Newbie here
« on: May 13, 2016, 03:58:35 am »
Hi all! I am a newbie here and somewhat new to quadcopter flying. I worked my way up from a Hubsan X4 to an RC Logger Eye One Xtreme and just very recently an Eachine Racer 250 RTF FPV package. My question is with the ER 250 and this LibrePilot firmware. With the first 2 quads it was add batteries, trim and fly. With the ER 250 it is the same but this QC is much less stable out of the box. I did some research and found youtube vids of this firmware to stabilize this QC. I have zero experience with any type of QC firmware and was wondering if I erase the old firmware with this firmware will the ER 250 still be bound to the original transmitter right after the software upgrade? I probably have more questions later! Most likely a step by step installment with parameter guidelines. I thank one and all for ANY help :).

hwh

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 04:19:47 am »
Welcome to LibrePilot.

The FC firmware has nothing to do with the transmitter/receiver binding so that should be fine. 

You'd have to run through the vehicle wizard to set it up again, none of the OP settings will be saved.   It's best to do screen captures of all the existing settings screens before you switch just in case you need them.  And do file->export uav settings to save the current settings first.  You can't load them into LP but if you ever needed to know something you can open the file in a text editor.

There's another user who posted his settings for an ER250 along with a video of him flying with those settings.  https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=1123.msg8189#msg8189  I'm not sure if he has the same transmitter/receiver as you but you could try his settings as a start, it seems to fly pretty well.

The stock settings as received ARF (without the transmitter/receiver) are documented at http://drone.hjns.net/eachine-racer-250-default-settings/

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:28:42 am »
Thank you hwh! I appreciate the very quick reply/help! I did see the youtube vid and I printed out his parameters by going to images from Google. Thank you for the links so I can make sure I am doing this right! Like I said I can fly but, this firmware stuff frightens me! LOL Anyway, I want to thank you again and wish me luck trying this upgrade. I am so glad this forum is here with folks who help! I am a Moderator on a forum for a different type of hobby and folks there a super nice/helpful...you remind me of that forum :). I may need your help SOON! LOL Take care!

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 12:43:42 am »
hwh, I do need have one more question, how do I save the parameters to the quad once I type them into the boxes? Oh yeah, I will not be flying without the gyros so do I just skip the expert mode? Thank you very much!

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:56:32 am »
Sorry for all the qustions...do I need to connect a battery to quad when upgrading?

hwh

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 01:25:45 am »
...how do I save the parameters to the quad once I type them into the boxes?...
There's a save button in the lower right corner of the screen.  As long as the cc3d is hooked up it sends them to it and stores them in it flash memory.  A lot of settings don't actually take effect until the cc3d is power cycled so once you've done the final save unplug and replug it.

...do I just skip the expert mode? Thank you very much!...
By expert mode I'm guessing you mean the stabilization sub-tabs Basic, Advanced, Expert?   They're all different ways of looking at the same parameters, just do the Basic one.   The others allow finer granularity of some settings but you don't need that at this point.

...do I need to connect a battery to quad when upgrading?
Not while upgrading the firmware, the USB power is fine for that.   As you run the setup wizards after the firmware upgrade they'll tell you when you need a battery hooked up.

Do upgrade and erase on the firmware tab not just upgrade.  The upgrade without erase sometimes leaves settings that cause problems.

Ask all the questions you want, it's better to ask and not need the info than to not ask and need it.   :)

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 01:52:23 am »
hwh, again thank you so much for ALL your help and for being so helpful and understanding of this firmware noob and being available for more questions! :)