f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Return to base/home testing as fail safe
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 06:56:13 pm »
The OP GPS v9 was only sell by OpenPilot, the only way to find one is from another user that want to sell one.
For little time the quad can work without accurate Mag using his Gyros for heading. Generally this do not work for a long time and finally do a flyaway.

How to build next attached to this message, from Wiki page.

darkdave

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 07:08:25 pm »
I found it!!

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.112.KV3Hum&id=527336540236&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail

This is it right? If I buy this then I dont need "NEXT" and I just have to watch that youtube video you sent me and have a french girl translate it for me. Right?

darkdave

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 07:29:16 pm »
Ok I just bought the OP GPSv9 in China!

Looks like it has a single cable for both GPS and External MAg! So I plug it into the Flexi port right? Not the main port?

And the Install wizard will auto detect and do the rest once Ive selected it from the GPS list?

David

UPDATE:
OMG: http://www.moz8.com/thread-64103-1-1.html

China guide to Librepilot!!

lol

There is a focus here on getting the GPS to work with Nanno (mini) version of Open Pilot, I just hope it still work with standard Revolution bards.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:39:00 pm by darkdave »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 07:41:39 pm »
Just follow the chinese guide, no firewall issues :)

You just must know the GPSv9 you buy is not original.

The best guide is Wizard, he configure all ports for you.

darkdave

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:04 pm »
Ill get a student to help me translate the site, I think this site is very well illustrated dispite the low resolution.

Take notes admin people... this is how you make a FAQ. Notice the Chinese have taken screenshots of the key areas of the GCS and circled all the areas that need editing such as the System Tab?

Thats probably what you guys should also do.

Thanks for all the help FSOH.

David

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 08:02:33 pm »
Ill get a student to help me translate the site, I think this site is very well illustrated dispite the low resolution.

Take notes admin people... this is how you make a FAQ. Notice the Chinese have taken screenshots of the key areas of the GCS and circled all the areas that need editing such as the System Tab?

No need the steps illustrated like that, all is done using the setup wizard: full resolution.

Thanks for the tip, i already highlight areas like that in all the wiki (the one you cannot access).
Little example:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Advanced+features

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Advanced+tuning

Same for the video i did, sorry for the french but you must notice the English comments.

darkdave

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 09:14:06 am »
If anyone want to buy the OpenPilot GPS let me know, ill be starting an ebay page soon for all of you westerners outside of China who want a clone version of it.

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 09:34:24 am »
As the upcoming release will add support for DJI GPS, i don't really recommend anyone buying those OP-GPS clones.

darkdave

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 09:43:10 am »
Whats so great about DJI GPS in comparison to other GPS we normally use?

ie NEO Blox 8M with built in compass (MAG)

Also when will the upcoming release be released?

Mateusz

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 09:55:33 am »
If anyone want to buy the OpenPilot GPS let me know, ill be starting an ebay page soon for all of you westerners outside of China who want a clone version of it.

No one actually tested those clones, how is the signal to noise under different conditions. Some cheap hardware can have noisy circuit thanks to cheap or improperly chosen capacitors or cheap antenna. Ublox has some guide lines on integrating their modules in designs. Each unit is usually calibrated to antenna. It's not as simple as putting similar components together and making it output something that looks like GPS coordinates.

Whats so great about DJI GPS in comparison to other GPS we normally use? ie NEO Blox 8M with built in compass (MAG)
Only OP GPSv9 is supported in current released version of Librepilot, as that is known to work.

I don't know what you are using "normally" but you must be talking about development code. As name suggest this code is not released. It's something flight-test team is trying.
The cheap GPS units from ebay with M8N are a bit gamble, they probably will be supported as PixHawk project uses them. I am lucky with mine, however people reported problems with noisy circuit or Mag dropping connection due to weak pull-ups (bad quality hardware). This is what can happen with every clone.

I agree with Alessio that DJI GPS is the way to go, if you don't want to risk money and get something that actually is known to work.

xfce

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 11:42:57 am »

No one actually tested those clones, how is the signal to noise under different conditions. Some cheap hardware can have noisy circuit thanks to cheap or improperly chosen capacitors or cheap antenna. Ublox has some guide lines on integrating their modules in designs. Each unit is usually calibrated to antenna. It's not as simple as putting similar components together and making it output something that looks like GPS coordinates.

Whats so great about DJI GPS in comparison to other GPS we normally use? ie NEO Blox 8M with built in compass (MAG)
Only OP GPSv9 is supported in current released version of Librepilot, as that is known to work.

I don't know what you are using "normally" but you must be talking about development code. As name suggest this code is not released. It's something flight-test team is trying.
The cheap GPS units from ebay with M8N are a bit gamble, they probably will be supported as PixHawk project uses them. I am lucky with mine, however people reported problems with noisy circuit or Mag dropping connection due to weak pull-ups (bad quality hardware). This is what can happen with every clone.

I agree with Alessio that DJI GPS is the way to go, if you don't want to risk money and get something that actually is known to work.

yes, you are right, remember i just do these for fun :) , not  for business.
the circuit is not test under VNA, maybe i will got a VNA next step:)

Mateusz

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 01:58:58 pm »
yes, you are right, remember i just do these for fun :) , not  for business.
the circuit is not test under VNA, maybe i will got a VNA next step:)

I agree it would be good to make some measurements. But also compare this GPS to other units on the market would be interesting.
For example this post
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/u-blox-m8n-ground-planes-antennas-and-positional-accuracy?page=6

You can easily see that accuracy is greatly affected by many factors.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:10:42 pm by Mateusz »

darkdave

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 02:58:05 pm »
By normal GPS I mean UBLOX Neo 8M and 6M. Why is the choice to replace OpGPS DJI? What's wrong with NEO?

Also please help me with this outstanding question in my mind if you can:

In what situation would one choose Basic Complimentary instead of INS13(or INS31 I forgot which one)?

Mateusz

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 03:29:03 pm »
By normal GPS I mean UBLOX Neo 8M and 6M. Why is the choice to replace OpGPS DJI? What's wrong with NEO?

All those units use Neo M8,M7 or M6 modules. Differences are explained above. There is no such thing as OpGPS DJI.

Also please help me with this outstanding question in my mind if you can:
In what situation would one choose Basic Complimentary instead of INS13(or INS31 I forgot which one)?
You asked that twice, got twice the answer which is a link to Wiki explaining exactly what each setting is, and what are advantages and disadvantages.
You ask the same question for the third time, really ? Why don't you just click that Wiki link and read it ?

darkdave

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 05:24:15 pm »
You mis understand what my question is.

Why is the choice replacement to OPGPS  = DJI GPS? Why not create support instead for both the MAG and the GPS modules in NEO brand GPS units instead? Since that is the brand that most of us here are familiar with as they are often shipped with open pilot revolution boards in a package?

The wiki link provided ambiguously describes a list of fusion functions but does not say in what scenario they should be used it for clarification. For example: In what situation would a pilot choose the BASIC complimentary ? Why would anyone choose that? Why not just choose INS13(Indoor) instead? Why would anyone willingly choose BASIC complimentary and delibrately handicap themselves so they have no position data on the map? Why not just choose INS13(indoor) every time they dont have a GPS or are flying indoor? Why not just list INS13(GPS outdoor) for use of GPS when outdoors and INS13(Indoor) for use indoor or outdoor without a GPS as a function and not bother listing those other functions that no one will ever use in any situation that I can think of? Thats my question.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:29:14 pm by darkdave »