion board.  However that's unlikely to be done because it requires the developer to own and use a DX18 and compatible receiver.  They're too expensive, it would cost around $900 US to buy.

Jhinta

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:44:03 am »
Probably not likely to get done for several reasons.  The first is cost, if you build a transmitter based on a chip like that it has to be tested by a lab and certified to be legal to operate in the EU or US.  And probably most of the rest of the world.  And there's really no need to do it since DSM telemetry transmitters (aircraft side receivers that send telemetry back to the transmitter on the ground) are commercially available.

A better solution would be to just create a LP module that sends whatever format telemetry the receivers the DX18 normally uses require or if necessary a tiny conversion board.  However that's unlikely to be done because it requires the developer to own and use a DX18 and compatible receiver.  They're too expensive, it would cost around $900 US to buy.

iets not that you need a dx18 you can use a 6,8 etc also dx18 is just 1 of the xxx type and brands
and there a lot of modules already available, that more or less do the same, the only thing they have dfferent is that they use sensor input where you could just have serial input coversion en send,
you could even transform a lemon-rx telemetry to do just that (if speed alows that bitrate/cpuspeed etc) its noting more then a soc and rf-chip and there are even more powerfull modules out there.
but they all depent on sensor input , even the opensource hardware wy no serial input?
and to build it, cost less then 30 euro or somthing is the same as a dsmx sat

ex:
http://www.finistrc.fr/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=402&start=10
this is just a rf with a atmel and some smd , thats it
And about restriction, 2.4ghz is free to use, here, i'm guessing that it also elsewhere as long as you don't over power (~100 mw or something like that)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:16:30 am by Jhinta »

hwh

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 06:42:54 am »
Even with the less expensive models, no developer is going to go out and buy Spektrum equipment to program telemetry for it.  And even if Spektrum offered to give a developer the equipment I'm not sure anyone would be interested enough to program it.  If they did it's unlikely that they'd build a transmitter, a lot of the Spektrum receivers (and the compatibles) already have connections to send telemetry back to the transmitter.  An Arduino mini pro could probably handle the conversion.

I've seen the little transmitter modules they're playing with over at RCG.  In fact I have one of Pawelski's RF24L01/Arduino ones.

...And about restriction, 2.4ghz is free to use, here, i'm guessing that it also elsewhere as long as you don't over power (~100 mw or something like that)
It's not "free to use" anywhere, it's "unlicensed".  There's a big difference.  The operator doesn't need a license but equipment used still has to be certified by a lab as meeting the technical requirements.  That's why most people use the modules instead of individual chips. The only exception is amateur radio operators transmitting under their licenses.