Help with setting Altitude Hold / Vario
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:28:50 pm »
Hi all,

I am reposting within the correct forum.

I have made some progress with my altitude hold (I'm actually using vario mode but it's technically hold when sticks are centred if I understand correctly?)

I believe my revo has a correctly functioning set of sensors and have calibrated them all except for the magnetometer. Quad flies excellent in normal attitude with manual throttle but in attitude + altitude vario it oscillates slowly up and down I would say +/- 1m. This is an improvement on the previous few days attempts (new landing gear and new props).

Here are my questions:

I am unsure what I am aiming for, can a 250 quad be absolutely rock solid when only using baro(no gps yet so I expect lateral drift but not vertical) or will there always be some altitude drift and if so how much drift?

I read on the forum that too much foam can cause oscillations, how much is too much when using a plastic case?

I noticed under the scope setting for the baro there is the option of filtering the readings, I doubt that this effects the flight of the quad but it spurred me to think is there anyway of setting how much software filtering is applied to the baro readings?

Are there any other less obvious settings I should know about other than the altitude hold stability settings?

How do you set the throttle neutral position and what effect does this have on altitude vario?

Also can someone explain what velocity beta does, if it's used in altitude vario and if so what the most common values are?

My quad is a 250 with 2204 motors 12a simonk esc 3s battery with Revo FC.

Thanks for your help,

Mark