hwh

Re: How to configure a custom airframe type?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 01:18:09 am »
I'd forgotten the other thread, I've merged both of them here. 

Cliff's post is now out of place in the combined thread since the post he was answering is now near the top of the this thread.

I thought I had posted the paparazziuav link but looking back I never did, thanks Cliff.

-Hank
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:31:26 am by hwh »

12many

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 04:36:09 am »
Good news - I got things working, or at least made some progress...  I'm not sure what the problem was - probably too much hacking directly on the configuration files.  (?)

I reset everything, ran through the configuration wizard, plugged in my calculated manual mixer settings, reset output min/max and things are working...

Well, actually not all the motors I spot-tested are spinning even though I had pre-tested motors & esc's using a servo control, but at least the output  sliders are moving in test mode.  It's probably bad solder joints on the FlexIO port to Servo/ESC adapter plug I made some time ago.  Time to ring out the adapter connections and maybe look at the PWM output signals on the oscilloscope.  That should pin it down.

Thanks again for all of your help.

hwh

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 06:06:03 am »
I'm glad things are working for you now.  I learned a fair amount about setting up more than 8 motors during this thread.

I left the Jira issue open but revised it to a low priority improvement to add support for greater than 8 motors to the GUI.

12many

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 03:25:57 am »
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a non-standard multirotor airframe that has greater than 6 motors using the Flexi-IO port for PWM output to control motors 7-12.  When I use the GCS Configuration / Outputs page in 'test outputs' mode, I'm not seeing the PWM signal on the Flexi-IO port change like it should as I move the sliders.  The signal appears locked at 1000µS (PWM zero-throttle) pulse width.  What am I doing wrong?

Details:
Hardware:  OP Revolution (kickstarter edition)
  Receiver Port set to 'Outputs'
  Flexi Port set to 'DSM'
  Main Port set to 'GPS'

Vehicle type is Custom (via System->SystemSettings/AirframeType=Custom).
Channels 1-12 set to 'Motor' and custom mixer settings entered in vehicle / custom / mixer table.
Channels 1-12 set to PWMSync, min=1000, max=1900 and 'test outputs' is checked on configuration / outputs page.

Using a digital oscilloscope, I see the expected PWM output signal on servo / ESC output header pins (motors 1-6) and pulse width varies from 1000µS to 1900µS as expected as I drag the associated output slider up and down.  So far so good.

However, when I perform the same throttle output test on the Flexi-IO (aka Receiver Port) outputs, I see a 1000µS pulse width square-wave but the width doesn't vary as expected as I increase the slider.  I.e. motors 7-12 are stuck at zero throttle.  I've tried setting all channels to 'link' to eliminate the possibility I'm not adjusting the correct channel but get the same result no matter which channel (7-12) I monitor.

Am I doing something wrong?  My assumption is that at least 8-motor multirotor configurations have been tested before and that I'm doing something wrong.

Any help on how to get outputs 7-12 working would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
-Dave

12many

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 03:29:30 am »
FYI I started a new thread here https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=1889.0 which is sort of a continuation of my custom vehicle configuration issues.  It seemed appropriate to start a new thread since it appears to be a somewhat different problem.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 07:47:28 am »
Try import this UAV file

Moved to original thread, same topic ?

12many

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 07:27:28 am »
Thanks for posting that .UAV file, @f5soh.  It was a big help.

I exported my current settings, then imported all_outputs.uav and tested.  Sure enough, I observed correct outputs on all six Flexi-IO ports.

So I then merged the values from all_outputs.uav to my exported .uav file and imported that and it works as well.  Then I proceeded to overlay your settings with my original settings, testing at every step.  The odd thing is that I ended up with similar (but not exactly identical) settings including enabling PWMSync and everything works fine.  Perhaps this is more user-error; I doubt it but can't otherwise explain the behavior I saw.

One merge conflict I'm not certain how to resolve:  MixerValueRoll, MixerValuePitch, & MixerValueYaw were set to 50 but all_outputs.uav sets them to 100.  Is there a recommended value?  Are they normalized like many of the other mixer settings?

Thanks again for the help.  I should be ready to fly this weekend.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:11:27 am by 12many »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 07:43:00 am »
MixerValueRoll, MixerValuePitch, & MixerValueYaw are values related to defined frames, not used for Custom.