miker

Multi-vehicle philosophy, waypoints and Revo
« on: June 09, 2016, 01:59:45 pm »
I'm a refugee from Ardupilot who's only just discovered Libre.

From the reading I've done so far, only the Revo boards support waypoint navigation, due to limited firmware space?

It appears Libre uses a monolithic firmware than includes all the vehicle types, as opposed to Ardupilot's build-per-type (plane, copter and rover). 

If splitting the types would give you space for waypoint navigation, is this something that's been considered to open up more functionality on the cheaper boards?  To be fair though, expending a bunch of hours to save people $30 may not be the best use of developer time.

I realise this is post #2 and I'm already getting bolshie, so treat this as a query rather than a complaint.

Mateusz

Re: Multi-vehicle philosophy, waypoints and Revo
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:30:27 pm »
I'm a refugee from Ardupilot who's only just discovered Libre.
From the reading I've done so far, only the Revo boards support waypoint navigation, due to limited firmware space?
There is a disctintion between cheaper racing boards containing only sensors like gyro and accel and navigation boards which require all sensors. Main difference is their application and what they were designed for.

For navigation certain set of sensors is required, since all of them measure something different, all are required to perform the task and there is no way around it (physics). Hence waypoint navigation also needs auto-piloting and that is more advanced algorithm, not even included for racing targets.

It appears Libre uses a monolithic firmware than includes all the vehicle types, as opposed to Ardupilot's build-per-type (plane, copter and rover). 

There is not that much difference between stabilization in plane and copter, and maintaining two firmwares might not make that much sense. But it's not that monolitic, each flight controller has it's own firmware. For example F1 (aka CC3D) targets don't have much of functionality that F4 targets (like Revo or Sparky2) can have.

miker

Re: Multi-vehicle philosophy, waypoints and Revo
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 05:17:58 am »
Hadn't realised only the Revo has a magnetometer. That would explain it.