Daxo

CC3Dv2 with Bec
« on: May 24, 2016, 06:33:44 am »
Just saw this CC3D v2 with bec, looks promissing: http://www.banggood.com/CC3D_V2_0-CC3D-V2_0-Flight-Controller-with-5V12V-BEC-for-FPV-Racer-Multicopters-p-1055780.html?p=O521051806009201506W

Thinking to order one to check it out, what do you guyz think?
Innovation Matters

hwh

Re: CC3Dv2 with Bec
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 06:01:50 pm »
Interesting combination.

It's hard to tell some things from rendered images instead of photos but it looks like two of the mounting screws may be connected to battery power. Not a problem with nylon standoffs and screws anyway, just a personal preference.  The TBS Powercube actually uses the standoffs to transfer battery power between the boards.

The only other thing that comes to mind is I'd have liked it to have had pads or connectors for the other two servo out channels so they could be used for buzzers, etc.

Since they're inexpensive I just ordered one to look at.

Daxo

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:26:45 pm »
Just ordered one as well, the 5v and 12 v bec and nicely placed signal pads are worth checking out, mostly I fly quadcopters and this seams very practical to me.

Tho, I do agree it would be nice to have all 6 signal pads.
Innovation Matters

Daxo

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:13:37 pm »
I wonder could those VCC pads support 2x ESC's.

On my micro with 4inch BN propellers my 1806 spend around 8 Amp tops per motor, not sure are those traces wide enough to power 2 motors at the opposite side of the Battery In+2 motors direct + - solder side.

That's tops 16 Amps going true the board VCC traces at full throttle, and that would probably go down to 11-12 Amps if i use regular curved tip propellers.

Wish they would had a bit bigger images of the circuit, if this thing could serve as power distribution for the esc's as well on a micro, it certainly would make every gram of weight worth a while.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:16:45 pm by Daxo »
Innovation Matters

Daxo

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 07:44:16 pm »
Hm... ofc I already started thinking to design 'Ironman suite' PCB that would adopt the FC board in some neat little micro frame but a second later, why bother.

I'm not an EE and would certainly appreciate more knowledgeable folks opinion, is there any possible issues with grounding back loop to the FC circuitry?

I guess it could be only a matter of nothing more than bridging the opposite VCC + and - separately with say light 16AWG wires to add ESC power routing 'feature' as well?

Would something like this work?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:03:39 pm by Daxo »
Innovation Matters

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:34:54 pm »
Officially I'm also not an EE, but even though those traces seem to start out nice and fat, it's still a pretty small amount of copper and the negative one seems to get pretty thin half way trough.

Soldering some nice properly thick wires to the back should work as long as you can get the solder to stick to those vias, which will probably come with solder mask on them.
I wouldn't worry about creating any ground loops by doing so. I'd be more concerned with the proximity of switching regulators to the MPU sensor chip (still, it'll probably be just fine...)

However, one thing I really do like about this board is how they've put vias on all the pads, that will have a wire solderd to them, so if the wire gets pulled, it is less likely to take the trace of the PCB because it's anchored to the base material.

Daxo

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 08:58:04 pm »
That's a very good point Nitro,

Guess I was assuming that those are the Through-Holes, I used the same principle to get that benefit of having a place where the solder could stick better and ofc possibility to transfer the connection of the pad to the other side.

We'll find out which one is it when it arrives, cross fingers :)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:06:11 pm by Daxo »
Innovation Matters

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 06:30:42 pm »
Very interesting FC. I always have problems with PDB placement. This looks like my problem solver. Has anyone held  this "innovation" in hands already?
Anyway being influenced by a total hysteria around this, I have ordered a couple of those. 8)
(Have you ever thought about an assumption that all of us, hobby people, are just shopaholics with a hobby excuse?  ;D)

-K.

hwh

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 06:42:40 pm »
No not yet, I ordered one to look at on the 24th right after Daxo posted the link.  The shortest one of my Banggood China orders has taken is a week, most take around two weeks.  Very small packages tend to arrive quicker so I usually place multiple small orders instead of large ones.

I'm not a shopaholic, I need all this stuff  :)   

Daxo

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 06:35:41 am »
Just checked my package, it should be here in a few days now.

Can't wait to check it out!:D

Innovation Matters

Daxo

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 12:27:22 pm »
Finally decided to switch to new Frsky receivers, certainly not cheap but seams to be the smallest and lightest Sbus-Cppm full range receiver and no need to de-pin it for slim profile.

I didn't even know about it till i saw it today on my buddy's quad, it's brill! :)

I got it here, since I'm from Europe i didn't want to risk getting the wrong fw flashed for my EU Taranis. This is by far the best store in EU for this stuff imho.

http://rclife.co.uk/Frsky-RC/Frsky-Receivers/Frsky-XSR
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:31:41 pm by Daxo »
Innovation Matters

Daxo

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 03:41:25 pm »
The CC3D v2 arrived so thought to share first few observations.

The board seems to be of higher quality than usual CC3D offerings and comes in 2mm thick board and uses Micro usb port which is very nice!

Correction: Seems to be 2oz copper board.

unfortunately, the solder pads use Vias instead through holes I was hoping for, wont be a problem tho..

On my surprise the package came with plastic mounting hardware which is a really nice touch for the price.

Actual FC board weight:

Flashed with latest LibrePilot 1509 FW, the board seams to work as intended.

GCS downloaded from https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Downloads

Only thing to do now is to build the quad and check how it behaves in flight and are the Bec's working per spec.

Update coming soon...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 09:26:08 pm by Daxo »
Innovation Matters

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 10:13:33 am »
Hi folks!

Got mine and have a question, what for there is this tx pad next to battery pad? The only idea I have is that for transmitter signal wire as there is a similar pad for on the other side for camera... If it is so, they should have added an OSD to this board :)

Thanks.
-K.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:21:29 pm by onecooler »

Daxo

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 04:01:43 pm »
I stand corrected, just measured both pads, the ground is shared with the power so it seams, the middle pads don't serve as power and might as well serve as signal.

Will check that when I get back to the build.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:58:13 pm by Daxo »
Innovation Matters

hwh

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 05:46:58 am »
Just so the info will be here for future reference, the SBL jumper on this board isn't really labeled well.  Someone over at RCG asked so I traced it out and made a picture.