OpenPilot cc3d connection with raspberry pi for control
« on: June 07, 2016, 05:50:36 pm »
does anyone knows how to interface openpilot cc3d with raspberry pi...

i want to control through laptop or smartphone via wifi....

i have searched enough but not able to find any tuts ...all i nkow is cc3d accepts pwm signals...
can anyone help me..

also i am following this tut - http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Drone-Pi/?ALLSTEPS

in that tut he uses multiwii , can i use arduino 2560 instead and install firmware of multiwii...will it work ?

Brian

Re: OpenPilot cc3d connection with raspberry pi for control
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 06:24:24 pm »
It sounds like you just want to use the RPi as a receiver, which seems like a huge waste.  Why not use an ESP82666 module?  You should then be able to use the ESP8266 module as a WiFi->serial converter.  That should allow you to connect the GCS to it via WiFi and use GCS control to control it.

hwh

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 06:29:19 pm »
...i have searched enough but not able to find any tuts ...all i nkow is cc3d accepts pwm signals...
can anyone help me...
You could try doing a simple search of the forums for raspberry https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?action=search2;params=eJwtzc0KwjAQBOB38eJlDtm01fZpQn4WqsSmbKJSyMObSG_Dx8yuDR-7eQ71WlW9VCc9ETQGjJhwwx0zFpACEUiDBtAImkAzaIFW0K2toYe2zmv6Gp9ee-TC7U6nt3uyLyZt8TglSWlJOPL_9UkmPKRx4Oy7sBW_9prNu2OR4wfs4Thz

...in that tut he uses multiwii , can i use arduino 2560 instead and install firmware of multiwii...will it work ?
This is the LibrePilot forum, not an Arduino one.  You'd have much better luck asking Arduino questions on an Arduino forum.

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 07:57:38 pm »
WiFi may have limited range through and not so great latency compared to typical rc receivers.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 07:05:43 am »
It sounds like you just want to use the RPi as a receiver, which seems like a huge waste.  Why not use an ESP82666 module?  You should then be able to use the ESP8266 module as a WiFi->serial converter.  That should allow you to connect the GCS to it via WiFi and use GCS control to control it.

I understand what you are saying , i will be buying rx tx then...that will be better approach all around

but my worry is how should i connect my raspberry pi to cc3d , if i am gonna make it work autonomously ...

I will be able to configure cc3d with raspberry pi with GCS software , but to send control signals , USB will not work..

so i wanted help that what pins should i use to connect cc3d with r pi , to make it work , that would be a very much help if anyone could just give me a hint..

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 11:13:38 pm »
Hello, I just connected mine a while ago, figured I would share it for future reviews of this post.

Ports of the RPi and CC3D operate at different voltage levels. The CC3D operates at 5V while RPi GPIO pins operate at 3.3V and cannot tolerate 5V. The voltage difference can overheat and damage the RPi ports. Therefore if you want to communicate the two make sure you have a voltage leveler in between, I used a bi-directional voltage leveler. (https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2018/09/using-a-level-shifter-with-the-raspberry-pi-gpio/) Here's a nice explanation.
Just hook the leveler on a breadboard/prototyping board and connect the CC3D's flexiport cables to the HV (high level) channel while the RPi is connected to the corresponding LV channel.

The flexi port cables are (black,red,green,yellow) for me which is (ground, 5V, tx,rx) respectively.
The RPi has UART pins at GPIO pins 14 and 15 (8 and 10 on the board).
I hooked up green tx cable of the CC3D to the UART tx and yellow rx to the UART rx pin as I said.

In fact from there on I'm not sure how to communicate with the UART pins myself and would love some feedback but this does power the CC3D with the RPi which I guess is the connection you were looking for.

Let me know if you guys want a connection diagram of mine.